Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Election Debate, Climate Change, Channel 4, TONIGHT 7pm

Should Boris be taking part in tonights debate?

• Yes

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Tonight leaders are taking part in the UK's first TV election debate on climate change. Good to see this at last the biggest threat to life on earth is taking centre stage in an election campaign, welcome done Channel 4!!

So unless there is a last minute change it looks like the PM will not to attend and will be empty chaired.

Surely everything to gain for him, especially from younger voters? What's going on...

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Should he from a self-preservation point-of-view, where this is his election to lose... and on a topic that his party has very little substantive policy on? No.

Should he from an accountability perspective, where it's important to hold parties to account for their domestic agenda, in light of an increasingly grave global disaster, and where his party is likely to win by a landslide the upcoming election? Yes.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Should he from a self-preservation point-of-view, where this is his election to lose... and on a topic that his party has very little substantive policy on? No.

Should he from an accountability perspective, where it's important to hold parties to account for their domestic agenda, in light of an increasingly grave global disaster, and where his party is likely to win by a landslide the upcoming election? Yes.

This. Thank you. But I hope you are wrong about the landslide bit.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't care who turns up just as long as all the participants declare a climate emergency and promise to plant 1 trillion trees ...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Number of times "Climate Change" is mentioned in major party manifestos...

Tory - 7
Labour - 11
Lib Dem - 16
SNP - 22

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Arundel & South Downs held a climate change hustings yesterday evening in Steyning - organised by Steyning Greening (not Greens). All the candidates took part. Interesting - but for me Brian, this election is about so much more. Climate change is moving up the agenda though.

chiefkickass

Jan 19, 2012
"Channel 4 confirmed to The Independent that it will empty-chair any leaders who do not show up. It refused to comment on reports that it had commissioned an ice sculpture of Mr Johnson to melt during the show if he declines to attend." Ha!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Number of times "Climate Change" is mentioned in major party manifestos...

Tory - 7
Labour - 11
Lib Dem - 16
SNP - 22
I assume they are in favour.
There's no way the Jocko's wouldn't be in favour of global warming.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Running from scrutiny on such a subject will win him loads of youngsters votes or maybe just reinforce their opinion of him

That's probably the point in that most voters have already made up their mind about the main leaders, so what's the point of attending? The 'minor' party leaders need the oxygen of publicity as much as possible but for the main leaders there's little to be gained and everything to be lost. Has ever been the case since Nixon.

As a broader comment, do the TV debates actually achieve anything or are they just the TV companies fighting a ratings war between themselves and then trying to get max publicity when a leader snubs their particular programme? I think they have a place but don't see why the leaders (of any party) has to attend every one just because a TV company demands it?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Johnson position will be - UK is a leading player. Look at the renewable energy projects (days where almost all energy is from renewables). All parties are moving in the same direction, we only differ about the pace we feel is practical. This is an important cross-party topic and not for cheap party-political point scoring. Good work being done around buses and trains. At least that is what his (Johnson's) landlord for his leadership campaign set out.

How did you get the plum safe nomination for Arundel & South Downs was not a question that was asked.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont think there should be a debate dedicated to single, complex issue.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
That's probably the point in that most voters have already made up their mind about the main leaders, so what's the point of attending? The 'minor' party leaders need the oxygen of publicity as much as possible but for the main leaders there's little to be gained and everything to be lost. Has ever been the case since Nixon.

As a broader comment, do the TV debates actually achieve anything or are they just the TV companies fighting a ratings war between themselves and then trying to get max publicity when a leader snubs their particular programme? I think they have a place but don't see why the leaders (of any party) has to attend every one just because a TV company demands it?

Fully agree. I would not recommend that any government leader attends (of whatever party) as they will sit alongside virtue-signalling leaders of
minority parties, who have no hope of power, and so declare pompously that they would spend trillions on climate change, knowing that that would embarrass the PM, who, unlike them, has the responsibility of balancing many budgets, and would be at an instant disadvantage. The way TV companies plug these debates, would seem to back up your second para.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Lol. The idea that Johnson has any idea about "balancing budgets". He has no policies apart from bluster and bullshite.

If he had any credibility whatsoever then he'd front it up on these debates and interviews which he keeps swerving.

Seeing as debate and bluster is supposed to be the one thing he's actually good at, running away from them is really rather damning.

I get the political standpoint that he has more to lose. But isn't it terribly sad that he doesn't have the balls to debate the most important issue facing the World?

I can't abide Corbyn but I also have no idea how anyone could vote for a party that's lead by such a self centred, lying coward as Johnson.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ice sculptures to replace Fossil Fuel Boris and CPFC's most famous son?

Capture.JPG

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Lol. The idea that Johnson has any idea about "balancing budgets". He has no policies apart from bluster and bullshite.

If he had any credibility whatsoever then he'd front it up on these debates and interviews which he keeps swerving.

Seeing as debate and bluster is supposed to be the one thing he's actually good at, running away from them is really rather damning.

I get the political standpoint that he has more to lose. But isn't it terribly sad that he doesn't have the balls to debate the most important issue facing the World?

I can't abide Corbyn but I also have no idea how anyone could vote for a party that's lead by such a self centred, lying coward as Johnson.

Had you read my post properly, which you clearly had not in your haste to criticise, you would have realised that I was talking in general, and not particularly about BJ, as all government leaders would be faced with the same dilemma. But as for Boris, now we all know as your eloquent and erudite summary has revealed all in its maturity of political opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here