Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The origins of "Youuuuuuuure s*** aahhhhh"

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If my memory serves me correctly it was a Tuesday night in August 1985 and Sheffield United were the visitors to the Goldstone, John Burridge was the goalkeeper under scrutiny by the North Stand, and I recall at some point the PA announcer either Tony Millard or John Henty asked the North Stand to stop the abusive chant.

I was in the Chicken Run that night as it was a warm summer's evening, but were any current NSCers in the North Stand that night and gave the ex Palace keeper some stick?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Could well have been. My strongest memory of that time/nature is when Peter Shilton came, and the North Stand chanted Tina Tina Tina at him the whole game.

"Shilton was arrested for drink-driving after being found at 5am in a country lane with a woman called Tina in his car. When Tina's husband Colin arrived he said the pair were partially clothed. Shilton hurriedly drove away and crashed into a lamppost. He admitted 'taking a lady for a meal' and was fined £350 and banned from driving for 15 months."

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Could well have been. My strongest memory of that time/nature is when Peter Shilton came, and the North Stand chanted Tina Tina Tina at him the whole game.

"Shilton was arrested for drink-driving after being found at 5am in a country lane with a woman called Tina in his car. When Tina's husband Colin arrived he said the pair were partially clothed. Shilton hurriedly drove away and crashed into a lamppost. He admitted 'taking a lady for a meal' and was fined £350 and banned from driving for 15 months."

5000 pissed blokes chanting " peter shilton , peter shilton .....does your missus know you're here.....does your missus know you're here??"......how we laughed and so did he ....he took some shit that day ...!!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
If my memory serves me correctly it was a Tuesday night in August 1985 and Sheffield United were the visitors to the Goldstone, John Burridge was the goalkeeper under scrutiny by the North Stand, and I recall at some point the PA announcer either Tony Millard or John Henty asked the North Stand to stop the abusive chant.

I was in the Chicken Run that night as it was a warm summer's evening, but were any current NSCers in the North Stand that night and gave the ex Palace keeper some stick?

If i recall,it was a 0-0 draw albeit an entertaining one !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Was that the game where he did a full on warm up routine on the pitch before the game to a chorus of piss taking? If so, yes I was there.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Being a JCL I have no idea of the origins of it but just wanted to say every time I hear it it makes me smile.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
From my visits to the Albion museum, I think the real origin of 'Youuuuuuuure shit aahhhhh' comes from the early neanderthal period.
A well off caveman tribe from Hove were out walking over the south downs, when they bumped into a rather ultra low brow tribe from the Croydon area, who were graffiting a neighbours cave.
This prompted a volley off abuse from both tribes, which ended with the Hove tribe shouting out..........:D

Tim Carder please confirm this :thumbsup:

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
Taking mini-exile to their first Albion game the sound of thousands of adults doing this at every goal kick amused and entertained them more than any of the action on the pitch.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
What amazes me about this chant is that, despite it being over 35 years old, every time it is used people laugh as though it's the first time they've heard it. Incredible

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Was never 100% on whether it originated with us, or whether we just added the extended ‘aaaaaarrrrrr’s onto a pre-existing chant in wider usage around the grounds.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was never 100% on whether it originated with us, or whether we just added the extended ‘aaaaaarrrrrr’s onto a pre-existing chant in wider usage around the grounds.

Pretty sure it was around in the 70s.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I had no idea it originated with us. I'd assumed it was done everywhere.

I’m sure I remember first hearing it on MOTD before it got picked up by us. It was in general use at all grounds for a while.

I’m sure we added the longer aaaaasrrrrgggghhhhhh though - and repeating it every time the ball was touched until we won it back.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here