Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball, your opinions so far?

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Well?

We're 14 games into the 2019/2020 season with 15 points to show for our efforts, now Graham Potter's at the helm, do you see him steering us into calm waters or into choppy seas?

Here's my tuppence worth for starters...

I've been at all bar one of Albion's Premier League home games, and all bar one of our away games and I'm wondering where our tactics are going wrong.
I see improvements in terms of ball possession, we're freely passing the ball around in our own half but when it gets to the final third it all goes a bit pear-shaped. I can see what Potter is trying to do and get from our players, but it's work in progress to say the least.
The time it takes for our midfield to shift through the gears and get the ball into dangerous areas for our stiker(s) to latch it onto means that in the main the opposition are likely to have enough players back to repel our slow paced attacks.

At Watford I witnessed us moving with pace across the pitch, we attacked down either wing, Montoya was immense in that game and Dunk and others were playing defence splitting passes, Watford didn't know what had hit them.

Since then, and more frequently, we are being ponderous on the ball, our attacks are slow and the movement ahead of the player with the ball is not good enough from some. Connolly and Maupay are running their socks off up front but it reminds me of CMS in a way, loads of running but little in the way of ball retention or making quality chances to shoot at goal.
Midfield has issues, too many sideways passes, sometimes far too many passes just for the sake of it and without any purpose, and lack of ball retention when challenged by opposition players although I see improvements in Dale Stephens for sure.

I feel like we are missing some vital ingredients like hunger, passion, pace, leaders on the pitch. Truth be told I'm now missing what Knockaert brought to some of our games. We've no-one else like him who can spark the team into life, but boy do we need his type of energy, enthusiasm and all-round zest for the game and for winning at this moment in time.

As I said, it's work in progress but what's your take on things so far?

UTA

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Results wise we are similar if not worse than the first part of last season. However it wasnt the first part of last season that did for us it was the end. I have just witnessed us out possess the European champions resulting in them looking scared of us toward the end at their own ground.

So I am happy, what I fear for and dont like is a VERY large number of fans who constantly loudly bitch about us playing out from the back. THIS IS THE COUNTER TO A PRESS AND IT IS WORKING. Humping the ball up the pitch is what they want you to do SO STOP SHITTING A BRICK AND DEMANDING IT LIKE A SHIT OLD MANAGER it just gives possession back ( see possession vs liverpool thats why ours was more)

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I think you have become a bit depressed and should try and cheer up a bit.
I go to watch the Albion to be entertained whatever the results.
I've enjoyed what Potter is trying to achieve.
If we go down then so be it. Try to enjoy the ride, it's only football. :thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Possession football is the best form of defence.
We can only play on one wing at a time.
In open play it only needs four players to span the width of the field.
A pass is quicker than a dribble at moving the ball at pace.
If a player can only use one foot it makes it easier for his opponent.
Sheer pace is what defenders fear most.
Pressing is not all that is cracked up to be (at worst it is chasing shadows around like blue-arsed flies); the way to deal with the press is to pass our way out of it.

The disadvantage of the deep defence is the sheer weight of attacks against it, mean the rub of the green, mistakes, referee decisions and individual brilliance and skilful goals (architects and class finishers) to favour the attacking side statistically.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/England-Premier-League

One thing I'm not sure of? is it easier for a defender (getting back quickly) to read the game with the ball and play in front of him?

Mixture of zonal/man to man marking at set pieces??

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Results wise we are similar if not worse than the first part of last season. However it wasnt the first part of last season that did for us it was the end. I have just witnessed us out possess the European champions resulting in them looking scared of us toward the end at their own ground.

So I am happy, what I fear for and dont like is a VERY large number of fans who constantly loudly bitch about us playing out from the back. THIS IS THE COUNTER TO A PRESS AND IT IS WORKING. Humping the ball up the pitch is what they want you to do SO STOP SHITTING A BRICK AND DEMANDING IT LIKE A SHIT OLD MANAGER it just gives possession back ( see possession vs liverpool thats why ours was more)
A large number of our fans constantly bitching?
I think you have us conf...

...oh I can't be bothered to even finish that.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Dynamic, free-flowing football that is entertaining and a pleasure to watch.

A marked improvement from before when we tried to win by boring the opposition to death.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A joy to watch after the last two seasons. I was particularly impressed with how we kept playing the same way and didn’t fall apart on Saturday. Most teams at our level would have collapsed at 2-0 down at Anfield.

