Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So how do you bet on football

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I would like to add a foreword to this thread... if you don't like betting/gambling, or if you think it is the work of the devil or the start of a slippery slope to depression, drugs, alcohol, etc. then please don't post on here!

I am interested to know how people spend their money, betting.

For me, I take my betting very seriously and spend a lot of time working out my selections, looking for possible games that may offer the right opportunities for me to make money.

I am, more than often a low odds / high stakes gambler. I study in-game statistics to try and find the best games for me to win on. I am not really that bothered what leagues I back, although I note that historically some offer better returns than others. I like the early hours Asian and Australian games and some of the volatile Indian leagues, where goals are the thing to back.

I rarely bet on a result, but usually on a number of goals per game.

I have in the past tried several betting systems, including match betting - I also started a thread, around this time last year on the merits of the Martingale system ( from which I had a very healthy return of nearly £5k, before I became bored of the system).

I am just interested to know how people pick their bets. Is it on favourite teams (Brighton), or other criteria...

Well?

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Inplay momentum asian handicaps. using league tables, form, team news, weather, altitude, importance of game etc. I usually steer clear of cup games.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Inplay momentum asian handicaps. using league tables, form, team news, weather, altitude, importance of game etc. I usually steer clear of cup games.

Agree totally on cup games, as there is deemed to be less of an importance on these, and not only in England, teams all over appear to play their second string in cup games... however, if betting in play, using the stats, there are still some good bets to be had, especially as the bookies, weirdly, appear to think that a "named" team will win over a lesser know team in a cup game, even if they are playing a weakened side.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
You clearly didn't read the first paragraph of my original post!:smile:

No fooling you ehh hehe I’ll slope off out of it now then

Previously to when I did bet on football I would try and bet on leagues that I know mainly the big leagues between 5-8 team accy but had terrible luck last minute equaliser etc I hate wolves with a passion now because they’ve done me out of nearly 4K over the years. My cousin on the other hand for his £2 accy won nearly £70k a few years back

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Agree totally on cup games, as there is deemed to be less of an importance on these, and not only in England, teams all over appear to play their second string in cup games... however, if betting in play, using the stats, there are still some good bets to be had, especially as the bookies, weirdly, appear to think that a "named" team will win over a lesser know team in a cup game, even if they are playing a weakened side.

Yeah sure enough. I do like some cup game Hungarian ones for example. It does seem most countries have 2 domestic cup comps and seem to take 1 cup more seriously than the other.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Previously to when I did bet on football I would try and bet on leagues that I know mainly the big leagues between 5-8 team accy but had terrible luck last minute equaliser etc I hate wolves with a passion now because they’ve done me out of nearly 4K over the years. My cousin on the other hand for his £2 accy won nearly £70k a few years back

I am sure many would say that gambling is a mugs game, but accumulators is the mugs game of mugs games...

When they come in, they make great headlines, but they seriously don't that often, which is why the bookies are happy to offer you deals if one of your bets lets you down in an accumulator.

As for Wolves, quite happy with them today, as they helped me out in my double " both teams to score", combined with Norwich v Villa.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So as not to get accused of after timing, my current bet is:-

Defensore des Belgrano v CA Tigre

Belgrano are currently 3rd in the Argentina Nacional B, and have conceded the lead just before half time - at 55 minutes they have 10 shots to 3 against their opponents, and corner stats of similar standing, however CA Tigre have the lions share of possession. I believe this gives an opportunity for either team to score a third goal, Belgrano, as they appear to be on top in the attacking stats, and CA Tigre as they are making a go of the game possession wise.

Let's see how it pans out!

I've gone over 2.5 @ 1.46 for £200...

******* edit********

while I was typing that, my bet came in - so after timing, I guess!
:whistle:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Recreational Small stake high scoring lucky 15s, nothing under 12-1 odds per match, try to pick matches likely to have lots of goals then keep a eye on the cash outs nowt scientific and never going to get rich but at the same time I'm never going to get into debt either.

