Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] My Spitfire Flight this morning

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Done it on June 6th this year !!!
What an experience and I can't describe how good it is.
They actually let you fly it as well which in itself is worth every penny.
I flew out of Lee on Silent and flying round the needles etc is magical.
You feel every rattle and bump and when you do the 360 loop you feel the full G Force and the smell of fuel as well.
What a beautiful piece of engineering

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Congratulations, obviously the real thing will be better than simulator but as already stated I need to get a few hours time under my belt so I don't waste Mrs Jakarta's money. Hoping to to the Boultbee (Goodwood) option so I can fly back over the Downs and maybe do a few loops and rolls over Sullington!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Congratulations, obviously the real thing will be better than simulator but as already stated I need to get a few hours time under my belt so I don't waste Mrs Jakarta's money. Hoping to to the Boultbee (Goodwood) option so I can fly back over the Downs and maybe do a few loops and rolls over Sullington!

Hiya, did you get my PM :thumbsup:

Oh alright a Spitfire Simulator but the Cockpit is pretty genuine. I hit a significant Birthday in 2020 and Mrs Jakarta is buying me a flight in a 2 seat Spitfire out of Biggin Hill or Goodwood so I am getting some simulator time in so I don't make a complete cock of myself.

First Time flyer so I restricted myself to take offs and landings, some dodgy turns and a very sloppy Victory Roll.

Less said about my landings the better, good job Spitfires don't mind landing (well bouncing) on grass rather the runway!

Mate I went with is ex RAF Nimrod and current Tui Boeing 737 pilot with 18K flying hours. Needless to say his performance was rather better than mine, after a while he was using the Trimming Tab Control (not for beginners) rolling off the top of loops, flying under suspension bridges etc.etc.

A seriously good way to spend £40 and if you go for Lunch at the Cricketers Pub just around the corner and show them You have done the experience (You get a Certificate) then it is 10% off your meal.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra..._Billingshurst_Horsham_District_West_Sus.html

The Simulator Owner and Instructors are all volunteers and all money goes to the Royal Air Force Association Benevolent Fund.

A final sobering thought is that in 1940 I wouldn't have an instructor telling me what to do and freezing the simulator when I ballsed things up of course. They would have just given you the Pilot's Notes, shown you the instrument panel and controls and sent you off to sort it out for yourself. Very Brave Men.
Just wondering if the spitfire experience flys over Cuckmere and 7 sisters? Have seen a spitfire fly over head quite a few times when out that way. Can't imagine the thrill of flying in a spitfire. Enjoy.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Just wondering if the spitfire experience flys over Cuckmere and 7 sisters? Have seen a spitfire fly over head quite a few times when out that way. Can't imagine the thrill of flying in a spitfire. Enjoy.
Yes they fly from Biggin Hill. We get on average 2 a day over Chiddingly in the summer, on their way to the Seven Sisters.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Oh alright a Spitfire Simulator but the Cockpit is pretty genuine. I hit a significant Birthday in 2020 and Mrs Jakarta is buying me a flight in a 2 seat Spitfire out of Biggin Hill or Goodwood so I am getting some simulator time in so I don't make a complete cock of myself.

First Time flyer so I restricted myself to take offs and landings, some dodgy turns and a very sloppy Victory Roll.

Less said about my landings the better, good job Spitfires don't mind landing (well bouncing) on grass rather the runway!

Mate I went with is ex RAF Nimrod and current Tui Boeing 737 pilot with 18K flying hours. Needless to say his performance was rather better than mine, after a while he was using the Trimming Tab Control (not for beginners) rolling off the top of loops, flying under suspension bridges etc.etc.

A seriously good way to spend £40 and if you go for Lunch at the Cricketers Pub just around the corner and show them You have done the experience (You get a Certificate) then it is 10% off your meal.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra..._Billingshurst_Horsham_District_West_Sus.html

The Simulator Owner and Instructors are all volunteers and all money goes to the Royal Air Force Association Benevolent Fund.

A final sobering thought is that in 1940 I wouldn't have an instructor telling me what to do and freezing the simulator when I ballsed things up of course. They would have just given you the Pilot's Notes, shown you the instrument panel and controls and sent you off to sort it out for yourself. Very Brave Men.

And Women, although they didn't fly them in combat, they were the first to fly them from the factories to the relevant airfield around the country. which is when most of any faults were first detected !. very brave indeed.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Welcome to Wisborough Green
Know Brian the owner quite well decent man , one of the top balloonists in the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

My lad did a simulator experience out at Shoreham airport a couple of years ago where he had to fly a passenger aircraft. Had a brilliant time, and surprised the instructor by flying perfectly under the Brooklyn Bridge first time he tried.

No pressure [MENTION=6741]jakarta[/MENTION] :lolol::wink:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Was your reaction much as this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gErkiuVaWWE

I think she talks about the ITV series Shetland. I specifically hear her say "Oh, Shetland"

Or maybe just "Oh, Gawd" and "Oh, Shet"

Have seen the Orlando one going up a few times, but never been brave enough to have a go myself.
Best videos of these slingshots though are the person who blacks out, the young kid whos mum just laughs as he slips further out the harness, and the young woman who has an orgasm "mid flight"!!! :lolol:

And Women, although they didn't fly them in combat, they were the first to fly them from the factories to the relevant airfield around the country. which is when most of any faults were first detected !. very brave indeed.
Probably the most famous of the dozen or so who were killed was Amy Johnson, apparently shot down by a pilot from Crowborough because she twice failed to give the correct code over the radio. I didn't realise this until now because in the documentary I remember, she was way off course and ditched due to lack of fuel.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Johnson

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Enjoy every minute of the real thing. I did it for my 40th out of Biggin Hill and it was the most unbelievable experience ever. Its indescribable to anyone who hasn't done it. When they let you take control, it's such an ethereal moment, I'll never forget it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here