Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] January sunshine

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, but the Levada's only have something like a 1Degree incline to them, that's where to walk. Failing that there are buses, cable cars and baskets to ride in and great fun eating the Espada, the limpets were rather nice too.
I just couldn't cram enough of the islands garlic bread into my fat little face.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you already know but avoid Tenerife unless you fancy a Theme Park called Chavland

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m liking the look of the walking opportunities in Madeira but also Fuertoventura. If logistics work out, I might do both. I work 4 on/4 off so taking just 8 days leave is giving me a whopping 24 days to play with.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Highly recommend Fuerteventura and the sleepy stunning village of El Cotillo. Best surfing in the Canaries at one end of the village, lush blue lagoons and pristine white sand set in black volcanic rock at the other end. Google images is your friend here. Oh, and the food is gorgeous.

I agree with the island but I go a little north of El Cotillo. The main town, Corallejo, has a better choice of bars and restaurants without being noisy. Some shopping centres and the huge sand dune beaches within walking distance, basically, a bit more to do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We did actually dodge this and took a cab instead, didn't dodge the Espada though, or the Coral beer. Espada is lovely.
Coward - We did it.

Cable car up, picnic basket down.

My only regret was not getting my arse out of bed early enough to mooch around the fish market.

Dunno if it's improved but there was a lot of stray dogs roaming around Funchal.
I was absentmindedly petting a corgi type thing while having early evening cocktails!

It turned out this poor thing was manky as fook, I doubt it had any attention for quite a while.
He repaid my kindness, when we left the bar by walking in front barking at anyone to cross our path.

I am being serious this mangy dog barked our path through the city centre until we could no longer stand everybody staring at us.
We ducked down some steps at the marina and pressed ourselves against the harbour wall, until he'd gone. :lol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Coward - We did it.

My only regret was not getting my arse out of bed early enough to mooch around the fish market.

Dunno if it's improved but there was a lot of stray dogs roaming around Funchal.
I was absentmindedly petting a corgi type thing while having early evening cocktails!

It turned out this poor thing was manky as fook, I doubt it had any attention for quite a while.
He repaid my kindness, when we left the bar by walking in front barking at anyone to cross our path.

I am being serious this mangy dog barked our path through the city centre until we could no longer stand everybody staring at us.
We ducked down some steps at the marina and pressed ourselves against the harbour wall, until he'd gone. :lol:

But, who hasn't picked up a dog on a Friday night ?

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Coward - We did it.

You uncaring ******* Stat, I expected better from you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We’re going to Morocco for 8 days at end of January. Never been before but it comes highly recommended

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You uncaring ******* Stat, I expected better from you.
Hey, this poor thing had already done well out of me and was clearly short a few kibbles.

A classic case of something really funny that got taken too far, in this case about 1/4 mile. :lol:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've been to Madeira a couple of times and really like Funchal but should point out that the weather in January isn't guaranteed to be warm. The higher up levada walks and anywhere not on the south or east coast will 100% need a jacket.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh we also went to Sharm, in January.

That was ok.
I loved the diving, but it was very false, granted we didn't explore much.

I'd definitely recommend Madeira over Sharm, irrespective of the political climate.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Cape Verde in particular Boa Vista is great place for a winter break. Go all inclusive though.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here