We are nowhere near the finished article and we have as much chance of going down as we did last season and the season before but if we stay up we will progress, whereas before survival was the best we could ever hope for. I saw no progression at all in two years under CH in the PL, sounds harsh I know but true imo.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Desperately need an athletic forward who can finish otherwise all the improvement in possession and build up play is going to be wasted. Also need to sort out our set piece defending which is shocking. Plus where to play Trossard. He looks great from the bench but pants as a starter.
Definitely huge improvements being made though in general play.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A joy to watch after the last two seasons. I was particularly impressed with how we kept playing the same way and didn’t fall apart on Saturday. Most teams at our level would have collapsed at 2-0 down at Anfield.

We are nowhere near the finished article and we have as much chance of going down as we did last season and the season before but if we stay up we will progress, whereas before survival was the best we could ever hope for. I saw no progression at all in two years under CH in the PL, sounds harsh I know but true imo.
You've got to remember GPott doesn't even have his own players yet.
Yesterday was a rarity as he was able to start with 2 (two) players that weren't available to CH.

Imagine what we can expect when he's had a further 2 or 3 transfer windows to create HIS team.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

No chance of going down, why? We are much better than teams around us. Hopefully out of a tough run of games now and we can start to collect some points. Saturday the ref did all he could to make sure Liverpool won which seems the standard procedure. Should of been a point or more if young Aron had been protected, shame he’s not English in some respects may of got the rub of the green from refs.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I was immensely entertained at Anfield on Saturday, IMMENSELY! The result hardly seemed to matter. For a large chunk of the game, our boys seemed to manage to shrug off that residual fearfulness that is still following them around at times and have the Champions of Europe and PL Champions Elect totally RATTLED at their own place. How can you not love what Potter is doing?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I was immensely entertained at Anfield on Saturday, IMMENSELY! The result hardly seemed to matter. For a large chunk of the game, our boys seemed to manage to shrug off that residual fearfulness that is still following them around at times and have the Champions of Europe and PL Champions Elect totally RATTLED at their own place. How can you not love what Potter is doing?

This, and Potter has managed to do it with a largely inherited squad in a very short space of time. Give him two more transfer windows to get in more players who can play his style better and lets see what we can achieve at places like Anfield next season.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

This... and comparing it to some our our dismal away 'performances' in the last couple of years :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

el punal

Well?

We're 14 games into the 2019/2020 season with 15 points to show for our efforts, now Graham Potter's at the helm, do you see him steering us into calm waters or into choppy seas?

Here's my tuppence worth for starters...

I've been at all bar one of Albion's Premier League home games, and all bar one of our away games and I'm wondering where our tactics are going wrong.
I see improvements in terms of ball possession, we're freely passing the ball around in our own half but when it gets to the final third it all goes a bit pear-shaped. I can see what Potter is trying to do and get from our players, but it's work in progress to say the least.
The time it takes for our midfield to shift through the gears and get the ball into dangerous areas for our stiker(s) to latch it onto means that in the main the opposition are likely to have enough players back to repel our slow paced attacks.

At Watford I witnessed us moving with pace across the pitch, we attacked down either wing, Montoya was immense in that game and Dunk and others were playing defence splitting passes, Watford didn't know what had hit them.

Since then, and more frequently, we are being ponderous on the ball, our attacks are slow and the movement ahead of the player with the ball is not good enough from some. Connolly and Maupay are running their socks off up front but it reminds me of CMS in a way, loads of running but little in the way of ball retention or making quality chances to shoot at goal.
Midfield has issues, too many sideways passes, sometimes far too many passes just for the sake of it and without any purpose, and lack of ball retention when challenged by opposition players although I see improvements in Dale Stephens for sure.

I feel like we are missing some vital ingredients like hunger, passion, pace, leaders on the pitch. Truth be told I'm now missing what Knockaert brought to some of our games. We've no-one else like him who can spark the team into life, but boy do we need his type of energy, enthusiasm and all-round zest for the game and for winning at this moment in time.

As I said, it's work in progress but what's your take on things so far?

UTA

Tell you what - good of you to post your concerns but here’s the rub, I’m a fan and you’re a fan. We go to watch the Albion play football, hopefully to win and hoping for an entertaining game. Tony Bloom has made his move and brought in Graham Potter to carry out his (our) wishes, not you or I. On that basis stop fretting, put your feet up and enjoy it. :drink:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This, and Potter has managed to do it with a largely inherited squad in a very short space of time. Give him two more transfer windows to get in more players who can play his style better and lets see what we can achieve at places like Anfield next season.

Yes, and this is what giving Potter the new contract was about. Ensuring commitment from both sides to give him the time to work on a project. I think he'll be seriously backed in the summer and despite the noises, I think we'll get a first team player or 2 in January

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This.

Back at Withdean, a cigar smoking bloke a few rows behind me used to shout "Hoof it!........Quality hoof" with hilarious regularity. Thing was, he was being facetious but I'm sure plenty thought he was being serious. "Get into 'em!". Yeh, Potter OUT!!! :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here