Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Work experience - carpenter

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My 14-year-old son needs to find some work experience this (school) year and is really interested in carpentry. Is anyone out there a chippy in B&H who can offer some advice about the best way to proceed?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
My daughter is at College doing Carpentry & Joinery.

We found that builders/developers weren't interested because of the extra H&S considerations. "Oh we can't have her carrying timber up and down ladders without supervision and I haven't got the men for that" was a typical response.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My daughter is at College doing Carpentry & Joinery.

We found that builders/developers weren't interested because of the extra H&S considerations. "Oh we can't have her carrying timber up and down ladders without supervision and I haven't got the men for that" was a typical response.

Not surprised.......we can't even take kids into the bank on work experience these days. HR 'policies' around screening, contracts, conflicts of interest (ie employing relations), minimum wage etc etc have just made it too difficult. Great shame.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think that’ll be a struggle. To get onto site he’s going to need a CSCS card and a lot of supervision. Something I don’t think he’ll get at 14.
At such a young age I’d recommend just getting some basic tools and some wood in and letting him tinker in the garage, perhaps follow some YouTube tutorials or a good book to learn from. His options will vastly expanded when he hits 16.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think that’ll be a struggle. To get onto site he’s going to need a CSCS card and a lot of supervision. Something I don’t think he’ll get at 14.
At such a young age I’d recommend just getting some basic tools and some wood in and letting him tinker in the garage, perhaps follow some YouTube tutorials or a good book to learn from. His options will vastly expanded when he hits 16.

I work with a company in North London where I go into schools and teach interview techniques to Students from Year 8 upwards, so there are companies who work with school age kids at that age. They help kids find ''work experience'' placements even that young.

He should have a School Careers Department who can guide him to those employers who would take him on. It's almost certain he won't be able to do ''on site work'' but there will be companies who would teach him the workings of the business ''in house'' though.

At 14 the only thing that can't be done. He wouldn't be able to go into a ''one man band organisation'' - That's because they have to be supervised by more than one Adult at any given time.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He should have a School Careers Department who can guide him to those employers who would take him on. It's almost certain he won't be able to do ''on site work'' but there will be companies who would teach him the workings of the business ''in house'' though.

The school haven't been much help TBH; we've been told to see what we can find ourselves.

Do you have a local 'Men in sheds' group near to you? Whilst it may not be working on a building site, there would be plenty there to share experiences and give practical advice / help with learning tools etc.

That would be perfect, except that it's for 18+ only. They may have some ideas though, I'll contact them - thanks for that

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be honest - work experience at school is a waste of time. Just take whatever they offer. Reality is with a week anywhere they're not going to get much

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The school haven't been much help TBH; we've been told to see what we can find ourselves.

That would be perfect, except that it's for 18+ only. They may have some ideas though, I'll contact them - thanks for that

google Brighton carpenters .... ring up a few I`m sure someone would be willing to help your lad !

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There's a company in Partridge Green that makes wooden cabinets for speakers which are used by a lot of venues. I imagine there would be plenty to learn from them for a week and they are more likely to accept a work experience placement than a self employed carpenter who won't be able to tell you where he may be in 3 months time

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
If the school isn't being much help find out if they have an Enterprise Advisor. Many schools do and they will be more help perhaps. EAs are volunteers who support schools with their careers provision, finding friendly employers, sorting out mock interview days etc. Unfortunately many schools don't have enough staff time to make use of them even if they have one assigned, so a direct approach might work.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Let me check tomorrow with our HR Department to find the name of the company that we work with in North London - If you contact them. They might be able to point you in the direction of a similar type company which do what they do in the Brighton and Hove Region.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Let me check tomorrow with our HR Department to find the name of the company that we work with in North London - If you contact them. They might be able to point you in the direction of a similar type company which do what they do in the Brighton and Hove Region.

Cheers for that

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My 14-year-old son needs to find some work experience this (school) year and is really interested in carpentry. Is anyone out there a chippy in B&H who can offer some advice about the best way to proceed?

Sent yo a PM with a company to try contacting for some info

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here