Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Best Christmas present you received as a child?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I saw this when I was searching on ebay for something else

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METTOY-VINTAGE-MUSIC-MAKER-RECORD-PLAYER-CHILDS-BATTERY-TOY-1978-33-45-RPM/223733594346?hash=item34178fb8ea:g:1jAAAOSwa~Ndvr-b

It is a battery operated record player for children, but it played real records, looked like a shrunk down full size one and was unusual because it was direct drive and not belt driven.

I remember receiving one of these for Christmas around about 1979, I was 7 years old. It was not something I asked for, probably because I did not know they existed. Record players at the time were expensive, big and you did not go near your parents one.

I was so pleased with it, being able to play records in my room felt so grown up. I have gone back to playing vinyl records now after moving away from them in the 90's. When I put a record on now I still get the buzz that I got when I received that little player

What is is the Christmas present that you have the fondest memory of? It should be OK to discuss this now as it 2nd December.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A scalextric track that my father and his friends got to use more than me for a few days :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The best I can remember:

Atari-2600-Article.jpg

As well as:

5835957.jpg

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
A scalextric track that my father and his friends got to use more than me for a few days :lolol:

Basically this, yeah.

Mum and Dad hauled this massive telly box downstairs and told my brother and I "it looks like a TV, but it isn't, open it"

Pulled the box open and it was full of Scalextric, utterly chock full of the stuff.

We spent all day building this track that went winding through the house, under tables and chairs and all that. Mum was cooking dinner and kept having to step over "Kitchen Canyon".

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Scalextric, when I was about 8 or 9 in the early 1960s. I've still got it in the loft, though it hasn't been touched for years. Probably need to dump it.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I remember staying at my grand parents, getting the Beano annual in my Christmas stocking circa 1974 and reading it cover to cover before anyone else woke up. For some reason that memory has always stayed with me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I remember staying at my grand parents, getting the Beano annual in my Christmas stocking circa 1974 and reading it cover to cover before anyone else woke up. For some reason that memory has always stayed with me.

Oooh, I forgot that. I got the Dandy annual though.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
WHOT.jpg

Not the largest Christmas present, but the hours I spent playing this game with my grandparents, parents and sister was just great fun, and brings back many wonderful memories

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Violet Raleigh Chopper.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
For me it was when little Tiny Tim knew for sure he was going to get his operation.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here