Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Farmers and the human cost of the food we eat

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I take a keen interest in rural and environmental issues and came across this letter in a magazine. I have been able to confirm its authenticity and I find it desperately sad. I am not in any way posting this to have a go at anyone with personally held views about what we shouldn’t or should eat. My post is aimed at those (and there may or may not be some on NSC) that are militant in their opinions and vilify farmers through social media, protests and even with death threats, for simply doing their job – producing food that we all need. Its not an easy job and farming carries some awful statistics,including the highest suicide rate, death and injury rate of any profession in the country. Only now is the whole issue of mental health being talked about in an industry full of very proud and often socially and geographically isolated people.

Of course there are, like in all walks of life, some wealthy land owning farmers whose lives are a million miles distant from that of the lady below. However they maybe high profile but they are also a minority.

Everyone should, in my view, be treated with respect and hopefully love - even when someone is opposed to eating meat or decries intensive farming methods or just thinks that food appears on the shelf at Tesco by ‘magic’. There are many 'costs' (including climate impact) involved in producing the food we eat and at times take for granted. Perhaps we should become a little more aware of the human one.

Thanks for reading and listening.

I’m so tired that I am dreading Christmas.
I am one of hundreds of women who work for no wages on the family farm. My days are spent feeding and caring for calves, keeping them clean and healthy so that they, in turn, are healthy, long-lived cows.
I scrape yards, bed up and will do all the stock work – everything bar the milking. I work seven days a week and haven’t had a proper holiday since 2012. I don’t know what a weekend is.
It saddens me that farmers are considered uncaring and are demonised by some in the media. We are extremely efficient at producing good food for a nation that has no clue of how hard it is to produce.
Food is considered cheap and many seem to have little respect for it. Farmers are the very bottom of the food chain.
I am always having to defend farming practices to my friends, which saddens me greatly. They have little understanding of how expensive and difficult it is to change the way you farm, offering helpful suggestions such as “re-wilding”, “wedding venues” and “glamping”.
Of course, there are always going to be farmers who should not be farming and that bring our profession into disrepute – they should be forced to leave the industry.
But then there is the constant stress and strain of ever-changing regulations that must be adhered to. Keeping everything running smoothly is a battle, too.
I can understand how the serfs in the old imperial Russia took so long to rebel. They were too mentally and physically fatigued to expend the energy.

I too am totally exhausted. My arms, hands and feet ache.

Christmas is looming. This fills me with horror, when all I want to do is crawl into my bed.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Totally agree and support this. I have colleagues in the wider part of my job who are involved in chaplaincy to rural communities and farmers. One is well aware of how badly they can be treated by the supermarkets, how they do what they do because they love it and how some do have to look to other ways of producing income (the letter's reference to Glamping), which is something many would not have the energy or skills to do.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Totally agree and support this. I have colleagues in the wider part of my job who are involved in chaplaincy to rural communities and farmers. One is well aware of how badly they can be treated by the supermarkets, how they do what they do because they love it and how some do have to look to other ways of producing income (the letter's reference to Glamping), which is something many would not have the energy or skills to do.

This has been going on for some time, farmers are getting squeezed constantly to provide the supermarkets with THE cheapest fruit and veg. Lots of sharp practice occurs all of which benefits the supermarket rather than the farmer or the end consumer. I would like to think that there can still be a place in society for the small family run farm rather than having big conglomerates planting thousands of acres of Rape or Wheat that stretch to the horizon.

abc

Jan 6, 2007

The drive to find other sources of income reflects the fact that making a living purely from producing food is almost impossible. I haven’t come across a farmer in the south east who is not subsiding food production by some alternative enterprise. How can that make sense?

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Within my moderate lifetime I witnessed how supermarkets decimated village life and the ideals of community - knowing your neighbours the local plod and the wierdos to avoid. And then when it became convenient the commuters flooded in pretending to assimilate.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How many people are willing to forgo the convenience of the supermarket though?

It's maybe not so much the supermarkets as the striving for lower prices. If farmers are decently treated, food prices will go up........or the supermarket chains will make less profit.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How many people are willing to forgo the convenience of the supermarket though?

My father-in-law's partner spent ages telling us how hard one of her friends is finding it as a dairy farmer who cannot make enough to keep going. My father-in-law's partner was saying things along the lines of 'it's not fair they cannot sell their milk at a decent price', 'the Government should do something'.

I asked her where she bought her milk. 'ASDA' was the reply. 'So, have you thought of buying it from a milkman, or a body that passes more on to the farmer?' I asked - 'Oh no, that's far too expensive'.

She didn't really like me pointing out the obvious implications of her shopping choices, and got a bit huffy.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Isn't it the supermarkets that are driving down prices?

Yes, but I was responding to the "convenience" of the supermarkets. Cost and convenience are two different things.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
What a load of ‘woe is me’ schmaltzy crap contained in that letter, talking about ‘long lived cows’ like she’s got their best interests at heart. ‘Everyone, in my view should be treated with respect and love’ says the OP, just not animals eh?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We have a regular farmers market every two weeks here in Ruislip.
There are people who have been farmers, selling their produce along with homemade chutney, pickles and cheese.
Its another way of income for them.
I think these farmer markets are a good thing, providing the sellers are genuine and not selling stuff they've bought wholesale.
I'm sure there are such markets in Sussex.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We have a regular farmers market every two weeks here in Ruislip.
There are people who have been farmers, selling their produce along with homemade chutney, pickles and cheese.
Its another way of income for them.
I think these farmer markets are a good thing, providing the sellers are genuine and not selling stuff they've bought wholesale.
I'm sure there are such markets in Sussex.

Like a normal shop but not as nice :lol:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would have a lot more sympathy if they showed more respect for our country's wildlife, many but not all just see it as a disposable and no thought for the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here