Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Fear of flying

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
Has anyone actually done hypnotherapy apart from the one poster?

I think some people on here don't get it - we know planes are safe, we know they make noises, we know turbulence isn't dangerous ... doesn't make a difference and i'm so bored of thinking i'm going to die 10-20 times a year.

Something is not wired right in my nut and I need it fixed!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I was in exactly the same position. It got to the point where I took a flight to Switzerland and had to come back on the train/Eurostar. The problem grew and I then became frightened of the fear of flying, if that makes sense. I would do absolutely anything to avoid flying, missing out on holidays and seeing family. Luckily I now have a solution that works for me after seeing my GP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My GP prescribed Diazapan which took the edge of any anxiety but I was flying last month and contacted my GP for a repeat perception which was declined so I asked why and was given some guff about the aviation industry has concerns that individuals who have taken this medication would be less responsive in an emergency!! I said to my GP that was very reason for taking it and they suggested I book a course which was not realistically posable as the flight was by this time in a couple of days so my GP said I could find over the counter remedies which is exactly what I did Gatwick Weatherspoons has a selection and they worked a treat

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Would love to offer some advice but I’m one of those people that loves turbulence.What I do hate though is waiting around in airports........god the boredom will kill me !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuine question; what is it that you love about it?

The only thing I hate about flying is the turbulence; I'm (irrationally) terrified that the wings or engine(s) will snap off if the plane jolts too much!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Genuine question; what is it that you love about it?

The only thing I hate about flying is the turbulence; I'm (irrationally) terrified that the wings or engine(s) will snap off if the plane jolts too much!

I was chatting to a female cabin crew on a long haul flight to Rio and she told me she loved turbulence on her down time, it helped her sleep as she found it comforting to be rocked up and down. I decided she was a fecking weirdo :lolol:

I’ve flown since I was 8 and have had three aborted take offs. I will never be a fan of flying, it’s unnatural dontcha know.

The cut back of the engines, especially out of Heathrow, still scares the shit out of me, even though I know it’s coming!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was chatting to a female cabin crew on a long haul flight to Rio and she told me she loved turbulence on her down time, it helped her sleep as she found it comforting to be rocked up and down. I decided she was a fecking weirdo :lolol:

I’ve flown since I was 8 and have had three aborted take offs. I will never be a fan of flying, it’s unnatural dontcha know.

The cut back of the engines, especially out of Heathrow, still scares the shit out of me, even though I know it’s coming!

I've only experienced aborted landings.

At Innsbruck we were just metres from landing in a blizzard when the captain changed his mind, he never said a word on the PA, the next thing we knew we were landing at Munich. Not frightening at all, just a bore that we then got caught in a 3 hour autobahn jam of Bavarians pouring into the Tirol to ski. At least we got there in one piece!

At Marseille, the airport is on a windy peninsula I think, so it took a second attempt, after turning in a long 360 loop after the first.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Flight_into_Terror.jpg

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The National Geographic channel of aircraft crash investigation episodes is probably not the best program to watch before a flight.

I admit I can be a little nervous before a flight, just because you have no influence on anything that could happen, unlike when your driving a car which is statistically a lot more dangerous
Its not the thought of instantaneous death which is the biggest fear, just the minutes preparing for it if the plane is diving to the ground from 30,000 ft

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I’m one of the 2 sat up the front, you’re welcome to send me a PM if I can help with anything.

Could you 'accidentally' do some acrobatics please?

I read somewhere years ago that a pilot accidentally discovered a frightening take off technique by leaving a packet of tabs behind the throttle lever so less than optimum thrust was used to get the 'plane up and this was taken up by others afterwards.

I often seem to fly with poofs. Nobody else seems to laugh during turbulence and when we had to do a fly past because of unconfirmed under carriage for landing I was hoping it had failed for the excitement of a crash landing instead. When some bubbles hit the rear wing with the luggage buggy once, I was hacked off with the delay in getting airborne.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here