Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball, your opinions so far?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was immensely entertained at Anfield on Saturday, IMMENSELY! The result hardly seemed to matter. For a large chunk of the game, our boys seemed to manage to shrug off that residual fearfulness that is still following them around at times and have the Champions of Europe and PL Champions Elect totally RATTLED at their own place. How can you not love what Potter is doing?

The huge celebrations by their fans when the ref blew the final whistle said it all really

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In the era where Joelinton is £50m and Haller is £35m and both are presumably on over £100k per week, I would be very surprised if we try to play that particular game.

More likely to me is that we make a play to get our work permit players into the UK or look to unearth another 22 y/o from a Spanish or Italian mid table team or Europa League French or Portuguese side

Yes, of course. Salaries.

Well....they will rise....

Anyone know how many players are still on 'highest earner' contracts (several have been)? That would obviously affect the feasibility of a major spaff.

:thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I was a big advocate. Now I worry because Webster seems to be teachers pet and he cant ****ing defend. We leak goals with him in the side. If it carries on we are going down unless Potter sees this and rectifies immediately.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, of course. Salaries.

Well....they will rise....

Anyone know how many players are still on 'highest earner' contracts (several have been)? That would obviously affect the feasibility of a major spaff.

:thumbsup:

No. Nobody here knows this, though plenty will claim they do

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was a big advocate. Now I worry because Webster seems to be teachers pet and he cant ****ing defend. We leak goals with him in the side. If it carries on we are going down unless Potter sees this and rectifies immediately.

Well, Webby has gone off the boil after an excellent start to his career with us, that’s for sure.

I don’t think you can say that this is what will take us down though mate.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

We leaked goals without him in the side too...:shrug:

Not sure why Webster is getting all the blame.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I feel we just get to see the full potential of early era Potterball in fits and starts. Was delighted when Locadia and Andone were shipped out earlydoors. Connolly, Alzate and Trossard represent the future of Potterball in its purest form IMHO. Personal jury's out on Burn and Webster who both seem a bit vulnerable (Duffy should remain automatic choice IMHO) Maupay could be anything, and would like to see an upgrade on Stephens. Overall seems to me to be a highly encouraging work in progress, tho this season is likely to prove to be a tad frustrating. Tho still a massive improvement on last season which only got worse the longer it went on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Webster has looked poor in the last two games but they have been against the two current best teams in the hardest league in the world. He does need a bit of time and support, though it's currently looking a poor decision to send White out on loan and bring him in. Of course, we don't KNOW that White would be any better against the likes of Vardy, VVD and Mane.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cant defend. Cant head and 3 hospital passes per game minimum.

I'm not sure we have any players that don't make mistakes. He's being asked to play the ball out, so in all honesty that is ultimately the result of tactics, and Dunk and Duffy have made them too.

Don't disagree he's finding it tough, but I think a 'can't defend' conclusion is a bit early.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Title contenders need strikers that can grab 20 PL goals per season. Anything above 11, 12 or so will be great for us. If we're thinking it's got to be 20, we'll be forever disappointed. If Maupay and Connolly can both get 12+, happy days.

Usually I’d say you’re right mate, but what you have to remember is that whoever is playing up front for us is playing in front of a midfield that doesn’t score, hasn’t scored and don’t look like they are ever capable of scoring a goal.

This means that if at least 2 of the two strikers and those playing just in behind total don't 40 between them. we'll be in big trouble. We'll likely have to find around 50 goals to be safely mid table. We’ll get fewer from the Centre Backs now Duffy is playing less.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I feel we just get to see the full potential of early era Potterball in fits and starts. Was delighted when Locadia and Andone were shipped out earlydoors. Connolly, Alzate and Trossard represent the future of Potterball in its purest form IMHO. Personal jury's out on Burn and Webster who both seem a bit vulnerable (Duffy should remain automatic choice IMHO) Maupay could be anything, and would like to see an upgrade on Stephens. Overall seems to me to be a highly encouraging work in progress, tho this season is likely to prove to be a tad frustrating. Tho still a massive improvement on last season which only got worse the longer it went on.

But I think we have to apply the "blatantly out of position defence" to Burn. Bernardo is nearly fit and it will be interesting to see if he can displace him. My guess is that Burn will retain his place.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Cant defend. Cant head and 3 hospital passes per game minimum.

With Webster, to me it looks like, a classic case if young player coming in, having a great start, then believing his own press (talk of England calls and that we don’t need Dunk any more, clearly a bit silly) a bit too much.

I don’t think Webster will ever get to the highest level, he doesn’t have the physicality or love of defending. The likes of Vardy will always do him in a foot race and the likes of Van Dijk will always beat him in the air. That doesn’t mean he can’t have a very good Premier League career, but he needs find ways of compensating for his weaknesses and improve his control and passing. His ball carrying is excellent.

Personally I’d set up with a back four of Montoya, Dunk Burn, Bernardo when fitness allows. Webster or Duffy to come in when we play a back 3

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Usually I’d say you’re right mate, but what you have to remember is that whoever is playing up front for us is playing in front of a midfield that doesn’t score, hasn’t scored and don’t look like they are ever capable of scoring a goal.

This means that if at least 2 of the two strikers and those playing just in behind total don't 40 between them. we'll be in big trouble. We'll likely have to find around 50 goals to be safely mid table. We’ll get fewer from the Centre Backs now Duffy is playing less.

Gross (we know), Trossard, Mooy, Alzate, all look like they will score goals this season. We've already got 4 from defenders. Agree that the rest of the team need to step up, and if Maupay and Connolly can both get in double figures we will be well on our way to 45+.

boik

With Webster, to me it looks like, a classic case if young player coming in, having a great start, then believing his own press (talk of England calls and that we don’t need Dunk any more, clearly a bit silly) a bit too much.

I don’t think Webster will ever get to the highest level, he doesn’t have the physicality or love of defending. The likes of Vardy will always do him in a foot race and the likes of Van Dijk will always beat him in the air. That doesn’t mean he can’t have a very good Premier League career, but he needs find ways of compensating for his weaknesses and improve his control and passing. His ball carrying is excellent.

Personally I’d set up with a back four of Montoya, Dunk Burn, Bernardo when fitness allows. Webster or Duffy to come in when we play a back 3

Vardy will do anyone in a foot race. Webster won't improve his speed, but he should improve his reading of the game and positioning by playing against high class opposition. Wasn't that long ago when our very own Lewic seemed to have a rick in him almost every game. He's learned a lot and so will Webster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here