Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Hammans

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It was an honour and a privilege to be able to attend Lewis' funeral today - and to pay my last respects. It was more than 'standing room only'. While Woodvale isn't that big, there were 60 people outside who couldn't get in, listening to the service being relayed.

Chris (Lewis' Dad) read a superb eulogy; Lewis' sister read from his favourite book, wonderfully entitled 'Pants', and Matt Francis read his own personal tribute.

I will leave it to [MENTION=663]portlock seagull[/MENTION] to say what they club did, but suffice to say, when he told me, it broke me up again.

May your sweet soul rest in peace, Lewis.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It was an honour and a privilege to be able to attend Lewis' funeral today - and to pay my last respects. It was more than 'standing room only'. While Woodvale isn't that big, there were 60 people outside who couldn't get in, listening to the service being relayed.

Chris (Lewis' Dad) read a superb eulogy; Lewis' sister read from his favourite book, wonderfully entitled 'Pants', and Matt Francis read his own personal tribute.

I will leave it to [MENTION=663]portlock seagull[/MENTION] to say what they club did, but suffice to say, when he told me, it broke me up again.

May your sweet soul rest in peace, Lewis.

Truly heart-breaking and terrible for the family. The applause when Lewis's demise was announced at the Amex was lovely and the Leicester fans en masse joined in as well, showing that as ever the majority of fans are good people. RIP Lewis.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's been a long emotional day, a day filled with inevitable sadness but one where my lasting memory will be one of pride.

Pride in Lewis, my eternal nephew for all the joy he brought to this world

Pride in my brother and sister in law for their beautiful tribute, a finer eulogy to a son I cannot imagine

Pride in my nieces, their sisterly love shone throughout the service

Pride in the enormous number of friends and family who came to pay their respects, many of whom had to stand outside on a freezing morning and listen to the service by tannoy.

And lastly, Pride in our club. As [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] alludes, and as my wife commented, above and beyond doesn't really capture it. And so, on behalf of my family, I'd like to publicly thank them for the incredible support shown towards 'one of their own' and we, his family.

Down the years the Albion has made us all cry (!) and that includes me - but nothing like it did today: for shortly before the 11am service at Woodvale Cemetery, my brother and I went to lay a wreath in the Albion memorial garden at the Amex. And as we rounded the back of North stand, there, completely unexpectedly, stood in silent respect were more than a 100 Amex staff, players and officials headed by Martin Perry who'd gathered to greet us and pay their respects to Lewis, his no.8 powerchair football Albion shirt (he selected that squad no. because of his dad's stories about Peter Ward) adorning the back of his coffin.

It was a sight and gesture we shall never forget, a wonderful collective tribute to Lewis that both humbled us as a family and then beam with pride. I cannot really express how touched we were, I only wish I was able to blub more than 'thank you' to Martin and all of those who honoured Lewis and we his family by their presence. A special thank you also to Paul Brackley, Richie Reynolds, Guy Butters and Danny Cullip from AITC who all knew Lewis (and the rest of the Powerchair Football lads) and came to the service too. Again, we were honoured by their presence. Lewis would have been so proud. Thank you Albion.

A finer club simply doesn't exist.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
That one is for you Lewis. Thanks son. Love you so much, always will. We will meet again sometime and analyse games, and as usual you will out stat me

His funeral was the best we could do. Drive past Amex, many staff/players at Memorial ground which blew us away. Sussex by the Sea, attendees in Brighton shirts, and reception at Amex. What more could you hope for in depths of despair. He loved this club home and away.

End of thread please. Love you son.

Dad

Everyone has been very supportive and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here