Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] AJ v Ruiz Jnr

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
AJ was hit with a shot to his right temple I can confirm form personal experience that can knock your balance bone out of wack and once that happens you can't stand up straight let alone concentrate.
AJ will beat him this time just keep the little guy at arms length just jab let the points and rounds tick by wait for him to get tired wait for him to get desperate then pick him off I am going for an AJ to win by a knock out round 9

Agree with everything you said ( and I think I said most of it earlier in the thread:) )

In particular, a direct hit to the temple is the shot that if it hits, it doesn't matter who you are, you're gone. It's not like a jaw shot which some can take better than others. AJ's legs were never right after that hit in the 3rd or whenever it was last time.

Not denying Ruiz the credit, he did really well. I just don't see a repeat. Joshua will be much more focused and professional and will concentrate on getting the job done, not being flashy

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wilder would absolutely ruin AJ. I reckon within 3 rounds.

Don't agree.

I totally accept the hype around Joshua has been a bit silly, but he's not as bad, and Wilder isn't as good as you're suggesting.

I actually think there are similarities between them. Both big on power, but by historical standards, there are far better boxers. I'd say they are at a similar level, but I'd fancy Joshua .... just. Not holding my breath for it though and AJ has a toughie to get through first.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Word coming out of camp is that AJ has looked phenomenal is sparring.

:lolol: You believe propaganda that boxing training camps spew?

I’m very surprised people think AJ will win quite comfortably, he showed last time how vulnerable he is when he’s put under pressure, I want AJ to win but I think what Fury said about sometimes in any sport you just find an opponent who is your ‘bogeyman’ and I worry match up wise for Joshua, heard the saying about keeping someone out of range so many times but once you step in a ring that’s out the window.

Ruiz is an absolute animal, make no mistake about it and joshua will have to produce the best display of his boxing career to win this fight in my opinion, I think Ruiz is a more dangerous opponent for Joshua than Wilder match up wise and mentally.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
An ex-boxer mate of mine totally agrees. Says he wasn't surprised by the outcome of the first fight and thinks AJ is more about the marketing aspect of the sport, rather than the boxing ability.

I'm not knowledgeable about boxing but will watch high profile stuff, especially if it's a British boxer going for a world title. And that quote sums up why I've heard of Anthony Joshua. I saw a couple of his fights before the Ruiz loss but there's never been that visceral excitement for me that I used to get with McGuigan (Google him, kidz), or even Lennox Lewis in his prime. I don't warm to Tyson Fury in the slightest but watching him, even I can see he's bloody good.

After watching his last one v Ruiz, I read a lot of the press and they spoke a lot about his commercial activities, and then I realised that yes, of course, I'd been targeted by advertisers and PR for years, that perhaps he's not as good as he needs to be, as everything about his image/brand had led me to believe.

That said, I of course hope he wins this weekend, but it'd be no great shakes to this casual observer if the underdog got his just reward again.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
FWIW I think Ruiz is a bum who got lucky with one punch, to the temple, which can happen especially at heavyweight and that AJ will put him back in his place fairly easily. Provided of course that he doesnt gat caught with another lucky wild swing.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Don't agree.

I totally accept the hype around Joshua has been a bit silly, but he's not as bad, and Wilder isn't as good as you're suggesting.

I actually think there are similarities between them. Both big on power, but by historical standards, there are far better boxers. I'd say they are at a similar level, but I'd fancy Joshua .... just. Not holding my breath for it though and AJ has a toughie to get through first.

The first Ruiz fight will be a wake up call for AJ. As was said earlier he got hit on the temple, and from now on will be wary of that one big punch. In some respects maybe he needed to lose to Ruiz to wake him up to the danger Wilder poses. I think AJ is a better all round boxer than Wilder, and if he focuses and respects Wilder's ability to land that big punch then I would fancy AJ to beat him..

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
FWIW I think Ruiz is a bum who got lucky with one punch, to the temple, which can happen especially at heavyweight and that AJ will put him back in his place fairly easily. Provided of course that he doesnt gat caught with another lucky wild swing.

Can’t work out if this is serious. Unreal. :lolol: The Guy has proven to have the fastest hand speed in the heavy weight division, you don’t get lucky punches in boxing... the object of boxing is to punch the other guy in the head, so how can it ever be deemed as lucky?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Clueless , He's miles off a bum

Reckon will lose this fight but he isn't a bum

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The betting odds pre fight showed how well he was respected and thought of, which were about correct as AJ was 33-1 on to win and apart from that wild swing which caught him on the temple I feel sure he would have won. Unfortunately with heavyweights they usually have the big punch or swing that can finish a fight if it catches correctly as that one did. I would think even Ruiz and his corner were surprised as to the affect it had on AJ.

As I said earlier he has a punchers chance of victory. AJ has both a punchers and boxers chance.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Personally I could never understand the fascination with watching two people thump the head off of one another (and don't get me started in MMA)

Ah, perhaps you prefer the more choreographed WWF / wrestling combat - or are you just a pacifist?

For me, MMA is the true art of unarmed combat, requires skill, fitness, technique, a portion of luck and a very big heart ...

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
No, but i believe a few people heavily involved with the camp that have told me directly.
Certainly sounds like he has invested in high calibre sparring partners this time round.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Clueless , He's miles off a bum

Reckon will lose this fight but he isn't a bum

Yup, Ruiz is no bum. He’s lost, what, one fight from 30ish? On points to Parker. Decent record.

I think Ruiz played Joshua beautifully last time. He spent all week in the build up, refusing any trash talk, and making our he was happy just to be there. He knew AJ wanted to make an impression to the American audience and lulled him into thinking he could take liberties. Ruiz physique was all part of the deception.

Then the fight came. Wham

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I've got a sneaky feeling it will be decided on a split decision and there will be a 3rd fight between them!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No, but i believe a few people heavily involved with the camp that have told me directly.

Irrespective of the veracity of your source, I can believe it. Joshua knows if he loses, that’s that. I think he’ll be in the condition of his life.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Yup, Ruiz is no bum. He’s lost, what, one fight from 30ish? On points to Parker. Decent record.

I think Ruiz played Joshua beautifully last time. He spent all week in the build up, refusing any trash talk, and making our he was happy just to be there. He knew AJ wanted to make an impression to the American audience and lulled him into thinking he could take liberties. Ruiz physique was all part of the deception.

I'm not sure he was lulling AJ when he was sat on his fat backside in the 3rd.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I fancy Ruiz to win before the 5th. If it goes longer, I think Ruiz will fare better than AJ who will have to box faster or smarter than Ruiz to stand any chance of winning. AJ ain't faster and i'm not sure he's got the boxing brain to out-smart Luiz. Ruiz is the worst kind of opponent, hard to hurt and quick as ****.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Very decent amateur record too

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I fancy Ruiz to win before the 5th. If it goes longer, I think Ruiz will fare better than AJ who will have to box faster or smarter than Ruiz to stand any chance of winning. AJ ain't faster and i'm not sure he's got the boxing brain to out-smart Luiz. Ruiz is the worst kind of opponent, hard to hurt and quick as ****.

good points.

AJ on the back foot wont suit him + would suit Ruiz

He needs to be brave but move more and not come in straight lines like before. If he does that then he can avoid getting caught when he attacks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here