Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of flying

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve never been a particularly anxious person, but I’ve completely lost my nerve when it comes to flying. I’m fully aware of the safety stats and read up on how a plane stays in the air and all that stuff, so I know the fear that’s left is irrational, but I just can’t shake it.

It has meant missing out on a trip I would’ve really enjoyed this weekend, and also previously meant having to drive a ludicrously long way for a family wedding rather than a fairly short flight.

Any advice or tips from people who have struggled with flight anxiety?
    Mrs W is exactly the same. She flew for years quite happily ( ex-husband worked for BA so lots of cheap flights ). Then all of a sudden she couldn't travel on transport that she couldn't get out of - aircraft being a perfect example. Went to therapy but that didn't help. Last year she got a job that meant she would have to fly and so went to her doctor. Now she just takes Valium given to her by her doctor. Knocks her out for the flight and can leave her a little drowsy the other end for a couple of hours but it's extended where we can travel completely. I'd suggest going to your doctor - just as long as you don't need to do too many flights, because Valium is addictive, then your doctor should give you some. We do about three return flights a year and Mrs W's doctor is still happy to give it. Be warned though - it makes you dribble !!!!
    BAN Village Idiots
    The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
    I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      Itís exactly this. Itís fear of the fear. Anticipatory anxiety thatís just builds and builds. Itís horrible.
      Yes. It started to go into months of anxiety for me that built and built. No matter how logically you look at it, nothing eases it and every time it becomes worse. I then also became anxious about the return flight weeks before actually getting the flight out. So even if I did make the outward flight I could never enjoy any trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 Not allowed!
      Diazepam works a treat for me. I know that I wonít be anxious at all on the flight so the fear of the fear is taken away. I donít normally condone a chemical solution, but in this case it has changed things so drastically, it has been life changing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kalimantan Gull View Post
      I have a fear of flying that manifests itself during turbulence, however slight,
      Same but take off is always stressful for me too. Bizarrely I have no fear on landing however bumpy the approach is, probably because I know the flight is almost over.

Any turbulence has me shutting my book, stopping eating and turning off my ipod or the film I am watching, like it’s going to make a difference

I avoided flying for at least 10 years before I bit the bullet again, I still don’t enjoy it at all though.
      Winners never quit and quitters never win -Vince Lombardi

1 Not allowed!
      The very first time I flew, when I was 12, I found the experience horrible, panicked a bit, and dreaded the flight back. I didn’t fly again until I was 21. This was partly avoidance but also it was the era, when things like interailing were what you did. But, as a student I wanted to join a friend on a backpacking trip to the US, where we would fly everywhere. I did some research and found a book which helped me. Where the book really excelled was explaining all the sounds and feelings you will, and might, experience.

The one that stood out was the plane uses full thrust to take off but the engines cut to a lot less when the plane reaches altitude ie hearing the engines go quiet and feeling the plane drop a little is expected and doesn’t mean there’s an issue. This new found understanding, plus a handful of flights to build up some experience and further understanding helped, I’m now fine and fly regularly.

I still have the book, but sadly it’s in storage in the U.K. If/when I get it I will lend it to you. I have also heard very good things about the EasyJet course which others have mentioned.

Good luck.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mental Lental View Post
      Valium.
      Yes. I go to my GP before I fly, and I'm prescribed just enough to cover the flights out and back.
      People who are scared of the dentist or have needle phobia can also be prescribed it.

It isn't logical but then what fear is?
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi
      Members
      Trapped inside the Project for the New American Century

3 Not allowed!
      Always had minor paranoia, and still struggle a lot during bouts of turbulence, and boy Iíve been through some bad ones including massive drops, and also abortive landings. Blissfully just did a 12 hour to Hong Kong and pilot did not have to put on fasten belt sign once during flight which is a first for me

I mostly get quite drunk
      "I have been in professional football since I was 16 - that's 33 years this summer. I have seen and done it all. In Brighton, I thought that I had found a club that sat outside the norm. People who love their club but are realistic about their club's prospects in dire circumstances. That appealed to me. That is what I call true loyalty. Supporting the club as you have done through the hard times. I am prepared to be here through these hard times and to develop a squad as I have started to do in preparation for the day that we all move to a new stadium at Falmer. I need your support, patience and understanding in the long-term because there is no quick fix. I hope you will continue to give me that opportunity." Mark McGhee, 17th April 2006
      Uckfield Seagull I remember the good times's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      My best mate wont fly. As couples we go away for weekend breaks, but always in the UK. A trip to Dublin (not in UK) cost me a fortune with overnight in England and ferry. About £500 for 4 where as Ryan Air would have been £160. He went on the flying course and got as far as the plane door but couldn't get on the plane. He's 70 and misses out on so much.

"The first 90 minutes of the match are the most important"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I've never flown unless I've had to for work.

But I don't have a fear of flying. I have a fear of crashing.

Totally illogical I know. More likely to get knocked down by a bus. But I can't shake it off and I'm not likely to now. Hope you can find a way to overcome your fears though.