Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] BBC Sounds App

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m all for things improving so was quite looking forward to the new way to listen to BBC radio/catch up/ podcasts.

It is me or does anyone else find it a nightmare. Barely navigable, really tricky to locate programs, cuts out and takes ages to anchor itself?

A real downgrade from the old app imo.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I’m all for things improving so was quite looking forward to the new way to listen to BBC radio/catch up/ podcasts.

It is me or does anyone else find it a nightmare. Barely navigable, really tricky to locate programs, cuts out and takes ages to anchor itself?

Yes, was quite sad when my old BBC player refused to open and I was told to get BBC Sounds, bit of a backwards step

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Loved the old player App on my Dell tablet, bluetoothed to a speaker. Then with the new shiney BBC Sounds App, oh sorry, it's not compatible with my tablet. Ok, no worries, I'll just type in the web-page and use that directly - nah, never loads, just constant buffering.

So now I never get to listen to the great Don Letts unless i listen live.

Big shame and an unwanted change by the BBC.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's awful, takes alot longer to find the programmes I want to catch up on. Have they commented, any plans to update it?

Glad it’s not just me. In fact reviews online universally pan it.
The old radio iPlayer was perfect, never had any issues.
Seems like such an odd move.

To answer your question I have not seen any BBC comments at all. Bit crap seeing as we fund it.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Its gone a bit gay. Like the Albion app. They were fine as they were.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
6 or 7 clicks to get to the content I want instead of one or two

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
chaileyjem might have a view on this. Personally I use it far more than the old app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I tend to use audible and or Apple for podcasts instead and my old school digital radio for live stuff. Just a bit irritating that I can get all the bbc stuff on one app. Which is kind of the least one would expect from the bbc app :-(

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seems I'm in the minority but I prefer Sounds to the old iplayer radio app or whatever it was.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've usually cycled 10 minutes before radio 6 tunes in. Most annoying. And some days, usually in the evening, it tries for an age, can't do it, and spotify gets turned on instead. A partial mystery to me, but so much tends to be.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I remember this in the background from when I was doing the washing up last month or so.

The chap in charge of the app on Feedback for 6 minutes; he unfortunately seems to have an unsympathetic tone but is quite straightforward. I'm among the grumblers but tech being what it is, have come to grudgingly accept not that things get updated, but that they get updated more frequently nowadays. The times of buying something and using it for years and years (my mum has a fridge she keeps veg in that's older than me) are long gone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000951h#t=6m59s

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Paging [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION]

Any idea if it was a legal reason or technical reason why the Grand Prix was not on BBC Sounds yesterday afternoon? I went for a run and wanted to listen to it, but the football was on 5Live and the cricket on Sports Extra. I guess there was no "spare station" to house it, but it still seemed strange that it wasn't accommodated somehow.

In the end I figured out that I could use the BBC Sports app to listen to it, as long as I turned the Auto-Lock off on my phone (ie the screen stayed on throughout).

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Paging [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION]

Any idea if it was a legal reason or technical reason why the Grand Prix was not on BBC Sounds yesterday afternoon? I went for a run and wanted to listen to it, but the football was on 5Live and the cricket on Sports Extra. I guess there was no "spare station" to house it, but it still seemed strange that it wasn't accommodated somehow.

In the end I figured out that I could use the BBC Sports app to listen to it, as long as I turned the Auto-Lock off on my phone (ie the screen stayed on throughout).

That's the main reason I ditched the Sports App (sound switches off when Auto-Lock kicks in). Nearly as bad was the fact that it hijacked my browser and switched me into the app without asking. It was like being kidnapped

:rant:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was so disappointed in the new app compared to the old radio player that I even left a negative review on the Play store. Just adding my voice to the countless other negative reviews on it really.

However, over time I have gradually got more and more used to it and now doesn't seem quite so bad. Can finally find the playlist for Gilles Peterson's show now for instance, whereas it seemed to disappear for a while, or at least I couldn't seem to navigate the amount of clicks needed to reach it.

If I had the choice though, I would still go back to the old Player app.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here