Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Help - new laptop

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Oh wise IT sages of NSC (and Ben's Granddad).

My Samsung notepad runs on Windows 7, and for reasons too technical to explain (also known as "I haven't got a clue why" :dunce:) won't upgrade to Windows 10 no matter how I try - something to do with some built in Samsung software being incompatible I think. As Microsoft in its infinite wisdom has decided to stop supporting Windows 7 in January 2020 I presumably need to buy a new laptop with Windows 10 (which is a pain since this one is working fine on 7 at present). I have turned it off and on again several times.

Therefore could anyone advise on a reasonable and affordable spec that I need to be looking for - amount of RAM (currently got 4 mb on this one upgraded from the original 1mb, processor type and speed, recommended makes and models etc. Also possible suppliers? I will be using it for the usual internet browsing and streaming, microsoft office (word, excel etc and needs to be compatible with stuff I use at work), nothing fancy and no gaming.

I don't want to spend a fortune - this notepad cost about £250 some six years ago but was a bit basic even then, and I'm told it isn't worth upgrading given various progress and developments since.

I don't want an Apple product (can't afford them and never used anything from Apple), and prefer a keyboard and reasonably large screen, so probably not a tablet.

Any suggestions?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As above, Chromebooks might be for you.

How much do you do that isn't in a browser? And if your non-browser stuff is in the MS Office suite, how much couldn't be done in the plethora of online offerings, such as Google Drive and apps?

Amazon have a few Chromebooks in their early Black Friday deals >>> https://amzn.to/2QLegPd

If you want a more fully-featured laptop, I'd be looking at one of these, depending on my budget...

Dell Inspiron 3581 - £279.99 >>> https://amzn.to/34dGJRK
HP 15-da0070na - £349.99 >>> https://amzn.to/33csz1W
ASUS VivoBook X512FA - £399.00 >>> https://amzn.to/35tl8ol

(I'd personally go for the latter if funds could stretch to that. a 256gb SSD should give you speed and enough internal storage)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
As above, Chromebooks might be for you.

How much do you do that isn't in a browser? And if your non-browser stuff is in the MS Office suite, how much couldn't be done in the plethora of online offerings, such as Google Drive and apps?

Amazon have a few Chromebooks in their early Black Friday deals >>> https://amzn.to/2QLegPd

If you want a more fully-featured laptop, I'd be looking at one of these, depending on my budget...

Dell Inspiron 3581 - £279.99 >>> https://amzn.to/34dGJRK
HP 15-da0070na - £349.99 >>> https://amzn.to/33csz1W
ASUS VivoBook X512FA - £399.00 >>> https://amzn.to/35tl8ol

(I'd personally go for the latter if funds could stretch to that. a 256gb SSD should give you speed and enough internal storage)
If I can afford the Asus, there are two styles.
AMD RS / 8GB / 256 GB, or Intel i5 /4GB / 256 GB. Which is the better option?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Whatever you do don't buy from Laptop Outlet in Ilford.

I bought a new one from them in late August, costing £478, and it developed a fault in Mid September.

Have been arguing the toss with them since. After writing to their CEO a couple of times they just ignore me.

Got to send case to Retail Ombudsman this week!!!

Problem is I need the new laptop. Am using my old one held together with elastic bands!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If I can afford the Asus, there are two styles.
AMD RS / 8GB / 256 GB, or Intel i5 /4GB / 256 GB. Which is the better option?

always take more memory, you wouldnt notice processor difference.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

My Samsung notepad runs on Windows 7, and for reasons too technical to explain (also known as "I haven't got a clue why" :dunce:) won't upgrade to Windows 10 no matter how I try - something to do with some built in Samsung software being incompatible I think.

Check on this page first:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/windows10-update/

If your laptop isn't one of models listed it can take a Windows 10 update.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Check on this page first:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/windows10-update/

If your laptop isn't one of models listed it can take a Windows 10 update.
Tried that, but every time I attempted an upgrade when it was free, I kept getting the same error message and it fell over (don't recall what but something to do with the graphics card).
The notepad is from 2012 so it's been around a bit.

