Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Cast Iron Bath - repairs and re-enameling

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We have an old cast iron bath dating from the 30s most likely that has a couple of chips, a bit of a crack by the tap. Obviously these things can be repaired and re-enameled.

There are a few national franchised companies providing this service, I wonder if anyone had any recommendations for someone locally they might have used or know do a good job?

It's a nice old bath so even though the process might be as much as a new bath, would rather keep the old.

Thanks.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
obviously can't help with local but have used resurfacers for private and business use....it's all old bollox , lasts about 5 or 6 years tops.....if you know a good painter just get him to do an epoxy repair on the chips and cracks , a couple of coats of good quality under coat /primer and then a top coat of an ultra enamel oil based paint....you'll get the same outcome...imho...:thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We have an Art deco bathroom suite, it has been previously refinished, and has lasted well, we've had it 15 years and it need re doing . . . . its too bloody heavy to take anywhere, but we've been looking at doing the same . . .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Easy enough job, should only take a couple of minutes.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We have an old cast iron bath dating from the 30s most likely that has a couple of chips, a bit of a crack by the tap. Obviously these things can be repaired and re-enameled.

There are a few national franchised companies providing this service, I wonder if anyone had any recommendations for someone locally they might have used or know do a good job?

It's a nice old bath so even though the process might be as much as a new bath, would rather keep the old.

Thanks.

Wait till you go and try to find a cleaner - Its usually in a list of their don't do's

Don't do ironing

Don't do washing

Don't do windows

Don't change bedding

Don't do mirrors

Don't do ''Cast iron baths''

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

It's about time you got a new bath if you've had it that long, it doesn't owe you anything if it was fitted in the 30s
:whistle: :smile:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Wait till you go and try to find a cleaner - Its usually in a list of their don't do's

Don't do ironing

Don't do washing

Don't do windows

Don't change bedding

Don't do mirrors

Don't do ''Cast iron baths''

I'm not surprised as half of your list isn't cleaning :smile:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Have you tried disconnecting it and then connecting it back up again ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
obviously can't help with local but have used resurfacers for private and business use....it's all old bollox , lasts about 5 or 6 years tops.....if you know a good painter just get him to do an epoxy repair on the chips and cracks , a couple of coats of good quality under coat /primer and then a top coat of an ultra enamel oil based paint....you'll get the same outcome...imho...:thumbsup:

I'll give this some thought! Thanks for the tip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here