Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bangladesh banned plastic bags in 2006 did I hear.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Interesting.

after today’s reports over the plastic bag argument failing and now veering towards a total ban over here. (and why not)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Don't .... we'll have panic buying of bags for life or some snowflake rebellion saying I paid for a bag for life and you promised to replace it when it died!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you get to the tills and had your bag needs covered, there wouldn't be a need for a ban.

However, people prove time and time again they are simply dense and need their behaviour changed through taxation and eventually a ban.

I see one parent everyday with a large can of energy drink on the way to school, and another at pick. The sugar tax is going to have no impact on their quest for diabetes and eventual expensive treatment. We complain about a 'nanny state' but my goodness there are so many adults that need nannying it is untrue.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I see Sainsburys have stopped providing plastic bags for loose vegetables and now give you the option of buying re-usable ones. Money saving dicks could have replaced the plastic bags with paper ones. Not ideal to have loads of loose vegetables in your trolley and I’m fecked if I’m buying a fistful of re-usable ones. I’m half inclined to throw all loose vegetables into one re-usable bag and let the check out staff sort and weigh them! :smile:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I see Sainsburys have stopped providing plastic bags for loose vegetables and now give you the option of buying re-usable ones. Money saving dicks could have replaced the plastic bags with paper ones. Not ideal to have loads of loose vegetables in your trolley and I’m fecked if I’m buying a fistful of re-usable ones. I’m half inclined to throw all loose vegetables into one re-usable bag and let the check out staff sort and weigh them! :smile:

Interestingly, for food safety reasons there's plenty of people who say you should not use re-usable plastic bags for veg. Cloth that is washed frequently is OK

Soil bacteria will end up in the seams of the bag and you'll cross infect whatever you put in next time. Which may not be something you peel / wash well.

Flimsy plastic bags are taxed at 22c here, and bags for life at 70c. You start to remember to bring them with you pretty quickly at those rates! Tax came in in 2002.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Paper bags are the way to go, I'm sure it is within the whit of man to develop some kind of coating to toughen them up a little but still let them remain bio-degradeable ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Paper bags are the way to go, I'm sure it is within the whit of man to develop some kind of coating to toughen them up a little but still let them remain bio-degradeable ?

they have. however in the wisdom of the green lobby it wasnt sufficient to apply tax to plastic single use bags, but all single use bags. so you still pay the tax, there's no incentive to have a paper one coated or not. :glare:

Not the only ones, Tanzania have banned plastic bags entering the country.
In Kenya it's even worse - I believe it's actually illegal to possess one, even if it was purchased pre-ban!
I have this vision of Kenyans BURNING millions of their old bags in order to comply! :facepalm:

But why are these poor countries leading the field in this respect? I can understand Bangladesh because it's so so susceptible to rising sea levels, but the others?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
New York finally catches up with a lot of other countries and started charging 5 cents for plastic bags from Ist March. Still a lot of States where there is no charge.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
In Kenya it's even worse - I believe it's actually illegal to possess one, even if it was purchased pre-ban!
I have this vision of Kenyans BURNING millions of their old bags in order to comply! :facepalm:

But why are these poor countries leading the field in this respect? I can understand Bangladesh because it's so so susceptible to rising sea levels, but the others?

Because they've got no food to put in them ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here