Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] TV advice

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Thinking of getting a TV to mount on the wall. I currently use a humax box but to keep things clean I want to get a TV with it all built in but not sure what is possible. Is it possible to get a TV which records terrestrial tv etc. Would I need a usb dongle perhaps.

I quite like the LG tv’s and realise I am sounding a bit Bens Grandad but any advice would be appreciated.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If you just want terrestrial tv and you have broadband, a good smart tv will give you all available Freeview HD channels and two hundred others. I watch most of the stuff I would have recorded in one of the catch-up services. I also record on to a 1gb hard-drive when the need arises.
Don't make the mistake of buying a telly that's too big. Use this https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship to get the right size.
You can't go wrong with a Panasonic, although others may disagree.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
When placing a TV, wall mounted or not, for comfort always have the screen where you look across to it or down on it, never have it so you have to look up to it.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
If you just want terrestrial tv and you have broadband, a good smart tv will give you all available Freeview HD channels and two hundred others. I watch most of the stuff I would have recorded in one of the catch-up services. I also record on to a 1gb hard-drive when the need arises.
Don't make the mistake of buying a telly that's too big. Use this https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship to get the right size.

I endorse this message.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Wall mounted only look good if everything’s clean cable wise, if you see a cable it looks very DIY and shit imo.

Actually “drilled” a five inch diameter hole, both into and out of, a chimney breast to hide all the cables. At least six plus inches deep in each direction, then used a tumble drier tubed vent between the two holes to envelope the wiring. Brilliant idea by the Mrs!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Actually “drilled” a five inch diameter hole, both into and out of, a chimney breast to hide all the cables. At least six plus inches deep in each direction, then used a tumble drier tubed vent between the two holes to envelope the wiring. Brilliant idea by the Mrs!
Very good although 5inch seem very excessive I’ve done them previously with a 25mm cut out into the breast.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Should be handy for watching Escape from Colditz!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
TV advice . . . . Don't get one, they rot the brain, even more than chat forums!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
And on this subject.
I'm looking to remodel my lounge and want one of those realistic oblong fires. But has anyone got one sited under their TV, and does it look good or does the fire distract the viewing?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wall mounted only look good if everything’s clean cable wise, if you see a cable it looks very DIY and shit imo.

Depends how far up the wall imho ....mine sits just a couple of feet above a long decorative/practical unit that stores all the media boxes and I don’t find the wires distasteful or shit.....but then maybe I have poorer taste than though

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Depends how far up the wall imho ....mine sits just a couple of feet above a long decorative/practical unit that stores all the media boxes and I don’t find the wires distasteful or shit.....but then maybe I have poorer taste than though

At least no one else had to point it out. :D

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
When placing a TV, wall mounted or not, for comfort always have the screen where you look across to it or down on it, never have it so you have to look up to it.

Good advice. I once made the mistake of mounting a tv on the wall above the mantelpiece. After a week or so l ended up with a stiff neck.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

I currently have a panasonic with surround sound so know they are good. Do the smart tv’s have apps for things like netflix?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I currently have a panasonic with surround sound so know they are good. Do the smart tv’s have apps for things like netflix?

They certainly do. There's even a button on my Panasonic remote control with NETFLIX in big red letters!
There's a little Freeview secret. On channel 100, there are loads of catch-up services. I find it really useful.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And on this subject.
I'm looking to remodel my lounge and want one of those realistic oblong fires. But has anyone got one sited under their TV, and does it look good or does the fire distract the viewing?

We did similar but with an electric fire - it's off in the pic obviously but the 'flames' aren't distracting at all. Built a false chimney breast, added a marble hearth stone and mounted the telly above the fire - height is fine, particularly with reclining chairs. Good things was (ref other comments) we could put all the cables directly through the false chimney breast so none are visible.

DSC_0004.JPG

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
We did similar but with an electric fire - it's off in the pic obviously but the 'flames' aren't distracting at all. Built a false chimney breast, added a marble hearth stone and mounted the telly above the fire - height is fine, particularly with reclining chairs. Good things was (ref other comments) we could put all the cables directly through the false chimney breast so none are visible.

View attachment 117300

You monster...

:ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here