Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] AFC Wimbledon hit financial problems with their new stadium

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Christ, who Project Managed that? Thomas off The Apprentice?

BOSH!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was outside on Friday - there is a small retail estate opposite. It's technically my nearest ground.

Couldn't make out the stadium - but the rest of the development is huge.

Worth nothing that if it wasn't for Bloom, we would have been in a similar situation with the Amex.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hope they finf someone honest to plug the gap, they've been through so much...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Really hope they can do it. They need their own Tony Bloom.

A nice historic club, with a very shitty demise... but since then have rose from the Ashes.

Would like to see them in the Premier League again, one day. Would be a beautiful football story.

Agreed. More chance of them heading south out of the EFL than north into ther Premier League though, the way things stand.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Sadly was always going to be the case without a major benefactor like Bloom.

Think from memory they revised the scope and quality twice before to trim costs and perhaps set the bar too high.

I wish them all the luck in either finding a benefactor or creating a business plan that works but hope above all else they do it at the right time when they can afford to in the way they want to rather than focusing on just getting it done at any cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sure there is a reason by why dont MK Dons now call themselves Milton Keynes

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was outside on Friday - there is a small retail estate opposite. It's technically my nearest ground.

Couldn't make out the stadium - but the rest of the development is huge.

Worth nothing that if it wasn't for Bloom, we would have been in a similar situation with the Amex.

I don't know the ins and outs but I thought Martin Perry's great skill was planning these projects, establishing realistic achievable programmes and budgets, and delivering the project to time and budget. It's a lot easier if you can say it's going to cost £100m and the final bill is £100m.

That said, you can't always know you're going to dig up some ancient settlement remains, or unexploded ordinance, although 'planning' issues often seems a blanket term for applicants proposing say stonework or zinc cladding at the planning stage, then being taken aback when the planners don't let them have concrete blocks and profile tin sheeting in the construction phase.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Really hope they can do it. They need their own Tony Bloom.

A nice historic club, with a very shitty demise... but since then have rose from the Ashes.

Would like to see them in the Premier League again, one day. Would be a beautiful football story.

Perhaps Sam Hamman could give a donation, given what he eventually walked away with?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I don't know the ins and outs but I thought Martin Perry's great skill was planning these projects, establishing realistic achievable programmes and budgets, and delivering the project to time and budget. It's a lot easier if you can say it's going to cost £100m and the final bill is £100m.

That said, you can't always know you're going to dig up some ancient settlement remains, or unexploded ordinance, although 'planning' issues often seems a blanket term for applicants proposing say stonework or zinc cladding at the planning stage, then being taken aback when the planners don't let them have concrete blocks and profile tin sheeting in the construction phase.
I think Martin Perry's connections with major construction (think he worked for McAlpine) was one of the main reasons for his appointment. Guessing there was also a good QS on board keeping Martin up to date with costs and giving him early warning of any potential cost increases / risks so they had the chance to look at value engineering and keeping on budget

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Really doesn’t sound promising. Quite staggered Buckingham took the contract on and started the build when funding is far from secure.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its incredible just how often construction costs seem to spiral wildly out of control once a project gets the go-ahead. Its like the developers sucker in the clients with an estimate of X amount for the whole thing, then once construction is well under way, the teeth-sucking starts and they say "sorry guv, increased building costs...steel prices...winter weather...new H&S requirements...gonna need an extra £30 mill at least..."

Look at the state of HS2. Original budget - £56bn. Now it stands at £85bn. Give it another year and no doubt it'll surpass £100bn+. Mental.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Its incredible just how often construction costs seem to spiral wildly out of control once a project gets the go-ahead. Its like the developers sucker in the clients with an estimate of X amount for the whole thing, then once construction is well under way, the teeth-sucking starts and they say "sorry guv, increased building costs...steel prices...winter weather...new H&S requirements...gonna need an extra £30 mill at least..."

Look at the state of HS2. Original budget - £56bn. Now it stands at £85bn. Give it another year and no doubt it'll surpass £100bn+. Mental.

HS2 is even worse than that - when they got approval in 2010 the budget was put at £30bn, report leaked a little while ago has it at £106bn, or £307m per mile.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Where would Kevin McCloud be without a weekly project-threatening financial crisis though?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Where would Kevin McCloud be without a weekly project-threatening financial crisis though?

Indeed. Assume someone's marriage is on the rocks due to stadium issues? Children suffering? Downgraded plans for gold taps?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here