Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The season so far - "I was wrong about..."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was wrong about:-

Chelsea - I thought they'd be in all manner of Arsenalesque trouble.
Sheffield Utd - Obviously.
Watford - I might have thought they'd be shite, but no more no less shite than the rest of 'us'.

The Albion

Big Jurg - Although he is banging in goals, so technically... :lol:
Mooy - I'm still not quite as convinced as everybody else, but there's no way he's as 'bad' a player I thought he was.
Alzate - I don't remember having an opinion, but if I did it would have been wrong.
Big Burn
Big Burn
Big Dan Burn - As above.
Andone - Wrong and somewhat grumpy that he was actually more looney toons, than expected, a bit of a waste.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I still think Sheffield United aren't all that and will finish in the bottom 6 if not the bottom 3.

I was wrong about Man City. I thought they would carry on winning every week.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Brighton. Every aspect, never imagined such a renaissance.

Man City. Thought they’d win again despite another challenge from Liverpool.

Chelsea. Expected mid table.

Tyrone Mings. Didn’t expect him to turn into England’s best centre back*.

Leicester. Suspected they’d be good, but not this bloody good.

Sheffield Utd. Anyone who claims they knew they were going to be this good is a liar.

Newcastle Utd. Disappointing, Bruce is doing better than I’d hoped.

Aaron Mooy. Always thought he looked ok at Huddersfield, looks a star for us.

*this may or may not be a joke :jester:

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
1: Everton I really could not see them struggling with their squad, and a hard run of fixtures for them coming up, could see them really in a relegation scrap, which is nice as I don't like them.
2: Sheffield United, a real breath of fresh air to the division and unfortunately really proving a lot of people wrong.
3: Connolly, after seeing him a few years ago against Barnet in the cup, when he got out muscled and basically barged off the ball, I thought the boy would never ever cut it and would be farmed out and let go, how wrong was I and glad to be on this occasion.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I still think Sheffield United aren't all that and will finish in the bottom 6 if not the bottom 3.

I was wrong about Man City. I thought they would carry on winning every week.

I don’t know about Sheffield Utd, they’ve not lost in 7, haven’t lost a game by more than a single goal and they’re unbeaten away from home. It’s December ffs.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Leicester.

Never thought they'd be where they are but they ended up replacing Maguire with the possibly even better Soyuncu, brought in Ayoze Perez who turns out to be pretty damn good when not wearing black and white stripes and, crucially, Jamie Vardy is still stupidly rapid.

Plus it feels like Rodgers has something to prove back in the PL, not to mention home grown boy Harvey Barnes playing well. And James Maddison too.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
VAR.

I expected it to be tested fully before it was implemented in The Greatest League In The World™.

Instead, the powers that be decided to use matches this season as some kind of proving ground while they develop it into what they actually want – leading to more controversy and airtime about what were/were not goals/fouls/cards than before :dunce:

Absolute shambles.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sheffield United. Amazing start, is that right they still have not lost away in PL? A fair few of those players were in League One. Let's be honest, we all thought they would start near the bottom, and stay there, and be nailed on for one relegation spot.

VAR. Originally I thought it would be on balance a good thing once teething problems were ironed out. But it has been dreadful. Killed the game, killed the atmosphere around goals. and a price not worth paying for the odd close call refereeing or linesman error.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Everton have been as surprisingly bad as Sheff Utd have been surprisingly good. I wouldn't have guessed either. Though i'll predict that Everton will still finish comfortably above Sheff Utd.

I'm surprised we have managed to implement such a different playing style so successfully in such a fast period of time

I didn't predict VAR would be as bad as it is. I only predicted it would be very bad, not calamitously bad

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Watford....thought they were a decent team last year, but now they are really dreadful

Huddersfield- thought they had a decent squad and would bounce straight back...as opposed to trying to get into mid table.

Palace - I feel dirty saying this but they are actually a decent side and when they play away from shithurst, I always expect them to win.

Wolves. I thought their first season would be their nemesis, but they are a decent side and will be up there again.

Leicester. As most people have said above, they are a class act!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Leicester. As most people have said above, they are a class act!

I'm pretty sure I had Leicester overtaking Utd and Chelsea, scrapping with Arsenal and Spurs, although obviously stopping them short of City and Liverpool (in that order).

I don't think I can claim that as being close enough for a cigar.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Spurs _ i really thought they might challenge Liverpool and City .
Leicester - I thought Everton and possibly West Ham might shake up the top 6 !
Palace - They may still settle into more familiar territory in mid-table/bottom half but they have got some great results - last Saturday another one.
Sheff Utd - squad depth may be their undoing but what a start
Albion - was concerned we would be cut adrift at the bottom by now.

Squad : Alzate/Connolly have been genuine surprises to me.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Alzate / connelly - didn’t expect them to be the serious contenders, given their modest records going into The season.
Webster - thought he would own it from everything I heard from Bristol fans. He’s been patchy.
City - thought they’d cruise the league
Sheffield United - thought they’d be cut adrift by Christmas
Ben White - from doing ok at Newport to Liverpool’s radar in about five minutes. Wow.
Albion - actually, we are doing about as i expected when hughton was sacked. We’ve got our new brand of football, but no surprises it hasn’t led to an avalanche of points as of now.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Villa - With a huge club with such traditions and a £150m summer spending spree I expcted them to be this seasons Wolves and challenge the top 4.
Tottingham - I though Poch had a job for life there.
Liverpool - I thought they would drop off, their form from the end of last season and all of this season is simply incredible and no-one can live with them.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Apart from all the obvious ones above, Southampton - I thought they would be OK with rabbit hutch.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Like Steve Parrish I fully expected Mr Tumble to be snapped up by one of the big 6 or European Giants for £150m+

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess to spark up a livelier conversation this thread should have been:-

The season so far - "I was right about..." :lol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Lewis Dunk - didn't think it was possible him to improve even further and STILL not be an England regular. So far beyond a joke now that you can't even see the joke anymore, and is now into the realms of surreality and the abstract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here