Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Free kicks and the new 1 metre rule

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Watching Dunk's free-kick again made me wonder if the new law on attackers not being allowed to be within a metre of the wall has ever actually been enforced. I think Burn was a metre away, and the wall moved towards him - but has it ever been penalised yet?

Law 13: "Where three or more defending team players form a ‘wall’, all attacking team players must remain at least 1 m (1 yd) from the ‘wall’ until the ball is in play."
"If, when a free kick is taken, an attacking team player is less than 1 m (1 yd) from a ‘wall’ formed by three or more defending team players, an indirect free kick is awarded."

And if not - was it a pointless change?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Watching Dunk's free-kick again made me wonder if the new law on attackers not being allowed to be within a metre of the wall has ever actually been enforced. I think Burn was a metre away, and the wall moved towards him - but has it ever been penalised yet?

Law 13: "Where three or more defending team players form a ‘wall’, all attacking team players must remain at least 1 m (1 yd) from the ‘wall’ until the ball is in play."
"If, when a free kick is taken, an attacking team player is less than 1 m (1 yd) from a ‘wall’ formed by three or more defending team players, an indirect free kick is awarded."

And if not - was it a pointless change?

1 metre or one yard? Which is it?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Suggest you ask the TV companies to get their technology out to measure the gap in all instances where a 3 man wall has been formed.

From the stands, unless the players are standing shoulder to shoulder it is difficult to gauge the exact distance.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I suggest you post the real law before asking peoples opinions :ffsparr:

fdb379f1a0c34416229db0de470fad8e.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Suggest you ask the TV companies to get their technology out to measure the gap in all instances where a 3 man wall has been formed.

From the stands, unless the players are standing shoulder to shoulder it is difficult to gauge the exact distance.

Watching a game during the week, a ref drew a convex white foam curve (relative to the ball) for the defenders to stand behind. ****s sake.

I also saw yesterday two defenders in the same line as the attackers in the little group standing one meter in front of the main wall. It was the incident where the defender got a wallop from the ball in the face hole.

Neither of these gems were noticed by the commentary teams. Fancy that.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What you coppied can not be correct. It states 1 m and 1 yd as the distance. This is impossible as they are different distances.

Clink the link and see for yourself. That is the text from the FA website.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Well it makes no sense. Are you supposed to be a hard away or a metre?

That's correct but it guess the difference between the 2 is about 3 inches so it's workable as a guide for players and refs.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
What you coppied can not be correct. It states 1 m and 1 yd as the distance. This is impossible as they are different distances.

Clink the link and see for yourself. That is the text from the FA website.

Well it makes no sense. Are you supposed to be a hard away or a metre?

That's correct but it guess the difference between the 2 is about 3 inches so it's workable as a guide for players and refs.

"A metre measures 3'3" - it's longer than a yard you see" - from cornflake packets about metrication. I suppose the FA couldn't see the point of having the accuracy down to three inches!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Football, like cricket and most other sports precede metrication and so all laws are stated in imperial measurements: yards / feet / inches / pounds and ounces.

Can't ever imagine the 6-yard box being referred to as 5.4864 metre box ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here