Votes: 41 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 63 60.6%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was alright, anything with Eddie Yeats in will always be worth a watch.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
10 pm on a Fridat night is not going to get you the most considered result.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
only once you've sorted out what to replace with.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Queen ROCKS!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I would start with the House of Lords to be replaced by a senate style, voted by the people, upper house.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would start with the House of Lords to be replaced by a senate style, voted by the people, upper house.
Yep.

I can't think of any examples where voted representation hasn't been anything other than 100% successful for the people doing the voting...

...oh wait.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yep.

I can't think of any examples where voted representation hasn't been anything other than 100% successful for the people doing the voting...

...oh wait.

Yep,

We are after 100% success or it is not worth doing.

I like the unofficial motto of the senate over here in Australia "Keep the ******** honest"

Not that the UK needs such a thing when you insist on continually voting for the Tories. It is fine to have another bunch of over entitled rich folk making sure they are looking after everything. And once you leave the EU they will be afforded even more of a free reign to make themselves.... sorry no I mean the UK ..... prosper.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

That makes sense.

However to be a senator, you must be nominated by the people, not just be a Brexiteer standing down for a Tory MP to have a clear run. Senators won’t be able to apply or campaign but I think 10yr stints would be better than lifetime peerages. Less than a hundred senators would be ideal.

We only have one elected group in our democracy out of the three levels (HoS, HoL & Monarchy). Progressive set-ups like the EU will have two elected groups with the unelected group at the bottom of the pile full of experts making policy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We only have one elected group in our democracy out of the three levels (HoS, HoL & Monarchy). Progressive set-ups like the EU will have two elected groups with the unelected group at the bottom of the pile full of experts making policy.

except the EU has one elected group, with power similar to the Lords.

for a reformed Lords we shouldnt be wedded to election, as it creates problems of its own (when same as common a free pass, or different then blocks). and there is a lot of merit to having well versed ex-ministers and politicans there, they know whats going on, without the need to tie a party line. a mix of some elected, some appointment, including from each county would be a good idea. all this probably misses the main, more important question, what powers would this second chamber have?

and all of this is rather removed from the question in hand about the monarch as head of state. would we want a US style one (near all powerful), Irish style (ceremonial) or something in between.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That makes sense.

However to be a senator, you must be nominated by the people, not just be a Brexiteer standing down for a Tory MP to have a clear run. Senators won’t be able to apply or campaign but I think 10yr stints would be better than lifetime peerages. Less than a hundred senators would be ideal.

I rather like this idea for the HoL but my only concern is that it would become somewhat X Factor like. Can you imagine all those people that watch shit like Love Island teaming together and nominating some blonde bimbo off it ?

As for the Royal Family - I'd rather have a non-political Head of State, even if it's by the chance of birth, than a President Johnson, Corbyn, Blair, Thatcher etc.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It would be interesting to see whether attitudes change once Charles is in charge, as I think Liz is popular in a way he isn't which can change a lot of views.

Personally not much fussed either way. In an actual referendum I'd be a voter who could be swayed.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Could you imagine the UK with a republic form of government like the US? Senators (2 from each county) and then a 400 or so House of Representatives.and a President elected by electoral college.

What would be the way to abolish the monarchy? Have Charles, William, George, Charlotte, Louis, Harry etc. all put to death?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It would be interesting to see whether attitudes change once Charles is in charge, as I think Liz is popular in a way he isn't which can change a lot of views.

Personally not much fussed either way. In an actual referendum I'd be a voter who could be swayed.

250px-Charles_in_Charge.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here