Re desktop. I still have an old XP model that I rarely turn on. They're just a bit inflexible.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

My Samsung notepad runs on Windows 7, and for reasons too technical to explain (also known as "I haven't got a clue why" :dunce:) won't upgrade to Windows 10 no matter how I try - something to do with some built in Samsung software being incompatible I think. As Microsoft in its infinite wisdom has decided to stop supporting Windows 7 in January 2020 I presumably need to buy a new laptop with Windows 10 (which is a pain since this one is working fine on 7 at present). I have turned it off and on again several times.

Therefore could anyone advise on a reasonable and affordable spec that I need to be looking for - amount of RAM (currently got 4 mb on this one upgraded from the original 1mb, processor type and speed, recommended makes and models etc. Also possible suppliers? I will be using it for the usual internet browsing and streaming, microsoft office (word, excel etc and needs to be compatible with stuff I use at work), nothing fancy and no gaming.

I don't want to spend a fortune - this notepad cost about £250 some six years ago but was a bit basic even then, and I'm told it isn't worth upgrading given various progress and developments since.

I don't want an Apple product (can't afford them and never used anything from Apple), and prefer a keyboard and reasonably large screen, so probably not a tablet.

Any suggestions?
I’m in exactly the same situation. Seems that we’re being forced to buy a new pc. I’m not at all technically minded so I’m buying a Dell refurb via Geeks on Wheels: I’ve used them before and they will come to my house and transfer any data I need from old pc to new

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Before lashing out money on new hardware it may be worth asking what 'stopping supporting' actually means. The laptop won't die overnight.

Microsoft did the same with XP and there are still thousands, if not millions, of devices using it. I think cash registers in shops and some ATMs still run on XP.

If you have basic requirements and are covered by security software it may not be a problem. Although there are always security issues that are resolved at the Microsoft level.

The Microsoft website says this "While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10."

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Why not get a desktop?

Pros

- A lot more for your money
- Easy to repair/upgrade yourself
- Last considerably longer
- Can customise every aspect of it
- Better for avoiding RSI's

I used to go through laptops every few years. Then I upgraded to a desktop. My current one is going strong after 5 years with little to no reduction in performance.

Unless you really need to take your computer outside your home, or you just lack the space in your household for a desktop, seriously consider getting one. Aside from mobility, there are no advantages to laptops, but many many disadvantages.

I agree, whether using for work or leisure at home I prefer to be using a nice desktop (tower) with a big screen and a proper keyboard and mouse. I have a tablet for farting around on and have had laptops but IMO they just don't compare as a user experience.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Why not get a desktop?

Pros

- A lot more for your money
- Easy to repair/upgrade yourself
- Last considerably longer
- Can customise every aspect of it
- Better for avoiding RSI's

I used to go through laptops every few years. Then I upgraded to a desktop. My current one is going strong after 5 years with little to no reduction in performance.

Unless you really need to take your computer outside your home, or you just lack the space in your household for a desktop, seriously consider getting one. Aside from mobility, there are no advantages to laptops, but many many disadvantages.

I echo this sentiment, I have a desktop which is now 10 years old and going strong. I paid around £200 for the parts and a friend of mine assembled it together

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

Any suggestions?

Exactly the same scenario as you - Samsung RV520 which I have used happily for seven or eight years.
But with Windows 7 no longer being fully maintained by Microsoft after January, I decided to get a new laptop as despite what others have said, the fallout from a situation where, perhaps due to age, it ceased to work altogether doesn't bear thinking about.
I took delivery on Saturday of a HP Pavilion 15-cs20 18na which although £499 has a decent spec., Intel core i5 processor, 8gb RAM and 512gb solid state drive with B & O speakers, is exclusive to John Lewis and Partners.
Early days but seems to be the business once I can get my head around Windows 10.
Good luck !

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Why not get a desktop?

In my office I have three old broken laptops (well the hard drives from them) and even my latest laptop has no screen so works off an external screen.
Meanwhile I have a very old XP desktop that never lets me down and has all my accounts on it. Reason being, £1000 worth of Sage requires £350 upgrade for windows 10.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I bought a Chromebook this year and have never looked back. Solid state build, so no fans constantly whirring away. Superb battery life, I can watch iPlayer on it the whole evening and it barely makes a dent. No cumbersome OS, so it boots up and shuts down within seconds. For general web browsing its perfection as far as I'm concerned.

I don't use Microsoft Office / Excel etc on it though, so I can't vouch for how compatible a Chromebook is, if thats an important aspect for you. I'll never buy another Windows machine again though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here