Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Talktalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I used to have Talk Talk broadband but I changed to another provider but in so doing kept my talktalk e mail address. I have now had notification that from 15th December Talk Talk are going to charge for anybody having an e mail adress but not broadband. How can I save all of my TalkTalk E mails, should I need them.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I used to have Talk Talk broadband but I changed to another provider but in so doing kept my talktalk e mail address. I have now had notification that from 15th December Talk Talk are going to charge for anybody having an e mail adress but not broadband. How can I save all of my TalkTalk E mails, should I need them.

Are they going to block you from accessing the emails you have?

Set up a gmail account and forward any emails you think you might need in future.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Buy a multipack of A4 paper note books, then copy out by hand the contents of all the emails you ever sent or received with your Talk Talk email address. That way, you’ll have a permanent record of them - should you ever need them, as you say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

How do you currently access them bg? Through a webmail, outlook, other mail...

How many do you have, 100s, thousands, more...

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

memorise each e-mail next to a broom dancing, or a penguin pooing, any random, abstract, thing; and then you'll never forget any of them

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove

OK I,ll bite[emoji85]

I,m assuming that you access and keep the emails on the talk talk server.
If you already use an email client on your PC to read your email, then you have the option to download emails from the talk talk server to your email client and store them locally.

If you read your emails directly through the talk talk web page, then you can install an email client on your PC and configure it to access your email account.

Once this is working, use some test emails to be sure that you have configured the client to download your emails to local storage rather than leaving them on the talk talk server. There is an option you need to set.
Check they have been downloaded by seeing that you can read your test emails even when your computer is not connected to the internet.

With me so far?
Now go to your talk talk web page, and mark all of the emails you want to keep as UNREAD.

Start up your new email client, and it will see all of your unread emails as “new”, and download them to the client.

I recommend Thunderbird for ease of use, although I have used, and like, Pegasus mail in the past.
Pegasus has the advantage of being a standalone application which doesn’t need to be installed. Meaning you can just copy the Pegasus folder to any PC you want to read the emails on... or even a usb stick, or writable Cd/DVD/Blue-Ray disk for archiving.

Preserving readable emails from machine to machine using Thunderbird or Outlook is a little more complex.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You won’t have this problem when Jeremy Corbyn gives us all free broadband, BG.

Talk Talk will just be a bad memory.

Viva the revolution.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Buy a multipack of A4 paper note books, then copy out by hand the contents of all the emails you ever sent or received with your Talk Talk email address. That way, you’ll have a permanent record of them - should you ever need them, as you say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not secure - what if there's a fire?

Once you've done this you need to scan the documents back into your computer, for safety.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It's not. Make a folder called keep or archive, keep what you want to keep.
Funny as it would be to have him do it and then lose everything - you are wrong. A folder on your cloud based email is still in the cloud. You need them downloaded to a mail client. But I am damned if I am giving him any more free support.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Funny as it would be to have him do it and then lose everything - you are wrong. A folder on your cloud based email is still in the cloud. You need them downloaded to a mail client. But I am damned if I am giving him any more free support.

He's already mentioned Outlook. We left TalkTalk in January and I did exactly what I told BG to do. I can still access Outlook, and read my Keep folder.
I have a gmail address now which I access through Chrome.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
He's already mentioned Outlook. We left TalkTalk in January and I did exactly what I told BG to do. I can still access Outlook, and read my Keep folder.
I have a gmail address now which I access through Chrome.

If he downloads using Outlook then he has a local copy anyway making it moot. Maybe if it is setup as POP without a local cached copy then this would work. Regardless, it will need someone with the patience of Job to get to the bottom of it.

Edit - he says Outlook account - not Outlook so my point stands.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here