Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] EuroMillions £105m won by Sussex couple

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
5B57F6D0-8E2F-4D23-94C2-3DC0FD72BFA2.png

What would you do with an obscene sum such as that?

I like to think that I’d set my family and some relatives up for life, paying off their mortgages. Would definitely travel more, seeing more of North America and Europe.

Leaving the bulk to be fed to charities over a long period of time. My choices - Shelter, cancer, wildlife, children, and the environment.

Not particularly bothered about flash cars at all.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
View attachment 117542

What would you do with an obscene sum such as that?

I like to think that I’d set my family and some relatives up for life, paying off their mortgages. Would definitely travel more, seeing more of North America and Europe.

Leaving the bulk to be fed to charities over a long period of time. My choices - Shelter, cancer, wildlife, children, and the environment.

Not particularly bothered about flash cars at all.

Use about 4 % immediately to get a nice place/pay off bills/set kids/family up and invest rest in one of them high interest accounts offshore and all the cash raised above inflation give to charities .

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Chichester?

It's going to be [MENTION=1721]Mr Putdown[/MENTION] isn't it? It just is, I know it.

:facepalm:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd buy Shoreham FC, Pay off my mortgage, maybe a guitar or two, and plot/finance the downfall of Tim Laughton, for the benefit of my fellow townsfolk.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Any particular charities or charitable areas that ‘appeal’ to you?

I already give to Cancer Research and Practical Action, an overseas aid charity and have just set up another DD for The Trussell Trust chain of foodbanks. If I had more to give I would try to spread across a similar sort of range of aid and research.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I already give to Cancer Research and Practical Action, an overseas aid charity and have just set up another DD for The Trussell Trust chain of foodbanks. If I had more to give I would try to spread across a similar sort of range of aid and research.
Would you want oversight that the money was being spent wisely?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I support a fairly long list of charities, with some DD’s going back 30 years. I deal directly with the charities, to prevent middlemen taking a cut, even if that’s just for the first couple of years.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Would you want oversight that the money was being spent wisely?

I think the three charities I donate to are reasonably sound, if I was pushing them £100,000 a year each I would take a very careful look at their books. However, as we all know plenty goes on infrastructure etc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont know if it is true but I was once told that winners are told the biggest problem is their families security as they immediately become the targets of possible kidnappers for their children /grandchildren etc. If you had that amount of money and somebody took your grandson and held him for £1m ransom you would be tempted to just pay up.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I support a fairly long list of charities, with some DD’s going back 30 years. I deal directly with the charities, to prevent middlemen taking a cut, even if that’s just for the first couple of years.

That's effectively what I do .

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Use about 4 % immediately to get a nice place/pay off bills/set kids/family up and invest rest in one of them high interest accounts offshore and all the cash raised above inflation give to charities .

How about invest in Govt. Bonds etc helping the UK economy rather than moving it offshore in a tax avoidance scheme?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I dont know if it is true but I was once told that winners are told the biggest problem is their families security as they immediately become the targets of possible kidnappers for their children /grandchildren etc. If you had that amount of money and somebody took your grandson and held him for £1m ransom you would be tempted to just pay up.

Begging communications too, a lot of pressure applied from people in need, but also opportunists.

I’d opt for privacy, but can that really be maintained in ‘one’s’ locality?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here