Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter SHREDDED by Cascarino

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Writing in his 'Weekend Talking Points' column in The Times today. A well regarded figure in the game and a highly respected columnist, he doesn't mince his words.

"Graham Potter has come in with a new idea of how he wants to play with Brighton. But I thought he used the worst tactic you could ever implement against Jamie Vardy - three at the back with wing backs. I was amazed that that was what he was planning as soon as I saw the team sheet. What that gives a striker like Vardy is space. The wing backs push forward, and the wider two of the three at the back inevitably push out a bit to cover more space. That creates gaps around them, and is inevitably a recipe for disaster against Vardy.

I lost count of the number of times he got in those gaps, and he really stuck it to the Brighton fans who were giving him stick all afternoon. I was at the game, and the abuse that rained down from the stands on the final whistle was deafening. On this evidence, Potter do well to still be in this job beyond the turn of the year. Shambolic."

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Writing in his 'Weekend Talking Points' column in The Times today. A well regarded figure in the game and a highly respected columnist, he doesn't mince his words.

"Graham Potter has come in with a new idea of how he wants to play with Brighton. But I thought he used the worst tactic you could ever implement against Jamie Vardy - three at the back with wing backs. I was amazed that that was what he was planning as soon as I saw the team sheet. What that gives a striker like Vardy is space. The wing backs push forward, and the wider two of the three at the back inevitably push out a bit to cover more space. That creates gaps around them, and is inevitably a recipe for disaster against Vardy.

I lost count of the number of times he got in those gaps, and he really stuck it to the Brighton fans who were giving him stick all afternoon. I was at the game, and the abuse that rained down from the stands on the final whistle was deafening. On this evidence, Potter do well to still be in this job beyond the turn of the year. Shambolic."

He's more or less right about tactics, but I thought the booing at the end was aimed at The Complete and Utter Shyster, not Vardy. I didn't hear any abuse directed at Vardy.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

When the ruddy hell did we give him any abuse? What absolute bollox. I agree with the rest though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He did well to find anyone left in the ground, at full time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Did we give him abuse all game? Maddison got a bit of an earful, don't remember anything memorable aimed toward Vardy. :shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I as others have stated, heard zero abuse towards Vardy.

No doubt lazy journalism and taken from a Leicester fans social media account who wasn't at the game.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He's more or less right about tactics, but I thought the booing at the end was aimed at The Complete and Utter Shyster, not Vardy. I didn't hear any abuse directed at Vardy.

I agree. The booing started as the CAUS walked towards the tunnel with his assistants.

I didn't hear any abuse towards Vardy either. The only jeers I heard were directed at Maddison.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I like GP’s bravery although I thought he got his tactics wrong in the last two matches. Utd away was definitely an extra man in midfield Mooy would of been perfect. Saturday we should of looked to play on the break and need Gross from kick off. Oh well to late now.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Didn't see or hear any abuse aimed at Vardy. Problem is we all knew pre match exactly what he was going to do, running at our defence very fast, and that is what he done.
I don't think Vardy is a good player, certainly not international standard, but he is fast and as such the team use him to run half the length of the pitch. It works, end of.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Which Cascarino is it ? - Tony ?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Utter rubbish, they caught us on the counter because we over committed at the corner nothing to do with playing 3 at the back. I thought Perez looked the better of the pair. And absolutely no abuse was aimed at Vardy, same old false sensationalist journalism.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He has ignored the fact that Vardy has scored in the preceding 3 games against us when Chris did not have 3 at the back and that Dunk was absent in this game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Would that be the Tony Cascarino who was in the same Irish team as one Chris Hughton? That Cascarino?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Utter rubbish, they caught us on the counter because we over committed at the corner nothing to do with playing 3 at the back. I thought Perez looked the better of the pair. And absolutely no abuse was aimed at Vardy, same old false sensationalist journalism.

I thought they tore through us first 30mins, and a combination of a bit of good fortune and poor finishing kept us in the game. He was given far too much space as was Perez. Leicester's tactics worked well because they kept their front 3 well spaced out, and Solly in particular really struggled with working out if should mark Perez or not. As [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] has said above, a lot of that was down to Dunk's absence and no clear leadership voice back there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which Cascarino is it ? - Tony ?

Is there another one then ?

As an aside, Leicester have now scored 17 consecutive PL goals without conceding. The St Mary's Massacre obviously accounts for a slab of that, but its still impressive.

Whilst Liverpool have not kept a clean sheet in 10 games across all competitions, their worst defensive run since 2006. So you know whats going to happen next...

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

Tony SPENCErino

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I thought they tore through us first 30mins, and a combination of a bit of good fortune and poor finishing kept us in the game. He was given far too much space as was Perez. Leicester's tactics worked well because they kept their front 3 well spaced out, and Solly in particular really struggled with working out if should mark Perez or not.

I know what you’re saying, we were very fortunate but it wasn’t because Vardy was running us ragged that first half hour, the whole Leicester team were just bossing it. They are a better team than us simple as that, it’s stupid to suggest we lost because we played 3-5-2 IMO.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here