Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football programme valuation

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I have a Brighton programme from 1985. It has Justin Fashanu on the cover and is signed by him. It’s by no means in mint condition but Justin’s notoriety makes it an interesting item and someone wants to know what I want for it. I have no idea how to value it so have asked them to make me an offer. Does anyone have any informed opinion on its value?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I have a Brighton programme from 1985. It has Justin Fashanu on the cover and is signed by him. It’s by no means in mint condition but Justin’s notoriety makes it an interesting item and someone wants to know what I want for it. I have no idea how to value it so have asked them to make me an offer. Does anyone have any informed opinion on its value?

None at all, sorry; but there's a Football v Homophobia exhibition at The Football Museum with JF front and centre. They might be interested?

https://twitter.com/SpencerVignes/status/1193891013418459136

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
None at all, sorry; but there's a Football v Homophobia exhibition at The Football Museum with JF front and centre. They might be interested?

https://twitter.com/SpencerVignes/status/1193891013418459136

That’s who’s interested! They’ve asked me how much I’d want for it. I don’t want to be greedy but it does have some sentimental value to me. I got rid if most of my programmes and this one has significance - it’s signed and was from my first film season supporting the Albion. I’m looking for a balance between not being either an arse or a sap.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That’s who’s interested! They’ve asked me how much I’d want for it. I don’t want to be greedy but it does have some sentimental value to me. I got rid if most of my programmes and this one has significance - it’s signed and was from my first film season supporting the Albion. I’m looking for a balance between not being either an arse or a sap.

£2.99 plus postage

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

You either want to keep it or you don't really. If it's sentimental then costs need not apply. Either give it away or keep it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
You either want to keep it or you don't really. If it's sentimental then costs need not apply. Either give it away or keep it.

I want to keep it, but everything is for sale for the right price. It only occurred to me yesterday when I saw it on display and had a chat with a curator about it. He was saying it might be valuable, so I sent them a picture and asked if they were interested. If the Albion wanted it I’d be more inclined to give it away.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I want to keep it, but everything is for sale for the right price. It only occurred to me yesterday when I saw it on display and had a chat with a curator about it. He was saying it might be valuable. If the Albion wanted it I’d be more inclined to give it away.

Football programmes invariably have next to no value. It's never going to make you rich, probably won't even buy you the price of a pint. May as well bite the bullet and do the right thing eh?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Football programmes invariably have next to no value. It's never going to make you rich, probably won't even buy you the price of a pint. May as well bite the bullet and do the right thing eh?

They already have one, just not a signed one. I used to love getting signatures in the chicken run. Plenty of reason just to keep it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They already have one, just not a signed one. I used to love getting signatures in the chicken run. Plenty of reason just to keep it.

Keep it then.

On a similar subject, I have boxes or old programmes and fanzines from the past 40+ years. Any advice on what to do with them?

Clearly I could just recycle them all, but I want them to stay available somehow.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have a birthday card signed from Justin Fashanu that one of the players I knew got done for me at the time. I don’t expect it to be worth anything to anyone else.
Keep your programme, give it to a charity or give it to a collector. Don’t look to make a profit on someone’s generosity in giving you their autograph.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I want to keep it, but everything is for sale for the right price. It only occurred to me yesterday when I saw it on display and had a chat with a curator about it. He was saying it might be valuable, so I sent them a picture and asked if they were interested. If the Albion wanted it I’d be more inclined to give it away.

If you look in Ebay you'll see scores of signed programmes by players of various prestige. They don't go for a lot. I should imagine a lot of folk have JF's autograph.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

notoriety - the state of being famous or well known for some bad quality or deed

Really? So pray tell what you view as being his bad quality or deed. Shocking.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
notoriety - the state of being famous or well known for some bad quality or deed

Really? So pray tell what you view as being his bad quality or deed. Shocking.

Yes, fair point. Apologies, just a poor choice of word. I guess renowned would have been better.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have boxes or old programmes and fanzines from the past 40+ years. Any advice on what to do with them?
Clearly I could just recycle them all, but I want them to stay available somehow.

Keep them then.....

I have loads of old programmes and fanzines, I keep mine in the toilet and have a little read occasionally. while escaping reality (wife & child) and stock the lake with brown trout.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Regardless of Fashanu’s notoriety, a mid-80s signed programme would do well to achieve £5 and might only achieve £2-£3.

A signed player picture (6x4 glossy) has a better chance of selling than a signed Programme.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Many moons ago I ebayed a few of my late fathers 'National Service' collect.
No mark Scottish games from the late 50's early 60's, all in great condition.

I must have sold off a dozen or two, all going for £5 to £10 each maybe a little bit more.

I then put the next few up but unbeknownst to me one was rare, fookin rare.
A League Cup semi final, sadly I can't remember any more details.

My ebay lit up with x amount of people wanting to buy it directly.

I let it run and it went for just short of £100.
I then spent the next few days, fending off inquiries about 'my' collection and if I'd take a price for all of it, despite not knowing what it was.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Many moons ago I ebayed a few of my late fathers 'National Service' collect.
No mark Scottish games from the late 50's early 60's, all in great condition.

I must have sold off a dozen or two, all going for £5 to £10 each maybe a little bit more.

I then put the next few up but unbeknownst to me one was rare, fookin rare.
A League Cup semi final, sadly I can't remember any more details.

My ebay lit up with x amount of people wanting to buy it directly.

I let it run and it went for just short of £100.
I then spent the next few days, fending off inquiries about 'my' collection and if I'd take a price for all of it, despite not knowing what it was.

Programmes from the early years of the League Cup can be very sought after. Albion's first home match in the competition was against Wrexham in November 1960; copies of the 4-pager have sold at auctions held by the Brighton and Hove Albion Collectors' and Historians' Society for £105 and £80 in the past.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here