Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Electoral fraud

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have received a letter from my local authority confirming that a person unknown has registered at my address to vote in the upcoming election. When I rang the council they agreed to remove the name but seemed completely disinterested in the potential extent of such voter registration fraud. With no requirement to show evidence of identity/address at the polling station and a willingness of local authorities to add anyone to the roll who applies I am left wondering at the potential scale of this fraud. The lady I spoke with simply said that they rely on householders calling them to remove such people but how many take the time to report as I did ? Also, does anyone know with whom I can take this further ?

Jan 30, 2008
I have received a letter from my local authority confirming that a person unknown has registered at my address to vote in the upcoming election. When I rang the council they agreed to remove the name but seemed completely disinterested in the potential extent of such voter registration fraud. With no requirement to show evidence of identity/address at the polling station and a willingness of local authorities to add anyone to the roll who applies I am left wondering at the potential scale of this fraud. The lady I spoke with simply said that they rely on householders calling them to remove such people but how many take the time to report as I did ? Also, does anyone know with whom I can take this further ?

Jeremy corbyn
regards
DF

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Electoral Commission.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The level of electoral fraud, so far as postal votes are concerned, is ridiculous and I can't understand why the Electoral Commission haven't deployed more sophisticated methods to erradicate it. The process by which we elect our MPs seems to be very antiquated in so many ways.

Electoral fraud via postal votes in Tower Hamlets at the past few elections has been absolutely rampant. People have been prosecuted yet nothing substantial appears to be done to prevent it from being possible in the first place.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Electoral Commission.

I looked on their website and they will investigate only if someone;

Pretended to be someone else and used their vote
Made false statements about the personal character of a candidate
Influenced someone to vote against their will

There is nothing about registering at an address that is not yours and voting. Perhaps this would explain their claim of low levels of voter fraud when the true scale could be enormous.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very simple stop all postal votes. If you dont live in the country you shouldnt be able to vote and if you are going to be away on election day you could visit your local council office before then and vote and it be kept in a sealed envelope until polling day.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Another Labour council "doing a Plymouth"?

Facts and evidence required I think. Didn't know that Norfolk even had a Labour Council ? Besides, would council employees tolerate being party to a fraud instigated by some councillors ? This is not Russia, yet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I looked on their website and they will investigate only if someone;

Pretended to be someone else and used their vote
Made false statements about the personal character of a candidate
Influenced someone to vote against their will

There is nothing about registering at an address that is not yours and voting. Perhaps this would explain their claim of low levels of voter fraud when the true scale could be enormous.

Do you not get a regular letter from the Electoral Commision/ Council asking you to confirm the names of people eligible to vote living at your property ? It's normally pretty straight forward to check and confirm on the council web site.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Another Labour council "doing a Plymouth"?

Facts and evidence required I think. Didn't know that Norfolk even had a Labour Council ? Besides, would council employees tolerate being party to a fraud instigated by some councillors ? This is not Russia, yet.

Yeah, to be fair, Norfolk is about as Tory as you can get. I am mainly alleging incompetence in any case and that can be achieved by any party. Any fraud being committed is simply going on under the noses of an indifferent authority.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Do you not get a regular letter from the Electoral Commision/ Council asking you to confirm the names of people eligible to vote living at your property ? It's normally pretty straight forward to check and confirm on the council web site.

Yup, did that about a month ago. The person who has registered at my address did so since I sent that letter and remarkably the council did not deem that in any way suspicious.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

You`ve got name removed.... why on earth do you wish to take it further !!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Very simple stop all postal votes. If you dont live in the country you shouldnt be able to vote and if you are going to be away on election day you could visit your local council office before then and vote and it be kept in a sealed envelope until polling day.

So how do housebound disabled people vote under your system of no postal votes

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I have a person, two in fact (that I know of) in my block of flats who cannot get round to the polling station or into town. They are disabled.

So, how do they vote without using the postal option ?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Actually you don’t even need the card. I always take it just in case as I also cannot understand it but all you have to do is give them your name.

Yes, I have always found that rather odd too. In South Africa you have to show your ID book and once you have voted you have a a small bit of indelible ink put a fingernail to stop people voting twice.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It has always amazed me that all you have to do to vote is rock up to the polling station with a card that came through the door, no other ID required. Ridiculous really.

In the EU election we didn't need to bring anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here