Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] New Zealand v England 1st Test

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
What, the Buttler that was out for a duck, leaving one that smashed into his off-stump?

I know but at least he can keep wicket and Root might find his form. I'm not saying Buttler is the answer and would happily appoint a different captain to free up Root the problem is I'm not sure who that is, but Root being captain isn't working imo

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think Root should be captain. He just hasn't worked. The problem is who to replace him? I think my vote goes to Butler

Not convinced that Buttler should be in the side ahead of Foakes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In this match in both innings England were looking comfortable until Stokes got out, then after that the next 3 wickets were lost for a total of 17 and then 18 runs.

The team at the moment is like a game of Whack-A-Mole; you sort the number 3 position with Denly but then you have a middle order problem without Bairstow.

majnoon

Banned
Oct 25, 2014
I know but at least he can keep wicket and Root might find his form. I'm not saying Buttler is the answer and would happily appoint a different captain to free up Root the problem is I'm not sure who that is, but Root being captain isn't working imo

i agree with you,i really like Root,but i feel he is not a good captain

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Possibly more to do with being racially abused than the cricket itself...................

Didn't that happen this morning as he walked back to the pavilion?

Also without having all the detail - is it possible this could be a England fan 'banter' a bit like the Origi banner at that Liverpool game

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Can’t pin the blame on the bowlers here, Archer is a languid guy naturally he might not look motivated but that doesn’t mean he isn’t, it’s just how he is. The batters are purely to blame, to lose by an innings on a pitch like that is an absolute shambles, Ben Stokes can’t dig us out of every hole we put ourselves in, Root needs to step up he looks like he’s playing with a scrambled brain. Denly and Stokes are the only players who deserve any credit from that shower of shit effort

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Archer does not look motivated at all.

Doubt he’s unmotivated, more likely he’s knackered. He’s been over bowled and overplayed.
There’s a risk of burn out if he’s not managed a lot better next year.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Doubt he’s unmotivated, more likely he’s knackered. He’s been over bowled and overplayed.

Yep, you can't have your impact / strike / pace bowler bowling 42 out of 201 overs. Only Leach bowled more than he did, but not by much.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yep, you can't have your impact / strike / pace bowler bowling 42 out of 201 overs. Only Leach bowled more than he did, but not by much.

So much has already gone wrong with archer’s workload, and the expectation on him.
This is an inexperienced player who was overworked even before he played for England.
He is probably too willing for his own good and will do the hard yards without complaint.
It comes down the captain and the coach to protect and nurture him.
Joe Root, bless him, doesn’t look like he has the nous to manage either.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

This. Root is going to ruin his career if we're not careful. As an ex-fast bowler himself, Silverwood should step in and sort this out

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here