Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Random things that happen to you

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Life can be strange at times, last Saturday picking my wife up from sainsburys Lions Farm in Worthing when I had the following encounter. It was about 12:45 as I drove through the car park when I stopped to let a large transit type van pull out. Van then stops next to my car and the driver rolled his window down to talk to me, I thought maybe he's going to say thankyou for letting him out. This is how the conversation went,

Van driver in an almost comedy Irish accent "Top of the morning to you sir, would you be after boying a brand new diesel generator"

Me "Err, no not right at this moment"

Van driver "ok sir oill be saying goodbye to you then"

I'm sure it was all above board and legal. :whistle:
but seriously WTF. :lolol:

boik

I got offered a TV in the car park at Warwick services. He seemed surprised when I said "No thanks".

"But you don't even know how much it is".

As you say - a services car park is exactly the place I'd go to sell something legit!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A bearded Japanese boy cycled past me yesterday as mini-Meade and i horsed about whilst waiting for a bus. The hairy-faced teen doffed his cap at me and said: wagwan.
I was also recently called bruv by a rotund white Sainsburys worker.
Language progresses/expands and words and phrases filter through communities, and that is all good, but i mainly thought it odd that i was the recipient of those comments.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I got offered a TV in the car park at Warwick services. He seemed surprised when I said "No thanks".

"But you don't even know how much it is".

As you say - a services car park is exactly the place I'd go to sell something legit!

South Mimms services always used to be good for this stuff.

A chap approached me there once, on my way to an event, as I got out of an Omega Watches sponsored car, wearing an Omega Watches branded jacket and an Omega Watch, to try to sell me a fake Rolex.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
I was approached by an elderly gentleman in southwick, by the old Windmill pub.
We had a very ordinary conversation which ended in him inviting me to his place.

After gracefully declining, he turned on his heels, before marching off, looked back at me and shouted legs eleven.

I had never heard the term before and was utterly bemused.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was eating a Gutbuster in the Market Diner on Comic Relief Day early 90s after finishing my night's work at the wholesale fruit market. An old fella was singing Phil Collins' One More Night. After he got up to leave I started to look through the newspaper he'd left behind. He'd circled a horse named "One More Night". Thinking of this as a good sign I put £50 on the horse which won me £150.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Got shat on by a seagull the other day. Could have happened to any one of the dozen or so punters next to me, in their light-coloured tops...but no.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I was eating a Gutbuster in the Market Diner on Comic Relief Day early 90s after finishing my night's work at the wholesale fruit market. An old fella was singing Phil Collins' One More Night. After he got up to leave I started to look through the newspaper he'd left behind. He'd circled a horse named "One More Night". Thinking of this as a good sign I put £50 on the horse which won me £150.

Was this the old man singing/tipping?

pb.jpg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

calling [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION]

:wink:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Nipped into a pay phone in London one morning many years ago, lifted the phone out of the cradle, my fingers sinking into something soft that turned about to be shit, a lot of it, very possibly of the human variety. Someone had gone to the trouble of coating the underside curve of the handle with crap, about 1cm in depth, carefully hanging the phone back in the cradle and I guess wiping away any excess so the phone looked pristine to anyone wanting to use it. Quite a thing to do if you consider the logistics of it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I had a guy come up to me at the Goodwood Revival a few years ago and told me how much he enjoyed watching me play. My blank expression prompted him to say “you are not going to deny that you are Chris Rea are you?” Obviously I did as I’m not and I look absolutely nothing like him. He went off muttering under his breath when I told him that he was mistaken. Weird.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Shameful after timing

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Today, flying from Holland to UK, the dutch security did a feel over, finished with, thanks Guv

Snap! Well, apart from the location. It was Eugene, Oregon. Bloke told me he takes great pleasure from disturbing passing Brits with a cheery "thanks, Guv" or similar. It all seemed rather cute and quirky until he confessed that it only works on old white blokes. Thanks, bud!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here