Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Eight Days (Acht Tage)

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Couldn't find another thread about this. Anybody watching it? All the episodes dropped at once so it's possible some of you have already watched it.

For those not in the know, it's a German drama detailing eight days leading up to a comet strike on Europe. It's mainly set in Berlin.

Mixed reviews as far as I can gather but I've just watched the first episode and I'm pretty impressed. Good sense of things unraveling. Excellent soundtrack. Nicely shot. Definite potential for the remaining seven episodes.

Not the TV event if the year (hard to see anything trumping Chernobyl) but early signs suggest it could be worth the time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Couldn't find another thread about this. Anybody watching it? All the episodes dropped at once so it's possible some of you have already watched it.

For those not in the know, it's a German drama detailing eight days leading up to a comet strike on Europe. It's mainly set in Berlin.

Mixed reviews as far as I can gather but I've just watched the first episode and I'm pretty impressed. Good sense of things unraveling. Excellent soundtrack. Nicely shot. Definite potential for the remaining seven episodes.

Not the TV event if the year (hard to see anything trumping Chernobyl) but early signs suggest it could be worth the time.

To save anybody else having to google, it's on Sky Atlantic. Does sound good.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m guess it’s subtitled.

Really struggle to get into subtitled programmes these days! Must be my brain slowing down with age...!

The sign of a good foreign language film to me is when you forget that there are subtitles as you watch.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Yes, it's subtitled. quite understand if it's not your thing but I'm with Icy Gull on this, I barely notice them. So to speak.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Mrs and I watched episode one all the way through despite the subs. I think we were hoping it would change to English. The programme concentrates more on the 'what would you do if you had 8 days to live' rather than Europe being wiped out. Episode 2 is on the planner so I expect we will watch tonight.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks for the heads up, will take a look. Last German TV production I watched was Babylon Berlin which was exceptional

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I've watched the first 6 episodes, as I had a stinking cold earlier in the week and needed something to binge watch one afternoon on the sofa and went for this. I've got the last 2 to go which I'll watch in the coming week sometime. I think overall it's a good watch and am pleased I decided to. There's a few twists and turns along the way and some episodes start with them showing events from the past on some of the characters which explains things about them in the present etc. The subtitles aren't an issue, which as pointed out above is normally a sign it's good. I won't spoil the plot for those who haven't watched, but I think it shows with '8 days' to live as the title suggests, how some people become liberated, others empowered, others weakened and others regretful of previous life changing decisions they've made with the end of their lives now in sight. I'll be interested to see how it finishes up - there's bound to be some more twists and turns.

If you're tempted, I'd say watch it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
In simple terms, each episode covers one day, beginning at dawn and ending at night, counting down Europe's last eight days. As Man of Sussex says, there is some minor deviation to provide a little backstory but I've seen very little of that two episodes in. I'm hooked. Need to finish this shift so I can get home and watch another episode (unless we beat Liverpool, in which case the apocalypse be damned and I'll be watching highlights on a loop for the next week).

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Bloody hell I've just watched the first 2 episodes. It looks really good.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Finished it tonight. Obviously opinions will vary but I would really recommend it. Found the general premise and the sense of society unraveling very well handled. Totally gripped me and found I was holding my breath at the very end. Nothing is likely to top Chernobyl for show of the year but 8 Days came close for me.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Finished it tonight. Obviously opinions will vary but I would really recommend it. Found the general premise and the sense of society unraveling very well handled. Totally gripped me and found I was holding my breath at the very end. Nothing is likely to top Chernobyl for show of the year but 8 Days came close for me.

I finished it on Monday night and thought it was excellent. Twists and turns all the way to the gripping finale which I didn't see coming.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Thanks for the tip watching episode one now. Already hooked.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here