Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Glenn Still Worth a Starting Place?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The absolute legend that is Glenn Murray, will be 37 next birthday, and is obviously very close to the end of his playing career, but l'm just wondering is he still worth a bit more than just the odd cameo performance for us off the bench?

He is very different from our other two, regularly starting strikers, yes Maupay and Connolly are quicker, and a lot more mobile, but Glenn has that priceless and uncanny knack of knowing just where the ball is going to be at the right time to tuck the ball into the net.

You don't suddenly lose your skills over the course of one close season. I really do feel he should be starting games more often, and then maybe substituted after after an hour or so.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sadly he seems to be offside more than in a goal scoring position these days.

I am happy to run with whatever Potter decides though and I won’t be groaning if I see his name as a starter on the team sheet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am caught between two views to either start him and tell him to play himself out in the first half then make a substitution or to leave him until 60th minute to bring on if needed. Not seeing him in training I am not sure which is best. Either way he still has a part to play for us until we can replace him with a younger version.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There will be specific opponents where he will still be valuable. Remember what his home goalscoring record is like.

Also injuries - So there’s a good chance Connolly and Trossard will be out on Saturday. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Muzza get a start. If Potter wants to stick to 4-2-2-2, I don’t see much alternative.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm never disappointed to see Glenn start games or come on as a sub as we know exactly what he's capable of. Which doesn't include bursting through defences with the speed of Marcus Rashford, so there's no point anyone shouting the odds about a lack of pace, with flecks of Piglet's pie cascading out of their mouth.

The Leicester game is going to be a big test for this side and I'm intrigued to see how it will play out. Maybe a wise old head like Glenn is just what we need for a match like this.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Glenn is still worth a starting place if it is required.It is a luxury to be able to have him as an option.

Over the last two seasons he has proven to be the greatest Albion striker of all time, arguably better than Zamora.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Has he said anything about a possible move into management when he finally calls it a day? I reckon he'd be pretty good at it. Maybe at Brighton one day – who knows?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The club will buy a striker, in 6 weeks time, (how exciting) which does rather say where we're at now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The club will buy a striker, in 6 weeks time, (how exciting) which does rather say where we're at now.
Maybe.

But we know how 'overheated' the market for strikers is in January. It's like walking on the Sun.

Perhaps it's more likely to be a youngish striker to go on the Tau - Mac Allister work permit conveyor belt for future seasons.

Or maybe it'll be a recall for Jan '91 championship minutes at QPR' Mlakar ?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is he worth a starting place at the moment? Not sure, to be honest.

Will he start games this season? Probably – injuries and/or suspensions are likely to play a part. There is no doubt through – offside or not – that he will be ready and raring to go when he's needed. :goal::goal:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure Glenn knows his top flight career is coming to an end and I'm sure he'll put in an extra few percent if he gets a start, but once the next window opens it would be criminal if the club didn't bring in another striker - I don't see that Locadia or Andone have any future at the Albion.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sadly not.

We were really lucky that he got those dozen or so goals for us at the start of last season but then second half of the season he ran out of puff. He became an offside looking for somewhere to happen.

We now have a new boss who wants us to play quicker and with far more pace and that's just not suited to Glenn's game.

He has been a marvellous servant to us and I certainly wouldn't want my comment to be seen as ungrateful in any way. Even the great Bruno knew when he couldn't do it any more. I'm afraid Glenn's days as a PL starter have come to a close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here