Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Great piece about fans/staff most affected by Bury expulsion

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There should be an NSC ban for posters who stick up links to paywall-protected articles - it's very, very irritating

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
There should be an NSC ban for posters who stick up links to paywall-protected articles - it's very, very irritating

I was able to read it. I've only got one free article left, but it should be ok for people who haven't read the NY Times or have read it less than three times.

But yeah, it was a good article, albeit telling a story that we've heard in various guises before over the years. One minor fact that may be wrong: it said Bury used the Carrington training ground owned by Man City. I though Man U owned Carrington?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
First-world problems, eh? :lolol: Sorry, wasn't pay-walled for me, but I don't read the NY Times much.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Is there no chance of some sort of Fans United thing here? Is there no way they can be helped?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Their Soccer Club Vanished. They Kept Coming.

After Bury Football Club was shuttered on the eve of this season, five employees chose to persevere without pay. Theirs is a story of loyalty, duty and hope...

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Sounds a daft idea but would it be against the rules for Tony Bloom to own two English clubs?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting article.

It must have been painful for Bury fans watching the Chichester team going mental when their name came out of the hat for the 1st Round bye. A team on the breadline sustained for the next 2-3 seasons purely because their name was pulled out of the hat.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think what got me about this article was that it was pretty easy to imagine this could have been us in 1997 - only we wouldn't even have had a pitch to go and mow as a devastated volunteer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think what got me about this article was that it was pretty easy to imagine this could have been us in 1997 - only we wouldn't even have had a pitch to go and mow as a devastated volunteer.

The only mower at the Goldstone post-1997 was a Little Tikes Gas 'n' Go Mower (suitable for 18 months) from Toys R Us.

The Bury story is so sad. There's 190,000 people living in the Metropolitan Borough of Bury. By English standard that's a small club but it's more than twice the population of Premier League Burnley and more than 40,000 more than the population of Dundee, which is the 4th biggest city in Scotland with 2 professional sides.

I hope they can come back from this in some shape or form.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You can't help feel that the Nevilles maybe could have done more. They are both very wealthy, and Bury should be more relevant to them than their Salford project really.

In one way I understand the reluctance, no possible saviours/benefactors wanted even one penny to go the loathsome owner.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here