Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] January sunshine

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hello you lovely lot!

Looking to get away , pref short (ish) haul in mid jan for ten days or so. But would love some sunshine and heat. Any ideas? Flexible on price, flights and duration.
So far I thought Gran Canaria as it has the warmth. Any personal recommendations and why?

Cheers!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Highly recommend Fuerteventura and the sleepy stunning village of El Cotillo. Best surfing in the Canaries at one end of the village, lush blue lagoons and pristine white sand set in black volcanic rock at the other end. Google images is your friend here. Oh, and the food is gorgeous.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fuertaventura or Lanzarote are just as good, going to Lanzarote in February

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Gran Canaria is not that warm in January is it?

I'd suggest Florida which I know fails the short-haul test. We've been quite frequent visitors but went for just a week in February, slightly worried we'd feel it was too much of a trek for such a short stay, but it absolutely wasn't. We didn't do any theme parks and largely chilled, swam and enjoyed the sun.

Out of school holiday season you'll get cheap flights, and you can pay as much or as little as you want for accommodation.

I imagine it would be a fair bit warmer than Gran Canaria is, if warmth is your thing.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fuertaventura? That sounds good, especially the sleepy village. Not a surfer but bobbling about, eating a good meal, sipping a beer, getting out for a stroll. That’s my plan. Thank you, I shall investigate.
Also will check Lanzarote.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Gran Canaria is not that warm in January is it?

I'd suggest Florida which I know fails the short-haul test. We've been quite frequent visitors but went for just a week in February, slightly worried we'd feel it was too much of a trek for such a short stay, but it absolutely wasn't. We didn't do any theme parks and largely chilled, swam and enjoyed the sun.

Out of school holiday season you'll get cheap flights, and you can pay as much or as little as you want for accommodation.

I imagine it would be a fair bit warmer than Gran Canaria is, if warmth is your thing.

Bit of a long hauler but I’ll certainly check it out. Not looking for sunbathing weather but I think Canary Islands are fairly warm in Jan.
Averages around 60 degrees in jan. Thats okay I think.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I found Madeira rather nice, you can walk the Levada's, plenty of decent places to eat, nice botanic gardens and a very temperate climate with nice people, Christiano Ronaldo was born there and he is revered on the island because he funds several charities for kids there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
#TeamVegster - Madeira.

Although you'll need some good shoes, there's very little flat land on the island.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Warning, the sea is flipping cold in February

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just googled El Cotillo. Comparing that to what’s outside the window here...
Looks pretty tempting right now.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I went to Gran Canaria in January and it was plenty warm enough during the day (24-25ish). Only needed a jumper in the evening.

Liked it so much we are going back next year same time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
#TeamVegster - Madeira.

Although you'll need some good shoes, there's very little flat land on the island.

Ah, but the Levada's only have something like a 1Degree incline to them, that's where to walk. Failing that there are buses, cable cars and baskets to ride in and great fun eating the Espada, the limpets were rather nice too.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Short haul there really isn't much more to choose than the canaries if you want a good chance of good weather.
There is Madeira or Porto Santo, Cyprus or North Africa but The Canaries have the better weather.
You can of course be unlucky but I have been several times and it was always mostly sunny and between 20 and 25 degrees.
I bit further down is Western Africa but never been there.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Short haul there really isn't much more to choose than the canaries if you want a good chance of good weather.
There is Madeira or Porto Santo, Cyprus or North Africa but The Canaries have the better weather.
You can of course be unlucky but I have been several times and it was always mostly sunny and between 20 and 25 degrees.
I bit further down is Western Africa but never been there.

Thanks RC, a quick google backs up your thoughts.
I’m gonna have a deep dive into google tonight and check out NSC’s pointers. Great suggestions so far. Thanks!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Madeira is nice.

Need to be fit as it’s very hilly

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks RC, a quick google backs up your thoughts.
I’m gonna have a deep dive into google tonight and check out NSC’s pointers. Great suggestions so far. Thanks!

You are welcome !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I’m well fit me!
Ha! I am a sturdy walker so that’s no probs.

I’ll dig up the details of the hotel we stayed in Funchal. Tui Blue savoy gardens Adult only ...ask for high room

Cafe down the road for lunch

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Go with your instincts on this one clampy. For me, IMHO, Gran Canaria is the best of the four main Canary Islands.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here