Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] My Spitfire Flight this morning

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oh alright a Spitfire Simulator but the Cockpit is pretty genuine. I hit a significant Birthday in 2020 and Mrs Jakarta is buying me a flight in a 2 seat Spitfire out of Biggin Hill or Goodwood so I am getting some simulator time in so I don't make a complete cock of myself.

First Time flyer so I restricted myself to take offs and landings, some dodgy turns and a very sloppy Victory Roll.

Less said about my landings the better, good job Spitfires don't mind landing (well bouncing) on grass rather the runway!

Mate I went with is ex RAF Nimrod and current Tui Boeing 737 pilot with 18K flying hours. Needless to say his performance was rather better than mine, after a while he was using the Trimming Tab Control (not for beginners) rolling off the top of loops, flying under suspension bridges etc.etc.

A seriously good way to spend £40 and if you go for Lunch at the Cricketers Pub just around the corner and show them You have done the experience (You get a Certificate) then it is 10% off your meal.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra..._Billingshurst_Horsham_District_West_Sus.html

The Simulator Owner and Instructors are all volunteers and all money goes to the Royal Air Force Association Benevolent Fund.

A final sobering thought is that in 1940 I wouldn't have an instructor telling me what to do and freezing the simulator when I ballsed things up of course. They would have just given you the Pilot's Notes, shown you the instrument panel and controls and sent you off to sort it out for yourself. Very Brave Men.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Oh alright a Spitfire Simulator but the Cockpit is pretty genuine. I hit a significant Birthday in 2020 and Mrs Jakarta is buying me a flight in a 2 seat Spitfire out of Biggin Hill or Goodwood so I am getting some simulator time in so I don't make a complete cock of myself.

First Time flyer so I restricted myself to take offs and landings, some dodgy turns and a very sloppy Victory Roll.

Less said about my landings the better, good job Spitfires don't mind landing (well bouncing) on grass rather the runway!

Mate I went with is ex RAF Nimrod and current Tui Boeing 737 pilot with 18K flying hours. Needless to say his performance was rather better than mine, after a while he was using the Trimming Tab Control (not for beginners) rolling off the top of loops, flying under suspension bridges etc.etc.

A seriously good way to spend £40 and if you go for Lunch at the Cricketers Pub just around the corner and show them You have done the experience (You get a Certificate) then it is 10% off your meal.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra..._Billingshurst_Horsham_District_West_Sus.html

The Simulator Owner and Instructors are all volunteers and all money goes to the Royal Air Force Association Benevolent Fund.

A final sobering thought is that in 1940 I wouldn't have an instructor telling me what to do and freezing the simulator when I ballsed things up of course. They would have just given you the Pilot's Notes, shown you the instrument panel and controls and sent you off to sort it out for yourself. Very Brave Men.

Enjoy the experience, you'll be amongst a privileged few.
The RAFABF is a worthy cause :thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I went in the Lightning simulator at Tangmere.
Went supersonic over the Isle of Wight but crashed coming in to land.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It is a twin seater TRAINER with Dual Controls so you get to fly it for a while, hence I don't want to make a knob of myself when given control.

Watch out for Bandits, # [MENTION=6741]jakarta[/MENTION]

Good luck and enjoy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Did this about a year ago, really nice bunch of guys. Found it pretty difficult TBH..

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I think you will find the pilots hands will be resting gently on the stick.....he's hardly going to say ' OK you have control, ' put his hands behind his head and feet on the console.

I'm sure he won't be letting me loop and roll off the top but I don't want to make a balls of simple turns, hopefully I'll be allowed some slack and I'm guessing we will be at an altitude that it doesn't matter if I do!

Anyway a few more simulator sessions beckon...

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I'm sure he won't be letting me loop and roll off the top but I don't want to make a balls of simple turns, hopefully I'll be allowed some slack and I'm guessing we will be at an altitude that it doesn't matter if I do!

Anyway a few more simulator sessions beckon...

Slightly off topic, can you say how much the 'experience' cost and where one can see details, as I would love to look at this for my brother who has PPL.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018

Have you read this?

816jdSiRixL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sounds awesome. Simulator must be good fun in and of itself too I should think? Enjoy your flight, what a thoughtful wife you have.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
For £2750 your can have a flight in the real thing [emoji106]
https://www.boultbeeflightacademy.c...ZQfzMtGiMa-iiwmhgIxdmFV2BK4Fl5S8aAiC_EALw_wcB

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Done it on June 6th this year !!!
What an experience and I can't describe how good it is.
They actually let you fly it as well which in itself is worth every penny.
I flew out of Lee on Silent and flying round the needles etc is magical.
You feel every rattle and bump and when you do the 360 loop you feel the full G Force and the smell of fuel as well.
What a beautiful piece of engineering

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here