Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best and worst of the season so far

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
While we're on mediawatch, The Guardian is doing a team-by-team "best and worst of the season so far". Here's ours.

Brighton
"Best performance? Beating Spurs 3-0 days after they lost 7-2 to Bayern. We were fearless in a win as impressive as it was unexpected, with two goals for teenager Aaron Connolly on his full debut. The crowd sang “we want seven”.

And the worst? Losing at Old Trafford. In the past we’ve been unlucky to come away from there with nothing – this time we never got going.

Happy with the manager? The transformation has been instant: we’re now creative and exciting. It’s magical.

Why I love … Leandro Trossard A brilliant signing. He missed a few games through injury but turned the match against Everton after coming on as sub, then scored the first and made the second against Norwich. The only worry is whether we can hold on to him.

What is “the Brighton way”? We’ve added style to never giving up.

Which figure from the past would you most want to bring back now? Gary Hart. For his pace, non-stop running and deadly precision in front of goal. He'd be a brilliant addition to this team.

How are you feeling about VAR? I loved it in the Everton game when it noticed Connolly had been trodden on in the area. But mostly it’s frustrating. It doesn’t stop mistakes.

Funniest moment so far … Back in April BT’s Jake Humphrey tweeted: 'Having watched Brighton today, and I know I’m not impartial, but you really should be pleased about the prospect of an expansive, exciting, ambitious Norwich team full of home-grown talents joining the Premier League.' Which made beating a dull, disorganised Norwich side at the Amex that bit sweeter."

• Steph Fincham Observer reader

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
While we're on mediawatch, The Guardian is doing a team-by-team "best and worst of the season so far". Here's ours.

Brighton
"Best performance? Beating Spurs 3-0 days after they lost 7-2 to Bayern. We were fearless in a win as impressive as it was unexpected, with two goals for teenager Aaron Connolly on his full debut. The crowd sang “we want seven”.

And the worst? Losing at Old Trafford. In the past we’ve been unlucky to come away from there with nothing – this time we never got going.

Happy with the manager? The transformation has been instant: we’re now creative and exciting. It’s magical.

Why I love … Leandro Trossard A brilliant signing. He missed a few games through injury but turned the match against Everton after coming on as sub, then scored the first and made the second against Norwich. The only worry is whether we can hold on to him.

What is “the Brighton way”? We’ve added style to never giving up.

Which figure from the past would you most want to bring back now? Gary Hart. For his pace, non-stop running and deadly precision in front of goal. He'd be a brilliant addition to this team.

How are you feeling about VAR? I loved it in the Everton game when it noticed Connolly had been trodden on in the area. But mostly it’s frustrating. It doesn’t stop mistakes.

Funniest moment so far … Back in April BT’s Jake Humphrey tweeted: 'Having watched Brighton today, and I know I’m not impartial, but you really should be pleased about the prospect of an expansive, exciting, ambitious Norwich team full of home-grown talents joining the Premier League.' Which made beating a dull, disorganised Norwich side at the Amex that bit sweeter."

• Steph Fincham Observer reader

Nice edit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hart was a non league scuffler who was lucky to get a contract here but it's a trendy name for UBER fans to drop to try and let people know they went to Gillingham

Jeff Minton, Gary Hart and Rod Thomas often made that trek to Gillingham bearable, I suppose you gave up going until we came back to Withdean :wink:

I am obviously speaking as an Uber fan here :smile:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Jeff Minton, Gary Hart and Rod Thomas often made that trek to Gillingham bearable, I suppose you gave up going until we came back to Withdean :wink:

I am obviously speaking as an Uber fan here :smile:

Uber would have meant including Michael Mahoney-Johnson and Valur Gislason, arguably. :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The 2 stand out performances are very easy to highlight. The best being the win v Spurs and the worst being Saturday against Leicester.

Watford away and Spurs at home, comparably good, for me.

Southampton at home (albeit with the stupid red card) a much worse performance and result,than a 2-0 defeat to the most in-form side in the country.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Vicente, Bridcutt, Knockaert, Zamora, Ulloa would all have been a better choice than Hart

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Hart was a non league scuffler who was lucky to get a contract here but it's a trendy name for UBER fans to drop to try and let people know they went to Gillingham

Nah, you're thinking of Richie Barker

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watford away and Spurs at home, comparably good, for me.

Southampton at home (albeit with the stupid red card) a much worse performance and result,than a 2-0 defeat to the most in-form side in the country.

I went for the worst being v Leicester as we were awful and given a lesson after being 2nd best in every department. We were out played and 2nd best ion our actions and thoughts so mych so that even GP was out manoeuvred by Brendan Rogers, whihc is no disgrace as I rate BR as a very good manager. GP will learn from his mistakes and games like Saturdays.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I went for the worst being v Leicester as we were awful and given a lesson after being 2nd best in every department. We were out played and 2nd best ion our actions and thoughts so mych so that even GP was out manoeuvred by Brendan Rogers, whihc is no disgrace as I rate BR as a very good manager. GP will learn from his mistakes and games like Saturdays.

The form team at the top of the league outclasses lower Premier League club away from home shock. Not sure. with the gulf in class between the players that GP can be blamed. If we’d stuck 10 men behind the ball the chances are the result would have been the same. I thought we managed well but were inevitably outdone by pace and class.

Did you really expect us to get a better result, irrespective of how we played? We were in the game until they scored. No gripes from me.

Look forward to your comments about how we feck up at Liverpool :smile:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From 3pm it was just a matter of time before Leicester scored as they were quicker than us both on the ball and in the thinking. I thin k that we could do ok at Liverpool as they are not so obviously quick and we shall have Dunk instead of either Webster Duffy or Burn take your pick. I would be happier of Bernardo was available for selection.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Do me a favour!

'Awful' is getting d1cked by Leicester as Southampton did.

'Awful', according to many, was the end of last season grinding out results (or trying to), by basically camping in our own half.

'Awful' is having no possession, showing a lack of desire and not being in the game at ANY point for the 90 minutes.

Saturday was none of those things. The likelihood was that Leicester would always win on Saturday, anyone who REALLY thinks we had a chance needs to have a word with themselves and remind themselves that GP can't work miracles and the team is very much a 'work in progress'...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do me a favour!

'Awful' is getting d1cked by Leicester as Southampton did.

'Awful', according to many, was the end of last season grinding out results (or trying to), by basically camping in our own half.

'Awful' is having no possession, showing a lack of desire and not being in the game at ANY point for the 90 minutes.

Saturday was none of those things. The likelihood was that Leicester would always win on Saturday, anyone who REALLY thinks we had a chance needs to have a word with themselves and remind themselves that GP can't work miracles and the team is very much a 'work in progress'...

Awful is being 2nd best through out and in every department and made to look 2nd rate.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
From 3pm it was just a matter of time before Leicester scored as they were quicker than us both on the ball and in the thinking. I thin k that we could do ok at Liverpool as they are not so obviously quick and we shall have Dunk instead of either Webster Duffy or Burn take your pick. I would be happier of Bernardo was available for selection.

giphy.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here