Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] HELP: Draining a radiator. What am I doing wrong?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
A friend has asked me to reaffix a radiator which has come away from her wall. To do this I need to remove the radiator in order to resecure the brackets.

I'm trying to empty the radiator but it doesn't seem to be emptying.

First I turned off the two valves (clockwise) on either end of the radiator.

2019-11-24 11.57.37.jpg

2019-11-24 11.58.38.jpg

Then I loosened the connecting nut to drain the water.

2019-11-24 11.59.14.jpg

Then I opened the bleed valve at the top of the radiator.

2019-11-24 11.59.44.jpg

However once I open the bleed valve a thin stream of water spurts out from a little hole in the bleed valve and doesn't diminish or stop which suggests water is still getting in to the radiator.

Can anyone with any plumbing knowledge advise. If I have turned both valves off fully why is water still entering the radiator? What have I done wrong?

Thanks in anticipation of some sensible responses together with the inevitable facetious ones.
(Ignore last sideways photo. Not sure why it's even there and can't delete)

Attachments

• 20191123_125736.jpg
    20191123_125736.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 257

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
probably one or both valves are failing? easiest way would be to drain the entire system, do your repairs then replace the valves (£10) prior to re fixing and refilling the system and bleeding the whole system, failing that toolstation/screwfix sell a freeze kit which you can freeze the pipes both sides of the offending radiator and hurriedly carry out your repairs. id drain the system personally. good luck.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not sure they'll be too happy about all the red marker pen on their walls.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Five minute job :whistle:

Whatever looks to be a simple job invariably isn’t ...ive text Simmo (explumber) if he sees it he may come on and give advice...all the best

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just asking the obvious, you have made sure the heating is off so the pump isn't running?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wallpaper looks gash, I would redecorate first of all

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
So it appears the fault isn't in my workmanship but in the radiator itself. I'll try [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] 's unintentional piece of good advice.
Would it be more likely the thermostat valve causing the problem?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Five minute job :whistle:

Whatever looks to be a simple job invariably isn’t ...ive text Simmo (explumber) if he sees it he may come on and give advice...all the best

Thanks. I did have him in mind when I posted. He's helped me out in the past with previous plumbing advice. I know he's retired now but hopefully that doesn't extend to imparting his knowledge and expertise on internet football forums.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I find it quite amusing that there is a thread on effectively leaks, not far from the Leicester match day thread???

Last edited:

probably one or both valves are failing? easiest way would be to drain the entire system, do your repairs then replace the valves (£10) prior to re fixing and refilling the system and bleeding the whole system, failing that toolstation/screwfix sell a freeze kit which you can freeze the pipes both sides of the offending radiator and hurriedly carry out your repairs. id drain the system personally. good luck.
Ridiculous to suggest all that work for that improbable theory.
OP does the radiator go cold when the valve is closed? If so, how can both valves be faulty?

Freeze kits are only for people who know what they're doing and have done it before.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Wallpaper looks gash, I would redecorate first of all

I agree. Not my personal choice but it was me who did that job too. Female friends without a man in their life can become very dependent, although I wasn't actually a friend at the time so was able to charge more. Now she expects mates' rates all the time.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Ridiculous to suggest all that work for that improbable theory.
OP does the radiator go cold when the valve is closed? If so, how can both valves be faulty?

Freeze kits are only for people who know what they're doing and have done it before.

Yes I believe it does but not absolutely certain. I'll have to check with her as I'm not there at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here