Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Maupay any better than Sam Baldock

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I think it also comes from not appreciating that the art of being a striker has changed over the past few years - a striker was originally judged solely on their scoring, but now we have seen that whilst yes, that's still a crucial part of the game it is about their overall contribution - creating space for others, holding the ball up, bringing team-mates into the attack - the game is no longer 'give it to the striker who will score' but more based around a team philosophy.

That said, I like Maupay - he does need to snatch less at chances but i guess it's more out of being desperate to score again - he's probably more aware of us that he could have scored more so far but its not a terrible return thus far. Keeping the faith, personally.

This. And he closes down from the front and gets in the face of defenders not giving them the time to pick a pass. Love the guys enthusiasm and energy and the goals will come, might not even be this season, but they will.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
pray tell me what you base that statement on ?

1. Sam Baldock hasn't managed more than 11 goals in a Tier 2 season. Neal Maupay managed 12 and 25 in consecutive seasons as a 21 and 22 year old.
2. Sam Baldock has no goals in the top flight, Maupay has 4 in 14. That is as many as Baldock got for us in 28 Championship appearances 15/16, and 1 more that he got in 20 appearances 14/15.
3. Maupay has only just turned 23, 2 years younger than when Baldock joined and has slotted straight into the Premier League. Baldock needed 2 seasons before he really got going and delivered in our promotion year.

I could go on...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The trouble with threads like these is that people feel the need to end up slating Baldock, who was a decent player for us.

Maupay is obviously a level above and will improve further, but no need to be putting the boot into Sammy B.

It's a ridiculous comparison

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
1. Sam Baldock hasn't managed more than 11 goals in a Tier 2 season. Neal Maupay managed 12 and 25 in consecutive seasons as a 21 and 22 year old.
2. Sam Baldock has no goals in the top flight, Maupay has 4 in 14. That is as many as Baldock got for us in 28 Championship appearances 15/16, and 1 more that he got in 20 appearances 14/15.
3. Maupay has only just turned 23, 2 years younger than when Baldock joined and has slotted straight into the Premier League. Baldock needed 2 seasons before he really got going and delivered in our promotion year.

I could go on...

please don't !

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
His movement continues to be very good. Could have had a hat trick with better passes into him. Much deserved 5th goal of the season.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Hes there to take his chances when the come along and that's what he did tonight. Fantastic finish

I reckon this thread could soon join the Maty Ryan and Ashley Barnes threads in the hall of shame

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
Superb all night. Worked his socks off, always looked to get into good positions. Loved him screaming at Connolly when Connolly failed to slip him in, he cares so much and wants to do well. Delightful header, a fully deserved goal.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Magnificent tonight and terrific header. Some people on this thread predictably look like tools tonight.

Yes mate

Anyone want to own up to and apologise for a stupid comment?

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Superb all night. Worked his socks off, always looked to get into good positions. Loved him screaming at Connolly when Connolly failed to slip him in, he cares so much and wants to do well. Delightful header, a fully deserved goal.

Neil can play EES a baller 😎👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here