Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Hammans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Just writing this for my own selfish/cathartic reasons, but I've been here long enough to know that sometimes it helps ease some pain.

My lad died this morning at 5am. He had Muscular Dystrophy so we knew this day would come for the last 17 years, but it was still very unexpected. He was a massive Brighton fan, which was my fault. We were season ticket holders at Withdean and I used to park his wheelchair under the steps of south stand and carry him up the stairs to his seat. We would discuss the games on the way home, listening to Radio Sussex.

In the move to the Amex, I spunked my redundancy on a 1901 seat, primarily so he could stay warm before, at HT, and after games, and we have had seats there since the Amex opened. We travelled home and away together, his first away game being Northampton, and the number of away grounds he went to increased well into the forties.

He was a mainstay of the Brighton Hove Albion Powerchair football team, playing for them for 8-9 years, scoring more than 170 goals in that time. He was top goal scorer in the country in 2016/17 season, qualifying for Champions League football, where BHAPFC finished 5th in Europe.

He never got to represent his country in powerchair football, which was his dream, but he was close. He did participate in a Paralympic sport called Boccia, and did qualify for England playing tournaments in Moscow and Prague. He missed out on Rio Paralympics by 1 place, finishing several years as England number 2, and GB number 4.

He suffered 6 cardiac arrests since Friday morning, and the staff at RSCH were brilliant. Air ambulance in Lindfield in early hours of Friday, and scenes from ER on Friday / Sat. Stabilised after that and yesterday, we thought we saw light at end of long tunnel, but 5&6 happened in quick succession this morning. They got him going after 5, but could not after 6.

That was my boy, and I miss him so much. The pain is unbearable, and so I thought I'd type some stuff to help me remember all the stuff we did together. Buckleys Sore Hamstring never posted much, but will not post again, and I have no idea where to turn. We are all in bits.:cry::down:

Hammans-Powerchair-F.jpg

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just writing this for my own selfish/cathartic reasons, but I've been here long enough to know that sometimes it helps ease some pain.

My lad died this morning at 5am. He had Muscular Dystrophy so we knew this day would come for the last 17 years, but it was still very unexpected. He was a massive Brighton fan, which was my fault. We were season ticket holders at Withdean and I used to park his wheelchair under the steps of south stand and carry him up the stairs to his seat. We would discuss the games on the way home, listening to Radio Sussex.

In the move to the Amex, I spunked my redundancy on a 1901 seat, primarily so he could stay warm before, at HT, and after games, and we have had seats there since the Amex opened. We travelled home and away together, his first away game being Northampton, and the number of away grounds he went to increased well into the forties.

He was a mainstay of the Brighton Hove Albion Powerchair football team, playing for them for 8-9 years, scoring more than 170 goals in that time. He was top goal scorer in the country in 2016/17 season, qualifying for Champions League football, where BHAPFC finished 5th in Europe.

He never got to represent his country in powerchair football, which was his dream, but he was close. He did participate in a Paralympic sport called Boccia, and did qualify for England playing tournaments in Moscow and Prague. He missed out on Rio Paralympics by 1 place, finishing several years as England number 2, and GB number 4.

He suffered 6 cardiac arrests since Friday morning, and the staff at RSCH were brilliant. Air ambulance in Lindfield in early hours of Friday, and scenes from ER on Friday / Sat. Stabilised after that and yesterday, we thought we saw light at end of long tunnel, but 5&6 happened in quick succession this morning. They got him going after 5, but could not after 6.

That was my boy, and I miss him so much. The pain is unbearable, and so I thought I'd type some stuff to help me remember all the stuff we did together. Buckleys Sore Hamstring never posted much, but will not post again, and I have no idea where to turn. We are all in bits.:cry::down:

Sorry for your loss. Feel for you. He's now joined the BHA throng above looking down

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So sorry to hear of your sad news, from your words it is clear that during his too short a life, your son must of brought you much joy from his sporting prowess and sharing the ups and downs of following the Albion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm so sorry for your loss, but you had the joy of having a son who loved the Albion alongside you, for his short life.
There are no words I can say to ease your pain, but thinking of you and your family.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
So sorry for your loss, he sounds like a true inspiration and didnt let his disability affect his obvious love of sport and The Albion. RIP Lewis.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I'm so sorry to have heard this earlier Chris. I actually wept when I heard this.

The on-pitch red mist will be much missed.

You have my sincerest condolences.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I too have suffered similar loss and know what you are going through. Whilst I cannot offer you anything much other than condolences at this awful time, I can assure you that, whilst it seems hard to believe, time will help and you will come to terms with your tragic loss. You won't get over it properly, but you and your family WILL learn to live with it. It is like having a jagged stone inside you - the stone remains but gets smoother with every passing day. Just keep going, hard as it will be at certain times, such as birthdays, Xmas etc, but it really does become easier. Trust me.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
He was only saying last night that he wanted to play this weekend. I said he was too poorly, so he said he would sit on the bench.
Mum died 4 weeks ago, and just don't know where to turn at the moment. Just crying. Want to wake up and find it is bad dream

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No words that I, a total stranger, can type will ease your grief at this dreadful time, but know that I will be thinking of you and your family and send you my warmest condolences. Your son sounds like he lived as a full a life as it is possible for anyone with that debilitating condition can - indeed, a fuller life than many people I know who do not have anything like the problems he inevitably faced. You too are to be applauded - from what you say, you played a major part in bringing him joy and happiness in following and playing for the Albion and at higher levels.

I'm glad that you feel the NSC community is an outlet for your thoughts at this sad time - it really can be an amazing place.

RIP Lewis. RIP Mum too.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
So sorry to hear this. I was just about to post some trite nonsense on the Election thread but this puts it all in perspective. Nothing I can say will make things better but I hope things get better for you, and you eventually come to value the time you had with your son.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What a sad story but a lovely tribute to your boy. I can't think of anything worse than losing your child I really can't. It sounds like he was a great lad though, and achieved plenty.

Rip Lewis, and I won't be the only one thinking of Lewis and his pained father tonight and over the next few days. X

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm sure I can speak for NSC as a whole when I say that we're here to support you as you need - NSC has a record of being a force for good in such tragic situations, and I'm sure it will be if you want it to here.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
This is such dreadful news. I'm so sorry. It doesn't happen too often, but I'm completely and utterly lost for words. Sincere condolences doesn't even touch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here