Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] National Cycle Route 21 - Gatwick Airport

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I recently found out this cycle route passes through/under Gatwick airport. Has anyone on here cycled this route? Is the path also suitable for runners? If so, would you advise running north and back to Gatwick or south and back?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The only time I've run at Gatwick was when I got delayed checking in and still wanted a pre-flight pint in Spoons :lol:

Might also be worth posting this on the running thread and seeing if there are strava routes or segments set up?

greengull

Sep 5, 2003
use it many times on my bike between crawley and horley. Starts from car park near gatwick place office complex, then follows between gatwick stream and the railway. All off-road, but good surface so I guess running would be fine

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks everyone. I’ll give it a go and report back.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I recently found out this cycle route passes through/under Gatwick airport. Has anyone on here cycled this route? Is the path also suitable for runners? If so, would you advise running north and back to Gatwick or south and back?

I've ridden the road, it's a grim dual carriageway, think I've seen the footpath running along side it. Where are you trying to get to and from?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've ridden the road, it's a grim dual carriageway, think I've seen the footpath running along side it. Where are you trying to get to and from?

I’m not using it to get anywhere specifically, I just want to go for a jog when I’m staying at Gatwick airport and am looking at options. Last time I tried it was a nightmare of grass verges, restricted areas and dead ends. I thought I’d do some research....and found this cycle path which seems suitable.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I’m not using it to get anywhere specifically, I just want to go for a jog when I’m staying at Gatwick airport and am looking at options. Last time I tried it was a nightmare of grass verges, restricted areas and dead ends. I thought I’d do some research....and found this cycle path which seems suitable.

It won't be pretty, but in the circumstances it's probably your best bet.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I've walked along it before with no problems. Running will be fine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Why not pop a drone up to check it out first.

What could go wrong?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have cycled to London from Brighton on that route. Head north rather than south - if you go south it’s basically industrial buildings and Crawley.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks everyone. I managed to get 10 miles in, 2.5 south and back and then 2-ish north and back and a few bits at the North Terminal to get up to 10.

It’s more a route than a path and is very disjointed and stop-start as it plots its way through industrial estates to the south and through a housing estate, town centre and suburbia in the north. The southern route also weirdly deposits you in a industrial estate carpark with all the barriers down once you clear Gatwick...a couple of cyclists guided me out and helped me rejoin the route The north terminal pond and wooded area is nice but brief.

All good though, and thanks for the help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks everyone. I managed to get 10 miles in, 2.5 south and back and then 2-ish north and back and a few bits at the North Terminal to get up to 10.

It’s more a route than a path and is very disjointed and stop-start as it plots its way through industrial estates to the south and through a housing estate, town centre and suburbia in the north. The southern route also weirdly deposits you in a industrial estate carpark with all the barriers down once you clear Gatwick...a couple of cyclists guided me out and helped me rejoin the route The north terminal pond and wooded area is nice but brief.

All good though, and thanks for the help.
What did you expect from a cycle route in the UK?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here