Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Frankfurt advice?

Evening all.

Arrived in frankfurt for a long weekend with the Mrs (Xmas markets and all that), needing decent pub advice as at the 5th attempt we've finally found a non smoking one! We'd like some good local beer and some decent food but not to stink of cigarettes. Must admit, a bit surprised by the retro attitudes.

Thanks in advance.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I must admit, Frankfurt is pretty awful as a German city. Bit dull. Good luck

Can you get a train to Stuttgart, Munich, Cologne?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sorry my least favourite German city. Maybe seek out somewhere that serves the local cider apfelwein. It's worth a try.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Don't go to Frankfurt, it's bloody awful.

Probably not what you'd want to hear, but having spent a bit of time there on business I'd second this. You essentially have the central, financial district (colloquially known as 'Mainhattan') which is a little soulless, but it soon gets pretty ropey the further out you go.

The first time I visited, a colleague and I were leaving a restaurant on the outskirts at around 10 in the evening when we spotted a guy fishing beer and wine bottles out of a nearby bin. There was just us and him around, and it quickly became apparent that his intention was to launch them our way; which he duly did. As we sought shelter from bottle after bottle of reisling raining down on us, we heard the screeching wheels of a speeding car heading towards from round a corner which must have missed us both by little more than an inch. It was a very interesting 30 seconds.

In terms of pubs, unlike the Bavarian region, Frankfurt's not really a 'beer city' and a good pint is pretty few and far between. The locals drink apfelwein (which translates as 'apple wine', but is essentially cider), which isn't my cup of tea. We did find a Paulaner bar, a brand you'll be familiar with if you've ever visited Munich, but it felt pretty edgy and was flanked by knocking shops.

From memory, a little stroll down by the riverside which runs through the city was quite pleasant and there were a couple of decent-ish bars along the way. I guess a little river cruise might be nice.

Food-wise, the local delicacy is green sauce, which as advertised is a cold, green coloured, herby sauce typically served with potatoes and hard boiled eggs. Again, wasn't personally my cup of tea but I always like to try local cuisine when I'm away as you never know when you might stumble across something new that you really like.

Best of luck!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Outside of cities in Switzerland, Frankfurt has to be the dullest place I have ever visited.

I've been to a few German cities and really enjoyed them. Hoping the initial impressions here improve. We headed back towards our hotel and found a local pub (established 1744) around the corner full of Frankfurt fans getting excited at the 2nd half performance so far and ok beer with no indoors smoking.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s a financial centre, and a boring dump. Only been there a couple of times on business but not found anywhere decent - sure there must be places, but God knows where. Even Canary Wharf at least has some lively bars.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I've been to a few German cities and really enjoyed them. Hoping the initial impressions here improve. We headed back towards our hotel and found a local pub (established 1744) around the corner full of Frankfurt fans getting excited at the 2nd half performance so far and ok beer with no indoors smoking.

Sounds like Germany's version of Warsaw. Utterly dull city.

I'm heading to Munich in Spring. Hope this helps

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The place is so influenced by the bankers who live out their squalid existence there that even their sausages have had most of their stuffing knocked out of them.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
When in Frankfurt head for nearby city of Mainz more historic with decent old town and bars to match
I would concur with this and having worked in Frankfurt and lived in Germany I agree with others probably the worse city I visited (or that might be Krefeld).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Evening all.

Arrived in frankfurt for a long weekend with the Mrs (Xmas markets and all that), needing decent pub advice as at the 5th attempt we've finally found a non smoking one! We'd like some good local beer and some decent food but not to stink of cigarettes. Must admit, a bit surprised by the retro attitudes.

Thanks in advance.

I live just outside Frankfurt and have lived in the area for 16 years...

Good beer: A few places have their own breweries, but they tend to be outside of Frankfurt (Oberursel, Bad Homburg). Generally the beer is pretty good everywhere
Pubs: As you said a lot allow smoking, really depends what you are after/ how old you are..
Decent food: Really depends what you are after? Steak: Buena Vista near hauptwache, Typical german food Dauth Schneider in Sachsenhausen..
Feel free to pm me.. With more info/ questions
If you want a good look around town, maybe hit the ebbelwoi express ( a tram which goes around town)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here