Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Kettles

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Because I use a kettle on the gas hob. Putting hot/warm water in means it boils a lot more quickly.

However, mine's a mixer tap - so technically the answer is both or neither!

I was actually waiting for a " boils quicker " reply.
What sort of hot water system do you have?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Because I use a kettle on the gas hob. Putting hot/warm water in means it boils a lot more quickly.

However, mine's a mixer tap - so technically the answer is both or neither!

Is it ? Surely you can make your mixer tap produce hot or cold water ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
To be fair, if you didn't need to start a combi boiler in order to make the hot water, then it would be considerably more energy efficient to fill a kettle from your already heated water.

It's not something I would do personally, as even though boiling it through a kettle would kill any pathogens, I suspect that it might have a particular taste to it.

I have seen far too many dirty cold water storage tanks in lofts that supply hot water cylinders. :eek:
I always use mains cold water to fill my kettle

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I was actually waiting for a " boils quicker " reply.
What sort of hot water system do you have?

Combi - I probably use more energy when it kicks in than I save mind - although if it's on for the heating, it's already burning gas. There's something more satisfying about boiling a kettle on the hob than an electric kettle - don't know what/why, there just is.

Is it ? Surely you can make your mixer tap produce hot or cold water ?

Yes - but the OP's question was about which 'tap', not what temperature!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Combi - I probably use more energy when it kicks in than I save mind - although if it's on for the heating, it's already burning gas. There's something more satisfying about boiling a kettle on the hob than an electric kettle - don't know what/why, there just is.

Yes - but the OP's question was about which 'tap', not what temperature!

I grew up in a house with a whistling kettle on the gas cooker.
I've been to houses with an Aga and seen kettles used on them

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
When I run my hot water tap for eg. to do the washing up, it first runs cold for a while. So to save wasting that water I fill up the kettle. Will it kill me?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I accidentally filled my kettle with water from the hot tap and began the boiling process this very evening. When I realised my error I immediately removed the kettle from the base unit, emptied it completely and refilled with water from the cold tap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here