Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who are our BHA cult heroes?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A footballing cult hero is usually defined as having one or more of the following qualities:

- not the best player in your side and quite possibly massively flawed
- not the most famous, in fact, quite possibly infamous for one or more moments of madness
- a local or one club hero
- someone who has a brilliant moment in an otherwise ordinary career
- better known for off the field antics or their personality than their ability with the ball
- anything else that stands them out from the crowd (appearance, name, nationality etc)
- potentially a player of another club who did something positive for your club
- popular without real reason

So to while away the international break, who would be in NSC’s Albion Cult Eleven? Let’s go for a 4-4-2:

GK
LB
RB
CB
CB
LW
CM
CM
RM
ST
ST

Manager

Over to you

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
First name on the team sheet Johnny Crumplin. Never got the love in myself but he is the no 1 cult figure in my time watching the Albion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Frank Worthington, brilliant cameo at the end of his career and a real character

That guy who looked like a tramp, Paddy McCourt, and only played a couple of games for us, but was bigged up ridiculously?

Last edited:

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Yelldell
Hoyte
Hawkins
Santos
Taricco
Kazim-Richards
Savage
O'Callaghan
Carole
Iwelumo
McCammon

Edit: oh, cult...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Ian Chapman at Left back and then the two flairmeisters who briefly shone, Gotsmanov and Vicente to fill the wing and striker births.

Suggestions for the bench include;
Martin Thomas (anyone prepared to go in for a tackle with his head deserves a squad place)
Stuart Storer and Robbie Reinelt

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Yelldell
Hoyte
Hawkins
Santos
Taricco
Kazim-Richards
Savage
O'Callaghan
Carole
Iwelumo
McCammon

Edit: oh, cult...

I was thinking Hawkins, just for the amazing own goal.

Keeper hard

Digweed - Anyone who loses a testicle for the cause has to be cult, plus the hair, the name, the leggings.
Kuipers - for the back story, the song, the length of service and such a brilliant but flawed keeper.
Meola - flairtastic

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I guess it really depends on your age . . . .

late70's Ward, Horton etc . . . . I always like Peter O'Sullivan as I was a budding winger as a kid.

80's. Foster Case Robinson. laterTerry Connor, Steve Panney, Wilkins, Grealish, Nellson . . .I like Danny Wilson as a player too.

90's . . . Peter Smith! Zamora later obviously took a bit of a break after 2004 . . . . recent history is all too obvious. People seem to have more a dislike for many players as opposed to any love in.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ian Chapman at Left back and then the two flairmeisters who briefly shone, Gotsmanov and Vicente to fill the wing and striker births.

Suggestions for the bench include;
Martin Thomas (anyone prepared to go in for a tackle with his head deserves a squad place)
Stuart Storer and Robbie Reinelt

Definitely Reinelt. Maybe Maskell has a shout for hitting the shot that rebounded to him and the fans United hat trick?

What about Goldstone Gaz up top or the chain smoking, pint loving Nugget Nogan

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Eric Steele - for his Groucho impressions
Paul 'Tank' Clark - "Tank is eeeevil"
Kuipers- "former Dutch marine - CHEF!"
Spider Mellor - the 70s Crouchy

Plenty more but those spring to mind

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Eric Steele purely for the Marx Brothers routine
Peter Smith
Hans Kraay
Colin Pates (Herr Flick)
Harry Wilson
Paul Clark
Gerry Ryan
Glen Geard (A 45 minute career)
Jeff Minton
Richard Tiltman
Mike Small

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Not sure everyone on here has read the opening post about what defines a cult hero. Foster, Ward, Zamora etc are some of the best players we have ever had and so clearly aren’t in the cult category.

As others have said Peter Smith, Gary Hart and Jonny Crumplin are definite examples, I thought Kuipers was a good shout too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here