Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Oh I know that. I was just refuting the "no creativity" drivel. Last season we were 20th for shots on target with 108 all season. This season we are 10th with 102 after 24 games. We are close to being a good team. We obviously need to find a way to turn those stats into points, but I despair of the people that say we are not creating, or have not improved. It's simply not true.

Football is an unpredictable game of ups and downs, which is why we love it. We are currently on a down. Some other teams are on an up. That almost certainly won't continue until the end of the season.

Prefer to use my eyes (and we’re a bit rubbish at scoring) and stick to the only stat that counts. Points.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The numbers don't lie, how we have offered Potter a 6 year contract is beyond me. Shocking!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7730797/Here-Premier-League-getting-season.html

Brighton (NO CHANGE)

Last season: 12th, This season: 12th

Even with a change in management, Brighton are a model of consistency in the top flight that many of their rivals could learn from.

Mirroring their points total and position from 12 months ago, Graham Potter - who signed a new deal until 2025 on Tuesday - has built on the foundations laid by his predecessor Chris Hughton and the Seagulls have taken flight.

If we are splitting hairs, the key difference between then and now is that Potter's Brighton have scored one more goal (15) than the side that took to the field 12 months ago.

With trips to Liverpool and Arsenal to come, though, things could soon slip. If they are to keep pace with 2018-19, Potter's players need maximum returns from Anfield and the Emirates Stadium.

No pressure, then.​

And the best part of a year since this was posted nothing much has changed, we have once again, alsomst certainly only just escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth.

That said, for who l consider to be a yo-yo club like the Albion, maybe simply retaining our place at the top table should be considered the best that we can aim for in the current footballing climate.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we have seen the last of this Hughton family member

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And the best part of a year since this was posted nothing much has changed, we have once again, alsomst certainly only just escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth.

That said, for who l consider to be a yo-yo club like the Albion, maybe simply retaining our place at the top table should be considered the best that we can aim for in the current footballing climate.

We have retained our Premier League status with 5 games to go and haven’t ever been in the drop zone. That’s not an escape, and it’s certainly not by the skin of our teeth.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think we have seen the last of this Hughton family member

You won the thread on the first page - just look at the likes :lol:

Glad those 65 fans have been proved correct.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's still a bit twitchy, we're not home and dry just yet.

40 points and 15th must be the target.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's still a bit twitchy, we're not home and dry just yet.

40 points and 15th must be the target.

Agree we need to still hope the teams down there lose but with Bmuff seemingly losing they’d have to win 3 of 5 with a point in the other. Then look at t he or fixtures...

Villa lose to Liverpool tomo and it rubber stamps it for me.

Then when we beat Liverpool it’ll almost be mathematically there :thumbsup:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We have retained our Premier League status with 5 games to go and haven’t ever been in the drop zone. That’s not an escape, and it’s certainly not by the skin of our teeth.

Well let's revisit this once we have actually played our final game, a slight improvement maybe, but l really don't see Graham Potter as either the master tactician, or even the Messiah that several posters on this site claim him to be.

I will reiterate once again though, that merely retaining our Premier League place can be claimed as a success, and we probably shouldn't be expecting too much more.in this uneven playing field.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well let's revisit this once we have actually played our final game, a slight improvement maybe, but l really don't see Graham Potter as either the master tactician, or even the Messiah that several posters on this site claim him to be.

I will reiterate once again though, that merely retaining our Premier League place can be claimed as a success, and we probably shouldn't be expecting too much more.in this uneven playing field.

Skin of the teeth? Master tactician? Messiah? Not so sure I've seen anyone write the last two at least.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A yo-yo that havent gone down for 14 years

I was referring to the fact that l see the Albion as a club that will yo-you between the Premier League and the Championship.

I do know a little bit abou them, having watched them home, and sometimes away, for well over 30 years.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Pretty much safe with 5 games left doesn’t feel very tooth-shinny to me. To do so in a season of transition of playing style, with a new manager, and several youngsters being integrated is damn good progress IMO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Have posters really used those terms?

Playing style has improved, goals scored has marginally improved, defensive record has improved and all this with mainly a bunch of players who were not Potter’s signings. I also think Potter is a smart person who is willing and humble enough to learn and improve himself. I am confident we will see further steps in the right direction next season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty much safe with 5 games left doesn’t feel very tooth-shinny to me. To do so in a season of transition of playing style, with a new manager, and several youngsters being integrated is damn good progress IMO.

There do seem to still be a few fans who don’t give Potter much credit for what he has done this season and not taken into account what you have highlighted.

#teampotter since City away when we went toe to toe to them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here