Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dispatches - Growing Up poor Monday night 10pm

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This technically probably belongs in the GE thread.

But it would be a real shame for the message to get swallowed up by bile, name calling and basically bald men fighting over a comb.

[tweet]1200927491134820353[/tweet]

Oh and this is where much of my £105m would be going.
Which shouldn't be the case in 21st century GREAT Britain.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong

But it would be a real shame for the message to get swallowed up by bile, name calling and basically bald men fighting over a comb.

Need to bring a one child policy in, simple. Too many people popping out kids left, right and centre, with no foresight how they will afford them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Need to bring a one child policy in, simple. Too many people popping out kids left, right and centre, with no foresight how they will afford them.

Apart from the fact that this hasn't stopped over population and poverty in China, where it also led to terminations of girls and lots of men who were unable to find a partner as many, especially in rural areas, wanted a boy. Only children can also suffer lonliness and isolation.

There is, most definitely, an argument for using state aid to try and restrict the number of children per family and to crack down on feckless breeding. Unfortunately, a badly written policy, especially when the parents are feckless, punishs the child and not the parents. I couldn't write a policy that would work for everyone without being abused, the Tories certainly haven't and I doubt Jezza would either as he'd tax the hard working and responsible parents to pay for the feckless. So, I don't have a policy based answer but I do think it's criminal that in a civilised Western democracy there are children who go to bed hungry through no fault of their own.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Given your location I see you're learning from your masters.

It is more than over simplistic to suggest the issue of child poverty is down to "too many people popping out kids left, right and centre". Let's take for example those families that end up using food banks. In my experience, and unlike many commentators that come out with the well worn phrases such as yours I have actually worked at one, a vast majority of the people that use the food bank that have children have had their circumstances change since they had their children - redundancy, relationship breakup etc - they aren't feckless people just popping out kids for fun. One of the biggest causes currently is the switch to Universal Credit - an utterly failed policy which the government still wants to continue. I'm a tad surprised that your post didn't mention fags, mobile phones, Sky TV and 42" LED TVs !!!!

A one child policy wouldn't resolve child poverty. Decent paid and secure jobs would along with a decent level of benefits as a safety net.

I'm not necessarily against a restriction in the number of children people can have for resource protection reasons but pegging it at one is ridiculous. For starters you could wave goodbye to the state pension and the NHS if that policy was implemented.

Cirina

Apr 25, 2019
Eastbourne
This is heartbreaking and to think half to at least most people on here vote conservative. Makes me thinking if getting Brexit done any any cost would be worth it at this rate. Poor kids.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Thank goodness that the Reece Mogg family are well off enough to support their increasing horde.

The problem is, that family is going to get a lot richer once we crash out of the EU. Betting against our Country’s business’ with his Somerset Capital Management should see him well able to double his flock of haunted pencils to 14, all supported by dedicated teams of nannies and servants.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Please tell that to that useless toss pot William the next time he’s thinking of blowing his beans up Kate at a massive expense to the nation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Family allowance/child benefit vouchers that couldn't be spent on booze and fags would be a start. Much more of it might actually trickle down to the kids it was intended for

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

But that would take years. Maybe they should be allowed to choose their favourite and the rest could go into workhouses. Put those workhouses where the fruit and veg fields are and you've killed two birds with one stone :shrug:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Given your location I see you're learning from your masters.

It is more than over simplistic to suggest the issue of child poverty is down to "too many people popping out kids left, right and centre". Let's take for example those families that end up using food banks. In my experience, and unlike many commentators that come out with the well worn phrases such as yours I have actually worked at one, a vast majority of the people that use the food bank that have children have had their circumstances change since they had their children - redundancy, relationship breakup etc - they aren't feckless people just popping out kids for fun. One of the biggest causes currently is the switch to Universal Credit - an utterly failed policy which the government still wants to continue. I'm a tad surprised that your post didn't mention fags, mobile phones, Sky TV and 42" LED TVs !!!!

A one child policy wouldn't resolve child poverty. Decent paid and secure jobs would along with a decent level of benefits as a safety net.

I'm not necessarily against a restriction in the number of children people can have for resource protection reasons but pegging it at one is ridiculous. For starters you could wave goodbye to the state pension and the NHS if that policy was implemented.
You're right, I shouldn't have left my comment to suggest that nobody can have more than one child. I should have extended it to say that if you want MORE than one child, that you have the credentials to support that child for at least 18 years.

Why should people who don't want to have kids, or those that are sensible about the amount of kids they have, be persecuted financially for supporting other people's children?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Any programme trailor stating that 1in 3 kids is growing up poor is talking utter codswallop. Not worth even a cursory look.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Let's not beat around the bush here, the world is laughing at UK. Why do you think that immigrants "in fear of their safety" are happy to bypass France, or Germany, or whoever to reach the holy grail of UK?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
One of my old bugbears is that if you can't medically have children you have to jump through a thousand hoops to adopt or foster a child. However, if you want to make one yourself you can give birth in a dogs basket and bring it up in squalor, no problem.

An IQ test and a home inspection before being allowed to breed? Otherwise, two bricks and a clack of the gonads for those too stupid or lazy to look after their kids...

It's a difficult one when you have that obstacle called 'human rights'.. ???

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Let's not beat around the bush here, the world is laughing at UK. Why do you think that immigrants "in fear of their safety" are happy to bypass France, or Germany, or whoever to reach the holy grail of UK?

Usually one of 2 reasons.

Either they have gone to a lot of trouble to learn English and need to be in an English speaking country for that to be of employment benefit to them, or, they have family or friends here that can give them a sofa and a hot meal while they get on their feet.

The idea that they risk their life to get here because of our benefit system is just laughable, they would often get more money in France or Germany or whatever.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Any programme trailor stating that 1in 3 kids is growing up poor is talking utter codswallop. Not worth even a cursory look.

Yes, people should definitely not trust the BAFTA winning series Dispatches and should. instead, listen to a tired old reactionary on a football board with a history of posting complete nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here