Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC - Plant a Tree!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Saturday 23rd November is the start of National Tree Week.
Regardless of promises made by political parties to plant millions of trees, it's a case of the more the merrier.
Trees create an ecosystem to provide habitat and food for birds and other animals. Trees absorb carbon dioxide and potentially harmful gasses, such as sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, from the air and release oxygen. One large tree can supply a day's supply of oxygen for four people.

How about an NSC Plant a Tree project?

Even if you only have a small garden, there is a tree or large shrub that would be suitable. If you aren't lucky enough to have your own garden, is there a friend or relative you visit frequently who wouldn't mind a new addition in the way of a tree? Or you could approach your local Council and see if you could donate a tree and see it planted near where you live, in a verge or park.
Trees make wonderful gifts, either receiving one or giving one, and what with Christmas looming.
You don't have to plant a tree next week. You can plant it when you want. I thought that anyone on here who fancies this could take a photo of it after it is planted, then throughout the year, post more photos of progress.
There is lots on the internet to help you choose the right sort of tree, or failing that, ask on this thread.

Who's in?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Saturday 23rd November is the start of National Tree Week.
Regardless of promises made by political parties to plant millions of trees, it's a case of the more the merrier.
Trees create an ecosystem to provide habitat and food for birds and other animals. Trees absorb carbon dioxide and potentially harmful gasses, such as sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, from the air and release oxygen. One large tree can supply a day's supply of oxygen for four people.

How about an NSC Plant a Tree project?

Even if you only have a small garden, there is a tree or large shrub that would be suitable. If you aren't lucky enough to have your own garden, is there a friend or relative you visit frequently who wouldn't mind a new addition in the way of a tree? Or you could approach your local Council and see if you could donate a tree and see it planted near where you live, in a verge or park.
Trees make wonderful gifts, either receiving one or giving one, and what with Christmas looming.
You don't have to plant a tree next week. You can plant it when you want. I thought that anyone on here who fancies this could take a photo of it after it is planted, then throughout the year, post more photos of progress.
There is lots on the internet to help you choose the right sort of tree, or failing that, ask on this thread.

Who's in?

Count me in :thumbsup:
Mrs AR did this last year, now we have two silver birch planted up the allotment.
Right next to the HS2 fiasco ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can I backdate my contribution? I planted a Cherry Tree this Summer.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Count me in Jack. Unfortunately there are sad rumblings going round that two of the 3 massive Beach trees in the Rockery have to be felled due to a nasty root fungus which was picked up on a big tree survey recently.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can I backdate my contribution? I planted a Cherry Tree this Summer.

Backdated trees are fine. You've done your bit. Have you room for another? :smile:
I bought and planted a Silver Birch in my friends' back garden as a present for their 25th Wedding Anniversary two years' ago. I'm currently making over their front garden which will include another small tree.
I bought and planted a Japanese Mountain Ash in another friend's garden as a moving-in present.
They really do make great presents and everyone loves them.

Attachments

• Ians Tree 27.5.19.jpg
    Ians Tree 27.5.19.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Bugsys Rowan.JPG
    Bugsys Rowan.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 220

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Count me in Jack. Unfortunately there are sad rumblings going round that two of the 3 massive Beach trees in the Rockery have to be felled due to a nasty root fungus which was picked up on a big tree survey recently.
At least three more new ones to be planted then?! :smile:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’re on a very windy site, which limits our choice of trees.

Three winters ago I planted a mixed native hedge of over a 100 trees/shrubs - Hawthorn, Field Maple, Cornus, Crab Apples, Guelder Rose and Hazel. This summer I planted two clumps of Cornus Alba Siberica Midwinter Fire ... the stems look stunning just now.

I’m currently gradually getting rid of a huge eucalyptus (it’s always devoid of wildlife, draws up all the moisture from the garden and sheds countless leathery leaves that don’t compost). Replacing it in the next 6 months with wind tolerant trees, such as Rowan.

I’d love to plant some Tilia Cordata (small leaved limes), but they loath the storms, so I understand.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've got another five types of trachycarpus to plant. Was going to wait, but I can always mulch them.
I love a Trachy! I've only got two varieties in my garden. The planting area measures 3m x 0.75m, so that might have something to do with it?!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
We’re on a very windy site, which limits our choice of trees.

Three winters ago I planted a mixed native hedge of over a 100 trees/shrubs - Hawthorn, Field Maple, Cornus, Crab Apples, Guelder Rose and Hazel. This summer I planted two clumps of Cornus Alba Siberica Midwinter Fire ... the stems look stunning just now.

I’m currently gradually getting rid of a huge eucalyptus (it’s always devoid of wildlife, draws up all the moisture from the garden and sheds countless leathery leaves that don’t compost). Replacing it in the next 6 months with wind tolerant trees, such as Rowan.

I’d love to plant some Tilia Cordata (small leaved limes), but they loath the storms, so I understand.
You should be OK with your Limes.
https://www.ewburrownursery.co.uk/blog/trees-and-shrubs-for-windy-sites/
After the storm in Brighton in 1987, we replaced most of the fallen Elms around The Level with Limes due to Dutch Elm disease. They romped. What they don't like is being planted near underground gas pipes as the slightest leak kills them off. We had this problem at the north end of the Level. The only downside with Limes is that the aphids love them and the honey dew they secrete will leave a black sticky mess underneath. You've probably seen cars covered in the stuff after being parked under a Lime?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ok Jack, tempted by either a Medlar or a Blackthorn or maybe a Plum next year... sorry, you can see which way this is going ! I love Medlar Jelly, Sloe Gin and Plum Jam/Crumble.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Ok Jack, tempted by either a Medlar or a Blackthorn or maybe a Plum next year... sorry, you can see which way this is going ! I love Medlar Jelly, Sloe Gin and Plum Jam/Crumble.

Lots of Blackthorn in hedgrows. You can scrump the sloes from them. However, there's no Plums in the wild that I know of so that might help you make your choice? There's a Medlar tree in Kipling Gardens in Rottingdean if you're after any of them. :whistle:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lots of Blackthorn in hedgrows. You can scrump the sloes from them. However, there's no Plums in the wild that I know of so that might help you make your choice? There's a Medlar tree in Kipling Gardens in Rottingdean if you're after any of them. :whistle:

I have a source of Medlars at a pals place in France but long term it might be good to have a source on my plot. Besides, I couldn't scrump from the Kipling Gardens, they are beautiful.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You should be OK with your Limes.
https://www.ewburrownursery.co.uk/blog/trees-and-shrubs-for-windy-sites/
After the storm in Brighton in 1987, we replaced most of the fallen Elms around The Level with Limes due to Dutch Elm disease. They romped. What they don't like is being planted near underground gas pipes as the slightest leak kills them off. We had this problem at the north end of the Level. The only downside with Limes is that the aphids love them and the honey dew they secrete will leave a black sticky mess underneath. You've probably seen cars covered in the stuff after being parked under a Lime?

Thanks. Always appreciate your expert advice.:smile:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We're planning to plant at 50 along the edge of our development to shield and protect us from an unwelcome new estate on the field next door. Does that help?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
We're planning to plant at 50 along the edge of our development to shield and protect us from an unwelcome new estate on the field next door. Does that help?

They certainly do. Do you know what species? (The trees, not the occupants of forthcoming estate.)

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Bah humbug....cleared another 100 acres of sussex rainforest. ( in the last two months most sussex woods become rainforest)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here