Interestingly or not, most of my better pick ups have been from the PL2 where the odds seem to be a lot more generous for reasons unbeknownst.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Stick to 5 homes accy as normal weekly bets. Avoid fa cup and never include the Albion.
Have a little betting club with a few mates for extra football bets beyond our own accumulators. We share graphs, form tables and changes in betting odds from the bookies. Its all quite involved but also more a bit of a hobby from something we enjoy doing and can afford.
Betting wise sticking to five homes has done well over the years, its shown a good return and havnt had to top up the betting account since opened ten years ago and ive withdrawn a good hunk of change to pay for a couple of nice holidays. I think the key is not to be greedy, saying that there have definitely been some daft bets along the route straying from the norm and hoping for the big pay out.
If i told you how big the folders were of statistics for our tournament and seasonal bets you would die laughing.......half the point though, betting has to be a bit of fun, if you are not enjoying it then stop.

Ps. Tournament betting ie world cup and Euros, if you like betting on group winners in these give it a swerve. The runners up market is far more fun,(fun is the key) the odds are much better for the kerching pay out but more importantly there is a good chance of getting your stake back if your bets are in a perm. Most importantly though the interest and scope for a pay day goes pretty much to the wire so you have the added bonus of all the tournament games being interesting.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I made about 6 bets in my life, just not my thing.

Then from this August, I had a bash at Matched Betting, taking it seriously with a lot of research in the run up, I learnt a lot, losing the anxiety of knowing so little about it. I did pretty well, including on sequential lay ACCA’s. I found it was taking a fair bit of time, and after the new customer offers, you end up scrambling around for £4.77 and £9.45 profits. I got bored.

But this gave me an insight into pure lay betting. After some greedy and impulsive costly losses, amongst a load of profits, this is now going well.

Football - I lay bet eg against an Albion win at Anfield. I just thought it such a remote possibility. I won. Lay betting gives me a far better chance of winning, but there’s always that danger that you’ll have to pay out/lose your stake multiplied by 14 in this example. Quite un-relaxing during games. Another win was laying on Cluj not winning at Lazio last week. I do a brief bit of research beforehand. Also best to wait until teams are announced beforehand.

Horse racing - far more relaxing, as the event is over in minutes. Currently lay betting using ‘a method’ I devised. The odd setback, but overall going well. Touch wood, this will continue. If it doesn’t, I’ll go back to being a non-better.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Started trying to build a tenner up in to something worthwhile by sticking small stake bets on. Not going much over evens but won 4 out of 5 so far and currently have £50 in my account. Long as I can keep my winning frequency over 50% that should continue to build.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I’ve got a system running that combines Martingale staking with backing at 1.01 odds.

Not been going long but steady profits so far.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
5 home teams accumulator usually, just for a bit of interest more than anything else. My main gambling is on the horses, I concentrate on a specific type of race.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I've a soft spot for Wolves because they won me £1.5k with a 93rd minute winner a few years back.

Like you though I've largely knocked my football betting on the head. Aside from that win I've basically won nothing, a tenner here or there is about it.

I do like to put three bets on at the start of the year though:

£10 on winners of the Prem, Champ, L1 & L2
£10 on top goalscorer of the Prem, Champ, L1 & L2
£5 on Brighton to win whatever league we're in

Essentially throwing money away but £25 in August is forgotten by the time next August rolls around.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
5 home teams accumulator usually, just for a bit of interest more than anything else. My main gambling is on the horses, I concentrate on a specific type of race.

I’m currently sticking to non-handicap races. Handicaps are in essence a bit of lottery, although there are some systems on the internet where people claim that’s where there’s profit to be made from certain choices each race.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Mostly, spread betting on sporting index. Sometimes they do fun bets on stuff like the number of seconds till the first throw in, or stuff like the number of corners team A get, multiplied by the number of corners team B get. Highly levered, highly dangerous and lots of fun. I won't claim to win more than I lose

The only fixed odds I really do is sometimes I get to the Amex early, watch the shooting drills and bet on whoever is striking the ball well that day to score (though this has never yet worked and most of the time it makes me want to bet that we won't score)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here