Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

D

Deleted member 2719

It's going to blow, you know it is!

I would agree with it if you said motorcyclists are better drivers. :D

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If you ride a cycle at night without lights you are not a cyclist, just an idiot on a bike

an awful lot of them in Brighton at the moment , last time i drove home at peak time it was the majority had NO lights some had poor lights very few had lights which made them obvious. I thought it was illegal to do this but maybe it isn't. Certainly very stupid though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wonder if this is another of those generational things? Back in the day, we all wanted bikes as soon as we could ride - and boy did we use them! To go to school, to go to the shops, to go round to our mates, and just for fun ...... and on the roads; with lights at night - usually. With rules about who could ride on the pavement - children on bikes with wheels less than 20 inches in diameter, postmen and morning (not evening) paper boys while on their rounds (but not while going to and from their rounds).
That sort of experience probably will have made better drivers. I'm not sure the same will apply to the current generation of pavement peddlers and traffic light jumpers!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
‘Most cyclists’. What an imbecilic generalisation (sorry but it is)

Nope imperial evidence from driving around Brighton try it once and you will see the same and it is getting worse. Sorry but don't go calling me an imbecile when you don't have the evidence to refute my statement.

Maybe they know about lights and they chose to ignore using them but driving through Brighton Preston Drove , Fiveways , Ditching road, Hollingdean Road and Bottom of Bear Road the majority of cyclists I passed did not have lights , some had front lights but no rear lights , a couple had fairly poor reflectors which is NOT a light. If I were riding my bike in teh dark I would make sure I had lights AND a reflective jacket on.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Nope imperial evidence from driving around Brighton try it once and you will see the same and it is getting worse. Sorry but don't go calling me an imbecile when you don't have the evidence to refute my statement.

Maybe they know about lights and they chose to ignore using them but driving through Brighton Preston Drove , Fiveways , Ditching road, Hollingdean Road and Bottom of Bear Road the majority of cyclists I passed did not have lights , some had front lights but no rear lights , a couple had fairly poor reflectors which is NOT a light. If I were riding my bike in teh dark I would make sure I had lights AND a reflective jacket on.

Yeah you are right , but cyclists are like dog walkers and smokers , they all think they can do whatever they like , laws and rules don’t apply to them

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Lighten up or try reading a dictionary instead of driving round in the day time checking if bikes have lights or not. Empirical; only an imbecile bike hater would mix the word up with weights and measures.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Lighten up or try reading a dictionary instead of driving round in the day time checking if bikes have lights or not. Empirical; only an imbecile bike hater would mix the word up with weights and measures.

Oops I made a spelling mistake, yes I meant to type Empirical. So you think everyone who mixes their words up at times is an imbecile , REALLY you might want to re-think that mr f*cking clever person.

As regards bike hating you got that one wrong, what I don't like is people who ride bikes through red lights or don't have lights when dark.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yep, cyclists have a better understanding of the roads, this makes perfect sense

Not quite - I think the post asserts ( and I agree) that cyclists are better drivers than non cyclists: not that all cyclists have a better understanding of the roads.

If as a pedestrian you cross a one way street and (reasonably) only look one way, you run the risk of being knocked down by some ‘kin cretin on a bike who decides that it’s ok to ride the wrong way down the road.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I was a cyclist before I could drive. When learning to drive my instructor said I had very good 'road awareness' or words to that effect.

I also was overly careful at roundabouts and would giveway to vehicles on the right and those approaching from the next left.

You have to always have your wits about you as a cyclist, anticipate every possible scenario and assume that the driver of the vehicle near you hasn't got a clue that you exist (or quite possibly care).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here