Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] R.I.P Clive James

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A great broadcaster but an even greater writer. His autobiographies are terrific and his collections of essays are quite stunning. His TV reviews were wonderful too; often appreciating popular entertainment others dismissed as trash while sometimes skewering shows that most critics had gushed over (examples that stick in my mind are Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and an Alan Bennett play directed by Lindsay Anderson).

Clive James: All I can do is turn a phrase until it catches the light.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Good grief - a major entertaining part of my life for more years than I care to remember.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very sad indeed, I loved his work. A sense of humour drier than the Australian outback, he was a quite brilliant writer and broadcaster. I have a couple of books of his which are compendiums of his columns when he was a TV critic for The Observer for about 10 years, and so much of his writing was literally laugh-out-loud funny. (Visions Before Midnight, The Crystal Bucket, and Glued to the Box - I'd recommend them to anyone).

I also went to see him filming one of his 'Clive James On Television' shows in a studio at the BBC, Wood Green some time in the early 90s. He performed his own warm-up act before they started recording, and chatted amiably with us in the audience between takes.

A lovely man. RIP.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He was a really funny person and possibly one of his best lines was "Talking of a pillock, as I do in my autobiography"

RIP

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some plum has txted radio 5 to remind us of how the Beegees walked out during an interview. That was Clive Anderson. The pillocks presenting the programme (Tony and Mrs Burnley) are doing all the 'yeah, that was great'. It is disrespectful to employ morons who knows nothing about the subject to present the tribute segment, FFS.

It's been so many years since he announced that he was terminally ill that I just assumed he had already died, as I haven't heard anything about him for so long.
In a way, he had already died; BBC News has just told me that it happened on Friday and he's already been buried/cremated.

Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Loved his tv shows
Very sad news
RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here