Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Amazon Prime

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So loads of us have Amazon Prime, mainly for the free next day delivery. Mrs W does - I don't. I'll be using Mrs W's account this Thursday.

Something today though has made me suspect Prime isn't quite as it is advertised. One of the Master W's wants an SD card for Christmas. Mrs W asked me to find the correct cards and send her the links as she knows nothing about technology. I find a decent card for £11.60 with free delivery. Send the link to Mrs W, who remember has Prime, and the price for Prime members is £12.90. Not such great value for money if Prime orders cost ~8% more than non-Prime orders ! Anyone else noticed prices are higher for Prime members than non-Prime members ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So loads of us have Amazon Prime, mainly for the free next day delivery. Mrs W does - I don't. I'll be using Mrs W's account this Thursday.

Something today though has made me suspect Prime isn't quite as it is advertised. One of the Master W's wants an SD card for Christmas. Mrs W asked me to find the correct cards and send her the links as she knows nothing about technology. I find a decent card for £11.60 with free delivery. Send the link to Mrs W, who remember has Prime, and the price for Prime members is £12.90. Not such great value for money if Prime orders cost ~8% more than non-Prime orders ! Anyone else noticed prices are higher for Prime members than non-Prime members ?

Not that I'm aware of.

Are you sure it was the same card from the same supplier. It could be that the first one was not from Amazon, but from someone who offers free postage but when logged in as an Amazon Prime member, it was defaulting to Amazon as the supplier due to Prime delivery.

Just a guess.

Post a link and I'll take a look...

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Not that I'm aware of.

Are you sure it was the same card from the same supplier. It could be that the first one was not from Amazon, but from someone who offers free postage but when logged in as an Amazon Prime member, it was defaulting to Amazon as the supplier due to Prime delivery.

Just a guess.

Post a link and I'll take a look...

Absolutely the same supplier and same card. I sent the link to Mrs W who clicked on it and we compared screens. Obviously I only have access to my (non-Prime) link :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0143IIP4W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
If I search for this product when logged in (with Prime) then it is £12:49

If I do the same logged out then it’s £11:56!!!

Sneaky.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Different suppliers
0fe129a6a8ff8916fe705fb482ca5b10.jpg

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
... and different delivery timeframes, right? Prime gets it to you the next day, but the other sellers won't. Do you want it slightly cheaper, or quick?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Haven't prices for things on Prime always been slightly above what you might find from non-prime sellers? There's usually some form of footnote stating that the item might be available for less via other sellers isn't there?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Different suppliers
0fe129a6a8ff8916fe705fb482ca5b10.jpg

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

OK that might be the case but given I sent Mrs W the link surely she should expect to get the same seller from said link ..... not a different, more expensive one ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
OK that might be the case but given I sent Mrs W the link surely she should expect to get the same seller from said link ..... not a different, more expensive one ?

You sent her a link to the product. See the screenshot attached. Amazon always list other buying options, as is displayed for me here (bottom right highlighted with a green box)...

Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 12.00.47.png

If you had sent her this link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0143IIP4W/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

...she'd then seen all buying options including the cheaper one.

(I'd never buy a memory card from a 3rd party seller BTW - chances of it being fake are high)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I binned it off a few months ago. Nothing I ordered ever seemed to be covered by the free delivery promise.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

If you are signed in as a prime member it usually displays the Amazon prime option as the default, with underneath more buying choices, where you can click the link and decide whether to use a different price and seller.

As a Prime member you just need to weigh up the options, of lower price against longer delivery times, and possible issues with the seller.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's showing as £12.49 for me, just like Bozza's screenshot, but I've never logged into Prime from this browser so the theory it is only dearer for Prime members can't be right.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here