Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Does Your Phone Spy on You?ř

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Does Your Phone Spy on You?

We've all recently become aware of how Amazon Alexa and Google Home apps have been used to invade people's privacy and listen in on their conversations, and those of us who don't use those apps probably thought we were immune from that insidious invasion of our privacy but that isn't actually the case.

In our household we don't use any of those apps or even use the voice search facility on our mobiles. But recently it came to my wife's realisation that she was being targeted by ads on her phone specific to things she had simply been talking about. To be clear I do not mean things she had been talking about on her phone but merely conversations she had had face to face with someone, and where her phone just happened to be in close proximity in the same room.

I had read about this phenomenon but never actually personally experienced it, or at least never been personally aware of it and assumed it was only experienced by those who left themselves exposed as a result of their lack of of vigilance in other areas via their choice of apps or use of social media. Until it personally happens to you you don't realise how real this capability is.

The ads that were subsequenty targeted at my wife were specific to the subject matter of her face to face conversations and were not specific to anything she had done online searches for or even talked about during a conversation directly on her phone.

Has anyone else become aware of this happening to them?

I worry where all this is heading in the future as we seem to be heading for a "Big Brother is watching you" scenario as this technology is gradually exploited for even more nefarious purposes than merely targeting us with ads. How long will it be before they are not merely listening to us in our own homes but also watching us without our knowledge via our camera phone apps?

This is potentially extremely dangerous technology and in the wrong hands, not necessarily (yet) in the UK, poses a serious threat to people's human rights, freedoms and welfare.

https://www.narcity.com/news/theres...-about-but-havent-actually-searched-up-online

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Yes!

I have a Huawei phone that has a little man in it who counts up how many steps I do each day and reports back to President Xi.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Pretty much every app you install says it needs to access your microphone and needs your permission. Without your permission, you can't have the app. Same with photos, camera etc..

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
They don’t spy on you through the microphone. However, people have given away so much information about themselves online that they can get targeted advertising so bang on that to the end user, it feels like someone has been listening to them.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
What app was showing the ads on her phone?

I don't know. I suppose she could decline notifications when they next come up or disable that app. She only told me about it after the fact so I didn't get to delve into it further.

What should she do next time such an ad appears to establish which app is responsible and how to disable it?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
They don’t spy on you through the microphone. However, people have given away so much information about themselves online that they can get targeted advertising so bang on that to the end user, it feels like someone has been listening to them.

That's the thing she hasn't. That's what I assumed when I read about this happening to other people but my wife doesn"t do social media. No facebook, no forums, no twitter. It really is in many instances only things she has been speaking about face to face and not mentioned elsewhere.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've all recently become aware of how Amazon Alexa and Google Home apps have been used to invade people's privacy and listen in on their conversations
I haven't. What have they done?

and those of us who don't use those apps probably thought we were immune from that insidious invasion of our privacy but that isn't actually the case.
Well obviously they could do the same with phones if they wanted to.

In our household we don't use any of those apps or even use the voice search facility on our mobiles. But recently it came to my wife's realisation that she was being targeted by ads on her phone specific to things she had simply been talking about. To be clear I do not mean things she had been talking about on her phone but merely conversations she had had face to face with someone, and where her phone just happened to be in close proximity in the same room.
??? So you don't think it's possible she's ever googled something related to the subject or looked at something similar anywhere? Maybe it's a coincidence.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Wouldn't happen in Germany

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
All this smart tech is spying on us in some way, shape or form. It's what it's doing with the information which should concern us. If the worst it's doing is offering us cheap deals on clothes or similar then that's a blessing.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The technology already exists and is in place on our phones for someone to listen to your conversations through the microphone, view where you are through through the camera and track your location. It's not up for debate, it exists, it's a fact and has been acknowledged by the companies that make the things. The only question is, do you think there are companies or governments in the world who would be cynical enough to use technology inappropriately? It's an absolute no brainer that our phones are used to record and collect information covertly on us.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's fair to say that we are all spied on to greater or lesser extents, the threads of historical data be it searches, places and purchases all adds up and contributes to your own personal electronic footprint. They know where you have been and they know where you are going !

A small example, Mrs V lives with me but we are not actually married so do not share a surname, just an address, she sells hardly worn dresses on E-bay sometimes and I sometimes buy items of fishing tackle from E-bay on occasions. We do not have a single, joint account, we have separate laptops and phones and I would not even know how to open her phone and use it and she, the same with me. She was gobsmacked the other day when she used her phone to go to E-Bay and said to me " Have you been looking at Fishing Lures again ? " I said I might have been ….. well she said " Fishing lures have come straight up on MY E-bay account as recently viewed items " ?

There you have it, E-bay has linked my search to her address and suggested that is what she was thinking of looking for. No amount of tin foil can prevent this !

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Targeted ads hardly spying is it? If you went on YouTube and searched how to wire a plug my ad may appear if your in my target area.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Google can collect staggering amounts of data on you but you have a choice in that :- https://gizmodo.com/everything-google-knows-about-you-and-how-to-delete-it-1834633034

I work in data and personally find it all quite fascinating.

Without wanting to detract from the miraculous cosmic creatures that we all are; we are all essentially just data points to be modelled.

At the end of your life all that's left of you, beyond your bones and ashes, are a series of values in a database.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't know. I suppose she could decline notifications when they next come up or disable that app. She only told me about it after the fact so I didn't get to delve into it further.

What should she do next time such an ad appears to establish which app is responsible and how to disable it?

Notifications aren't the same as ads. But yeah, it would be nice to know what app is showing the ads, and ideally if you can find out what permissions she's granted to it. If she's given it permission to use the microphone then yes, it might well have been listening to her! Sneaky and a bit underhand I'll grant you, but they'll say she did say it was ok and they were only 'enhancing her experience'. Can she do without that app?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here